Project Development Manager
Svante is a purpose-driven, rapidly growing clean technology company based in Burnaby, BC, Canada, and we’re on a mission to help the world reach net zero with filters and machines that capture and remove CO2 from industrial emissions and the air.
We’re a collaborative, diverse group of people who care about the planet and, through our collective experience and expertise, are working to make an impact on climate change.
If you value a culture that welcomes and includes everyone, and you want to be a part of a growing technology company that’s going to change the world, you’ve come to the right place.
The Role: Project Development Manager
We are looking for an exceptional professional to join Svante’s project delivery and technology package sales organization as a Project Development Manager. In this role, you will work cross-functionally in the Svante organization in tight-coordination with your counterparts in business development and strategic accounts, project engineering, project management as well as Svante’s Product Management and R&D groups. You will harness a strong technical background in process or plant engineering to advance new project opportunities from qualification through successful customer decision-making processes to reach Final Investment Decision (FID).
As the Project Development Manager, you will bring together a comprehensive set of skills across business development, sales engineering, and project development and execution to deliver on Svante’s core value propositions with our customers, partners and project stakeholders. This key role will qualify, analyze, develop, and drive growth opportunities, focusing on the customer/owner business case, and efficiently managing resources to ensure project success.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- You have a minimum of 10 years experience within project-based industries such as Renewable Energy, Oil and Gas, or Industrial Capital Projects.
- You have a bachelor’s degree in Process Engineering preferred or combination of education and job experience demonstrating good understanding of process or plant engineering.
- You have effective relationship and stakeholder management skills with an action-oriented bias towards bringing transactions and business negotiations to successful close.
- You have a strong understanding of capital budgeting processes, project economics, project finance and commercial negotiations.
- You have the ability to work in an entrepreneurial environment while helping to build the structure and culture to bring Svante to the next level, comfortable addressing complex ambiguous solutions and applying existing or new conceptual frameworks to create clarity motivate decision making.
- You have the ability to focus and set priorities in an emerging and often unpredictable business environment.
- You have high technical fluency with excellent communication skills, verbally and written.
- You have a strong business acumen, negotiation ability, and the ability to influence others.
- You possess initial experience with client facing roles in a technical environment , including exposure to long sales cycles in a capital-intensive industry (Oil and Gas, Machinery, etc.).
What Success looks like in this role:
- You will support the BD team in the qualification of identified project opportunities to screen for high-value projects where Svante has a strong value proposition and a tangible path to FID.
- You will take ownership of an opportunity upon issue of a pre-feasibility FEL-1 study proposal and develops and maintains a strategic opportunity capture plan, engaging internal resources as needed, to create a successful roadmap to FID.
- You will be responsible for developing and shaping the technical, economic, commercial, and business aspects of an opportunity to maximize the value for the customer, maximize Svante’s success ratio and ensures execution of the opportunity capture plan.
- You will work in tight coordination with BD and Strategic Account management to develop and manage relationships with key decision makers within client’s organization and understand their decision-making process – understands their project stage gates, evaluation criteria, and risks. Responsible for identifying and mitigating risks to a successful FID both within the client’s organization and externally.
- You will serve as Svante’s primary and lead point of contact for the project from FEL-1 through FEED, coordinating the activities of all Svante’s internal and external stakeholders throughout the process, including:
- The Strategic Account Management and BD function at Svante
- Svante’s Project Engineering, Technology Deployment, Commercial and Corporate Development functions
- Any required interaction with Svante’s Product Management and R&D groups
- Svante’s engineering, procurement & construction channel-to-market partners
- External project partnering, including Project Developer entities, CO2 pipeline, storage and/or utilization companies, renewable energy and natural gas suppliers, capital providers, etc.
- You will execute on Svante’s project delivery model (e.g., Svante’s EPC channel-to-market partners), ensuring clear definition of the specific delivery framework for each project and working directly with the Project Manager in later phases of engineering & execution.
- You will lead the contract negotiations with the customer at multiple stage gates during the front-end-loading process, involving Svante Senior Management as appropriate. This will involve discussions around engineering services, technology licensing and IP matters, future proprietary equipment OEM commercial models, performance guarantees, and risk management.
- You will work collaboratively with the sales, marketing, engineering, and finance teams to support the design and implementation of effective go-to-market strategies.
- You will manage and be responsible for several opportunities at different stages of maturity globally across Svante’s core market segments.
- After every engagement or project stage gate decision, you will ensure lessons learned are analyzed, documented and shared with Svante’s internal team members.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Svante is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Employment decisions are based on merit and business needs. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. This Equal Employment Opportunity policy applies to all practices relating to recruitment and hiring, compensation, benefits, discipline, transfer, termination and all other terms and conditions of employment. All Svante employees share in the responsibility for assuring that, by our personal actions, the policies are effective. Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.