Manufacturing Test Systems Engineer
About Tantalus Systems (TSX: GRID)
Tantalus is a smart grid technology company that transforms aging one-way grids into future-proofed multi-directional grids that improve the efficiency, reliability and sustainability of public power and electric cooperative utilities and the communities they serve. Our solutions are purpose-built to allow utilities to restore power quickly after major disruptions, adapt to rapidly shifting consumer expectations and population shifts, innovate new solutions based on the adoption of distributed energy resources and evolve their grid infrastructure at their own pace without needless cost or complexity. All this gives our user community the flexibility they need to get the most value from existing infrastructure investments while planning for future requirements.
Come join us if you’re interested in being part of an entrepreneurial team, solving complex technical problems and delivering innovative solutions that will directly impact the electrification of everything and the decarbonization of our society.
We are headquartered in Burnaby, BC, Canada with commercial headquarters in Raleigh NC.
This role offers a competitive salary plus variable compensation tied to business unit scale objectives. Tantalus offers full health, dental and vision plans, flexible hours, and vacation.
Learn more at www.tantalus.com.
Reporting to the Team Lead, Manufacturing Engineering, the Manufacturing Test Engineer will focus on the delivery and support of robust, manufacturable products for volume manufacturing, and the delivery of these products from EMS providers. Key areas of responsibility include interfacing between product development and manufacturing for new product development and new product introduction, with focus on design for testability, implementing and maintaining production tests.
This is an in-office position and will be based in our Burnaby, BC office.
Specifically, the Manufacturing Test Engineer will:
- Develop manufacturing test strategies, test systems, test specifications, software, and the implement manufacturing tests.
- Ensure design for testability is performed on all products released for manufacturing.
- Process engineering changes, including interfacing with engineering and manufacturing to ensure completeness of the changes, and for follow through of implementation of the changes.
- Coordinate with electronics manufacturing service providers and contract manufacturers to resolve technical issues with Tantalus products.
- Support remote manufacturing for product test related issues.
- Evaluate alternate vendors for manufacturing services quality and commercial appropriateness to Tantalus.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key material vendors and manufacturing service providers.
- Assist and coordinate manufacturing quality audits, review and evaluate product quality of materials and products contracted by Tantalus, including incoming and/or outgoing quality audits of Tantalus products, as needed.
- Provide leadership to junior engineering, technologists, technicians, operations staff, and coop/interns working in the manufacturing team.
- Assist with day- to- day coordination of the Manufacturing Team activities.
- Provide direct day-to-day guidance to members of the manufacturing team as needed.
- Travel as needed, 1 or 2 times per year to contract manufacturer sites and other Tantalus product development sites.
What you Bring:
Education and Experience:
- Diploma or B.A.Sc. in Electrical/Electronic Engineering or Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Eligible to register with EGBC as an EIT, if not already registered.
- Minimum 5 years related professional level work experience in front line manufacturing engineering roles with electronics manufacturing or similar technology industry.
- Sound understanding of electronics manufacturing processes.
- Experience with manufacturing test strategies and implementations.
- A solid foundation in math and physics and a commitment to design from first principles.
- Strong ability to interpret hardware designs, including reading electronic schematics and interpreting Bill of Materials.
- Experience with writing software in C, C++, C#, LabView, TestStand or Python.
- Experience using Microsoft Office products, installation of Microsoft operating systems and PC hardware configuration.
- Experience with Linux installation and configuration.
- Experience with networking and security implementations in Linux environment.
- Experience with both board level and system/box level manufacturing and test methodologies.
- Experience with data collection methodologies, and data analysis for monitoring production yields and failures (statistical process control).
- Experience with change control processes.
Personal Attributes Required:
- A passion for innovative design, as well as a strong personal commitment to performance and documentation.
- Demonstrated ability to scope, schedule and monitor individual deliverables within a team environment.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- A high personal commitment to product quality.
- Must be an independent self-starter, who is flexible and can multi-task to meet deadlines in the midst of operational and organizational changes.
- Excellent organizational skills with a keen eye for detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills demonstrating tact, respect and courtesy.
- Must have a high level of cultural awareness to work effectively with overseas stakeholder.
If you possess some of the key skills and experiences outlined in the job posting and are genuinely interested in the position, we invite you to take a chance and submit your application. We value diverse perspectives, unique skills, and believe in the power of potential over specific qualifications.