Database Administrator II - TELUS Health
Join our Team
Do you enjoy working in a diverse and inclusive environment where you can feel comfortable bringing your authentic self to work?
Are you a naturally curious person that believes learning is a continuous journey? Do you pay great attention to detail? Do you have strong collaborative skills to work on a highly complex system?
Do you prioritize your well-being and want your employer to do the same?
The TELUS Health Network Systems Team knows that we are better together, so join us and let’s make the future friendly.
Here’s the impact you’ll make and what we’ll accomplish together
The Sr. Database Administrator (DBA) will be responsible for the implementation, configuration, maintenance, and performance of critical SQL/MP and SQL/MX database systems to ensure the availability and consistent performance of HNS applications. This is a “hands-on” position requiring solid technical skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and sustaining the SQL/MP AND SQL/MX database systems, ensuring its operational readiness (security and performance), executing data loads, and performing data modelling in support of multiple development teams. The DBA supports an enterprise application suite of software and tools.
If you are ready to join one of Canada’s top employers, read on…
As part of the team, you’ll be responsible for:
- Plan, consult, design, implement and manage SQL/MP and SQL/MX objects
- Configure and support NonStop ODBC/MP and ODBC/MX (Open Database Connectivity) components - define and enforce thresholds governing rules and tracing of ODBC processes
- Participate in quarterly capacity analysis & reporting
- Perform large data extracts and data encryption
- Participate in hardware migration planning and NonStop O/S Upgrades
- Maintain SQL statistics (Metadata)
- Perform technical testing of new version releases for SQL/MP and SQL/MX and ODBC/MP and ODBC/MX
- Configure, test and provide on-going support for ODBC/MX data sources
- Install and manage SQL/MX database
- Participate in data verification process (code, execute SQL scripts)
- Open and manage problem tickets with HP Global Support
- Participate in proof of concepts, benchmarks and measurements and performance analysis and Dry Runs
- Participate in an on-call pager support 7X24
- Ensure implementation policies, procedures and quality standards are followed
- Work with the Development team and client to prepare test data and consult on test scenarios
- Consult with production control to recommend CPU & priority assignment, job partitioning (instances of processes) and scheduling new processes
- Forecast future storage requirements to provide input to the hardware acquisition process
- Consult with and provide feedback to application designers concerning data access, data integrity and data access concurrency/locking
- Promote enforcement of referential data integrity by providing accurate and timely feedback to application architects
- Extracts and masks production data for testing environments
A successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s Degree (preferably in Computer Science or equivalent) from a four-year college or equivalent experience
- 7+ years demonstrated work experience in a Database Administrator role
- Expert level knowledge of SQL, ODBC, SQLCI and MXCI
- Good knowledge in UNIX and Shell scripting
- Knowledge of DDL, Pathway, Spoolcom, Inspect, FUP, EDIT, FTP
- Experience with HPE Nonstop and Shadowbase replication is considered an asset
- Good analytical skills
- Ability to learn business concepts
- Flexibility to take on responsibilities outside of a DBA