Mechanical Process Engineer - R&D
Redlen Technologies’ genesis lies in the foundational work of its Co-Founder Bob Redden who undertook a Canadian Space Agency (CSA) challenge of growing crystalline materials in microgravity on the Mir and the International Space Station (ISS).
Starting from an original team of five to over 200 employees today, Redlen has continued to innovate and improve the semiconductor crystal growth and fabrication process for its world-leading Cadmium Zinc Telluride (CZT) sensors, used in Medical Imaging, Security Imaging and Non-Destructive Testing. Redlen’s technology is enabling a quantum leap forward in medical CT scanners - equivalent in scope and scale to the leap from black and white TVs to high definition 4K LED displays – improving image resolution and diagnostic accuracy, all the while substantially reducing radiation dose.
The team has grown from 50 to 200 employees in the recent past as it has secured design wins with major Fortune 500 industry customers in the medical and security industries. It plans to grow to 400 people and double its Victoria footprint in the next few years. Redlen’s impressive technical leadership and innovation led global medical equipment leader Canon Inc. to acquire Redlen for $430M in 2021 - a huge win for the B.C. tech industry.
Redlen has received numerous awards and accolades and prides itself on being a great place to work for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) roles, and for being an equal opportunity employer.
The Process Development Engineer, R&D position is an intermediate level role best suited for someone driven to use a scientific approach to determine the root cause of problems and find practical solutions. The role itself will require hands-on skill with semiconductor manufacturing tools, combined with advanced data analyses capabilities.
Reporting to Manager, R&D Process Development, the successful applicant will assume a key role in the development, fabrication and characterization of the company’s semiconductor radiation detector products. Responsibilities will include a set of the activities listed below as fits the team’s needs and candidate’s background:
- Core Focus: Lap and Polish, Dicing, Flip Chip Bonding (both conductive epoxy and solder)
- Developing and optimizing semiconductor fabrication processes such as dicing, lapping, polishing, deposition, photolithography and etching
- Designing and executing Design of Experiments (DOE), conducting statistical analysis of data for process optimization and generating clear, concise reports and presentations
- Organizing process runs and fabricating sensors to execute experiments, gain process statistics and to fulfill prototype deliverables
- Documenting Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for various device fabrication processes and material/device characterization instruments
- Developing process automation solutions to improve process quality and reduce process cost
- Performing failure analysis and troubleshooting of non-conforming manufactured product to determine root cause as required
- Providing support for training and certification of Technicians
- Conducting performance testing of materials and devices and providing feedback to crystal growth and product manufacturing
- Driving the tech transfer function between R&D and Manufacturing
- Demonstrable Hands-on experience with processes noted in the Core Focus above
- Mechanical process/product development and engineering experience
- 2+ years of experience working in a manufacturing environment
- Experimental Design experience using ANOVA and/or DOE
- An understanding of Semiconductor Physics or relevant Material Properties
- A very hands-on and innovative individual that works well in a team environment
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and be able to work with limited supervision
- Demonstrated positive attitude and self-motivation
Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD degree in mechanical engineering, nanotechnology, material science, electrical engineering, physics, applied physics, chemical engineering, chemistry, or other scientific field with relevant industry experience.
- Pay Type Salary