Control Systems Engineering Lead
Automation Engineering Lead
Redlen Technologies’ genesis lies in the foundational work of its Co-Founder Bob Redden who undertook a Canadian Space Agency (CSA) challenge of growing crystalline materials in microgravity on the Mir and the International Space Station (ISS).
Starting from an original team of five to over 200 employees today, Redlen has continued to innovate and improve the semiconductor crystal growth and fabrication process for its world-leading Cadmium Zinc Telluride (CZT) sensors, used in Medical Imaging, Security Imaging and Non-Destructive Testing. Redlen’s technology is enabling a quantum leap forward in medical CT scanners - equivalent in scope and scale to the leap from black and white TVs to high definition 4K LED displays – improving image resolution and diagnostic accuracy, all the while substantially reducing radiation dose.
The team has grown from 50 to 200 employees in the recent past as it has secured design wins with major Fortune 500 industry customers in the medical and security industries. It plans to grow to 400 people and double its Victoria footprint in the next few years. Redlen’s impressive technical leadership and innovation led global medical equipment leader Canon Inc. to acquire Redlen for $430M in 2021 - a huge win for the B.C. tech industry.
Redlen has received numerous awards and accolades and prides itself on being a great place to work for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) roles, and for being an equal opportunity employer.
Reporting to the Maintenance Manager, the Automation Engineering Lead will identify opportunities to implement automation in Redlen’s operations to improve productivity, quality, and yield of products. They will be an automation subject matter expert who will act as a coach and mentor to the maintenance team.
This position involves design of new automated systems, system maintenance, and project management. The candidate is expected to maintain a library of all automation software ensuring up to date backups of all equipment to reduce production down-time. The Automation Engineering Lead will collaborate with all departments to define project scope, write project proposals, and lead installation and commissioning activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Project management, automation:
- Assist in all automation project planning / implementation activities to successfully complete projects on time and on budget.
- Supervise contractors installing new systems and upgrading existing systems, ensuring all H&S policies are adhered to.
- Participate and lead projects as related to process improvements, building improvements, new installs, and quality investigations.
- Program/ Upgrade/ Modify existing automation systems to improve on equipment reliability and productivity.
- For newly installed equipment and/or upgraded equipment:
- Create new and/or modify existing work instructions and SOPs.
- Provide all necessary information to maintenance team so they can set up PMs / Calibration / conformance checks in Data Base as required.
- Provide info on all spare part requirements for automation systems.
- Support maintenance by troubleshooting automation equipment to resolve ongoing issues.
- Participate/ Support/ Lead process trouble shooting as required.
- Identify opportunities to improve process controls, automation applications, that will increase productivity, improve product quality, and reduce downtime.
- Act as a mentor to the maintenance team members and provide technical guidance and support on automated systems.
Attend and participate in all relevant meetings as required.
- Daily Management Board (DMB) meetings.
- Weekly PM review meeting
- Weekend planning meeting
- Project meetings (as needed)
- Attend breakdowns as needed to support maintenance team. (i.e., use PLC and other software tools to assist in fault finding)
- Ensure all key personnel receive appropriate training on the automation equipment.
- Any other duties assigned to ensure the efficient performance of the maintenance department.
- A minimum of five years automation experience (preferrable in a manufacturing environment)
- High level of computer skills and experience working with MS Office programs.
- A definite asset:
- Previous related experience in a leadership role
- Project Management
- Exposure working with various PLC / HMI / SCADA / Historian software.
- Ability to troubleshoot electrical / mechanical / pneumatic systems to find and correct errors and failures.
- Excellent written and oral communication.
- Strong Leadership skills with the ability to work under pressure and organize resources to achieve successful results.
- Advanced interpersonal skills
- Interested in mentoring and guiding maintenance team leaders and members by providing technical support and guidance.
- Demonstrated ability to be innovative.
- Ability to work with no supervision.
- Demonstrate positive attitude and self-motivation.
Technical degree or diploma in mechanical, electrical, instrumentation, industrial engineering, or equivalent experience & Red Seal trade certification
- Pay Type Salary