Senior Manager, Major Gifts and Planned Giving
At the Toronto Blue Jays, our mission is to get better every day to win world series championships and celebrate with our fans across Canada. Whether you are part of our team on or off the field, we have an unwavering commitment to elevate every aspect of our roles, consistently innovating and delivering excellence each day.
We offer a unique and exciting experience that extends beyond the ballpark, whether you are passionate about baseball or simply interested in becoming a part of a multifaceted, diverse sports organization, we welcome you.
If you are motivated to help bring World Series Championships back to Canada and to celebrate with our fans, there's a spot waiting for you here with the Toronto Blue Jays!
Jays Care Philanthropy Team
Senior Manager, Major Gifts and Planned Giving
Reports to: Director, Philanthropy
Direct Report: Manager, Philanthropy
Salary: $75,000 to $85,000
With a keen understanding of the value that sport and recreational programming has in the development of children and youth, the successful candidate in this newly created role will possess a deep commitment to building long-term, donor centric relationships with sensitivity and professionalism.
As a senior member of the Philanthropy team, reporting to the Director, Philanthropy, the Senior Manager, Major Gifts and Planned Giving will focus on identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding individuals donors to make transformative donations through annual donations, multi-year pledge commitments, estate planning and other financial vehicles. The Senior Manager will also support the strategy for the annual, monthly, mid-level and donor circle programs.
The Senior Manager will be part of a high performing philanthropy team that works collaboratively with Foundation colleagues and Toronto Blue Jays departments to inspire meaningful donor relationships.
Major Gifts: (40%)
- Develop and lead a portfolio of Major Gift donors ($25,000 to $750,000+) through all stages of the donor cycle
- Prepare related briefing notes and call reports, individualized solicitation proposals, presentations and other correspondence, in collaboration with Donor Relations and Programs
- Ensure Major Gift pledges, renewals and other gift transactions are processed effectively and efficiently
Planned Giving: (40%)
- As the subject matter expert, the Senior Manager is responsible for developing the annual strategy for Planned Giving at Jays Care Foundation, and then implementing the tactics and evaluating them annually in conjunction with the Director, Philanthropy and Director, Finance
- Compassionately helps donors and prospects to support Jays Care Foundation with strategic and high impact gift plans that celebrate their legacy
- In collaboration with Finance and Donor Relations, track expected Planned Gifts, and steward family members and executors
- Develop lead generation opportunities to develop a portfolio of individual Planned Giving prospects and cultivate and solicit them
- Steward a portfolio of confirmed Planned Giving Donors
- Actively identify opportunities to promote Planned Giving across available channels
- Lead the development of marketing tools to educate and inspire prospective donors about Planned Giving vehicles in support of Jays Care
- In partnership with Donor Relations, enhance the engagement and stewardship program for Planned Giving donors such as the development and execution of a Legacy Circle strategy
People Management, Leadership and Collaboration (10%)
- In collaboration with the Director, Philanthropy, developing and monitoring key performance indicators, ensuring reports are in place to measure team’s impact, enhancing the process for how prospects are moved and finding efficiencies for the team
- In collaboration with the Philanthropy team, develop and implement Standard Operating Procedures and strategies
- Provide coaching and support to the Manager, Philanthropy with regular meetings, semi-annual performance evaluation/ feedback including assessing workload, prioritizing activity, ensuring resources are allocated against opportunities where they can have maximum benefit to the organization and meeting aggressive revenue goals
- Mentors Philanthropy team members on planned giving tactics and strategies to promote blended giving and the culture of philanthropy
- Assist in the attraction and coordination of volunteers for fundraising events and program needs
- Provide support to other members of the Philanthropy team and the Programs team as required and requested
- In collaboration across the Philanthropy team, develop and evaluate communication tools for donor engagement
Planning and Administration (10%)
- Support the Director in annual and multi-year budget and strategic planning process
- Support the development and execution of organizational priority campaigns and initiatives
- Maintain Salesforce database for pipeline management, proposals, gift tracking, agreements and future actions
- In collaboration with Finance, prepare invoices, track payments and payment follow up
- Use Sharepoint effectively and ensure all team members are optimizing use
- Attend professional development sessions and seek external relationships to help create a best-in-class and innovative partnerships department
- Professionally represent the Toronto Blue Jays and Jays Care Foundation brands while delivering a great experience to our partners
- Foster relationships with a diverse community of donors
- Operate within the culture and core values of the organization
- Work as a team player promoting a positive and professional work environment and conducting the role with integrity and respect
- Cultivate strong professional relationships with programs, finance and marketing & communications and Toronto Blue Jays
- Seven (7+) plus years of relevant work experience in fundraising in the not-for-profit sector with experience in Major Gifts and Planned Giving fundraising and a proven track record of closing gifts at the $100k+ level
- Strong, demonstrated experience in independently developing and managing a major gift ($100,000+) prospect pipeline
- Deep experience in Planned Giving instruments, ideally an active member of Canadian Association of Gift Planners, with in-depth understanding of best-in-class techniques and strategies with a keen interest in staying current with gift vehicles and industry trends
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of tax laws, regulations and compliance issues that govern charitable giving in Canada and globally
- Strong experience in strategy development, implementation and evaluation, and budget management
- Ability to read/understand financial statements, do calculations, etc.
- A basic understanding of the financial/economic environment.
- Comfort and ease in interpreting legal concepts/language.
- Ability to translate complex concepts and structures into simple, plain English language both in writing and speech
- Strong emotional intelligence, including the ability to read people and situations astutely and respond accordingly, as well as high levels of self-awareness and compassion
- Exceptional relationship building skills with donors and cross functionally
- Strong experience working with cross functional team, multiple stakeholders and a cross section of people from executive corporate leaders to custodians
- Experience managing a direct report, working with board members and Revenue Development Committee and working collaboratively with cross functional team members to achieve success
- Entrepreneurially minded with creative thinking skills, solution oriented
- Exceptional verbal and written English communications skills, with strong presentation skills
- Demonstrated experience working in a fast-paced environment, managing several initiatives simultaneously
- Proficient in fundraising platforms such as Artez, Classy
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Canva
- Substantial experience with Salesforce, Raiser’s Edge or similar database management system
If you require accessibility accommodation, please indicate in your application. Application is only open to those legally eligible to work in Canada.
Candidates who successfully progress to the subsequent interview phase will receive communication no later than January 8th.
At Rogers, we believe the key to a strong business, is a diverse workforce where equity and inclusion are core to making everyone feel like they belong. We do this by embracing our diversity, celebrating our different perspectives, and working towards creating environments that empower our people to bring their whole selves to work. Everyone who applies for a job will be considered. We recognize the business value in creating a workplace where each team member has the tools to reach their full potential by removing any barriers for equal participation. We work with our candidates who are experiencing a disability throughout the recruitment process to ensure that they have what they need to be at their best. Please reach out to our recruiters and hiring managers to begin a conversation about how we can ensure that you deliver your best work. You matter to us! For any questions, please visit the Recruitment Process FAQ.
Successful candidates will be required to complete a background check as part of the hiring process.
Schedule: Full time
Length of Contract: Not Applicable (Regular Position)
Work Location: 1 Blue Jays Way (210), Toronto, ON
Travel Requirements: Up to 10%
Posting Category/Function: Project Management & Coordination
Requisition ID: 301099
Posting Notes: Rogers Sports & Media