Who we are:
We are a bunch of people who really care about agriculture, food and the challenges facing farming. We want to help farmers with data driven decision making to help nature feed a growing population. Join our team of expert engineers, agronomists, entomologists, crop researchers, and data scientists who are continually conducting research to help drive innovation in agriculture.
Semios is a market leader in leveraging the internet-of-things (IoT) and big data to improve the sustainability and profitability of specialty crops. With 500 million data points being reported by our sensors every day, we leverage our big data analytics, such as in-depth pest and disease modeling, to empower tree fruit and tree nut growers with decision-making tools to minimize resources and risks.
Our innovative work has received several industry awards:
- AgTech Breakthrough Awards Program (2023) - Selected as winner of the “Overall Smart Irrigation Company Of The Year” award.
- Sustainability Changemaker by SDTC (2022) - Named as one of the companies which recognize homegrown innovation in sustainable technologies in Canada.
- AgTech Breakthrough Awards Program (2021) – Selected as winner of the "Pest Management Solutions of the Year" award.
- Google Accelerator (2020) – Selected as 1 of 9 companies for the inaugural Google for Startups Accelerator Canada cohort, who are all using technology to solve complex challenges.
- Global CleanTech Top 100 (2020) – Identified as one of the companies best positioned to solve tomorrow’s clean technology challenges.
One of our partners produced this short video which shows what we do and our positive environmental impact.
We know our journey is only achievable by having a great team who shares ideas, tries new things and learns as we go.
Who you are:
Motivated by meaningful work, you are looking for more than just a job; you want to work for a dynamic, growing company that finds solutions to real-life problems, such as helping the world reduce the use of pesticides and helping nature feed a growing population. Your ideal work environment includes a collaborative team spirit with the opportunity to learn and grow as you take the initiative to try new things.
This is an opportunity that does not come by very often, as you’ll be a part of the initial setup of an analytical chemistry lab which comes with amazing learning opportunities not only in familiarization with analytical equipment but also having a hand in method development and gaining an exposure to the broader business context.
A chemistry student looking for:
- A challenging 4 or 8-month work term starting in January 2024.
- Opportunity to learn technical skills in analytical chemistry, method development, and product formulation.
- Working in a fast-paced environment with a friendly and collaborative team.
- Opportunity to build on their problem-solving and analytical skills.
What you will do:
- Performing sample preparation and gas chromatography analyses of batch records from our aerosol product lines and active ingredient sources
- Performing aerosol performance tests
- Maintaining clear and concise records
- Improving new analytical methods, and assisting with the drafting of associated documentation
- Assisting with product label drafting with our regulatory team
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
We want you to succeed, so you will need:
- To be pursuing a degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or Chemical Technology; Biotechnology, Microbiology or Biochemistry.
- Experience using volumetric glassware, micropipettes, and gas chromatography.
- Excellent written communication skills, and the ability to work well with numbers.
- A history of keeping meticulous documentation and laboratory records.
- Familiarity with Google Sheets or Excel.
- Strong attention to detail (numbers, records, data).
- Flexibility to work on multiple projects at once, both independently and with supervision.
- A willingness to embrace challenges, solve problems, and take on new opportunities.
- Previous professional experience working in a lab.
- Expected to primarily work from the office, with the option for some remote work on designated days.
Nice to have:
- Experience with analytical method development.
- Experience using OpenLab Software.
- Familiarity with Agilent 8860 gas chromatography machine
- Sleep better knowing you're making the world a better place through more sustainable food production.
- Opportunity to contribute and make an impact by working on meaningful projects
- Work with a team that values fun, laughter, and each other in a collaborative and casual work environment
- Multiple office locations, convenient via transit and bike paths.
- Flexible hybrid work hours
Semios welcomes all applicants regardless of race, gender, orientation, sexual identity, economic class, ability, disability, age, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, or status. We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish and we welcome everyone.