Biomedical Engineering Technologist
Providence Health Care
Within the context of a patient, client and family centred model of care and, in accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Providence Health Care, promotes a safe, respectful, and civil working environment for patients, residents, families, visitors and staff.
Reporting to the Supervisor, the Biomedical Engineering Technologist is part of an integrated team, which provides a full range of biomedical engineering services in support of the safe, efficient and effective utilization of medical technology across Fraser Health, Providence Health Care, Provincial Health Services Authority and Vancouver Coastal Health (collectively, the “Organizations”). Duties include troubleshooting, repairing, calibrating, testing, inspecting, and maintaining a wide variety of biomedical and electronic equipment, devices and ancillary products used for patient diagnosis and treatment; participating in incident investigations and hazard follow-up involving medical technology; and providing input related to device modification and capital and non-capital purchasing including the development of specifications and review of tenders as requested. Also, provides orientation and/or technical support to clinical staff on matters related to medical technology such as appropriate equipment practices and operation of equipment, devices and ancillary products in the clinical environment.
Qualifications / Skills and Education
Education, Training, and Experience
Graduation of a recognized program in Biomedical Engineering Technology or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Valid BC Drivers License and access to a vehicle to travel with tools and equipment for work purposes.
Skills and Abilities
• Overall comprehension and knowledge of the operating and maintenance practices and procedures for medical devices.
• Demonstrated ability to organize and document work in accordance to standard operating procedures.
• Current computer troubleshooting and networking knowledge, as well as understanding in the areas of cybersecurity and interfaces with electronic medical records.
• Demonstrated ability to operate electronic test equipment, hand tools, power tools, and other related equipment.
• Demonstrated ability to perform factory-level repairs and performance verification of medical equipment.
• Demonstrated ability to address issues with critical thinking, analytical reasoning and problem solving skills.
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate respectfully with vendors, colleagues, hospital staff and equipment users at all times, particularly in stressful situations.
• Demonstrated ability to use sound judgment to make decisions in high-stress environments, such as operating rooms and patient care areas.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently, with minimal direct supervision.
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate professionally in a team environment.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbal and in writing.
• Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position, including walking/standing for long periods, lifting equipment (up to 25 kg), working with delicate instrumentation requiring manual dexterity and normal vision, with or without correction.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Performs demand maintenance on a wide variety of biomedical and electronic equipment, devices and ancillary products such as patient monitors, defibrillators, ventilators, incubators, centrifuges, hemodialysis machines, anaesthetic machines, electrosurgical units, heart-lung perfusion equipment, and medical imaging equipment such as dental x-ray and ultrasound systems by testing, calibrating, troubleshooting, repairing and upgrading performance. Ensures equipment, devices and ancillary products are operating safely, effectively and efficiently in the most cost effective manner in compliance with the manufacturer’s specifications.
2. Carries out planned maintenance routines, inspections and evaluations using a variety of test equipment and tools such as safety analyzers, conductivity meters, oscilloscopes, multimeters and defibrillator testers to ensure medical equipment is in proper working order. Maintains and calibrates test equipment.
3. Documents activities and maintains complete and accurate records by methods such as preparing service files on existing and/or new equipment, maintaining detailed records on equipment service histories, recording all demand and planned maintenance on equipment, and tracking warranty programs. Informs clinical staff on the status of their medical equipment inventory, and prepares schedules with regard to planned maintenance and operating procedures for equipment.
4. Provides orientation and/or technical support to clinical staff, other hospital staff and patients on matters related to medical technology by methods such as identifying user and patient needs, reviewing and evaluating technical material, compiling information such as appropriate equipment practices, and writing technical procedures for the operation of equipment, devices and ancillary products in the clinical environment. Also, prepares appropriate training materials, demonstrates procedures on the use of the equipment to ensure optimal performance and safety, and provides related information/advice as required.
5. Participates in the implementation and maintenance of medical device networks and interfaces between medical devices and electronic medical record systems, including software configuration, troubleshooting technical issues, and ensuring compliance with relevant regulations and standards. Collaborates with clinical and IMITS staff to develop and implement protocols for data management and sharing, ensuring patient data privacy and confidentiality.
6. Participates in the selection, evaluation, and installation of medical equipment by interpreting clinical needs, developing technical specifications, identifying vendors, reviewing vendor submissions, evaluating equipment for technical acceptance and safety prior to selection, and making recommendations for purchase. Works in conjunction with the vendor, the clinical area and other departments to plan and implement the installation of equipment.
7. Performs incoming safety and performance inspections to ensure conformance with manufacturer’s specifications and other safety standards and regulations. Determines tool, instrumentation and spare part requirements for equipment maintenance and assists clinical areas in ordering accessories and supplies by identifying suitable sources, evaluating products for clinical and cost effectiveness and completing purchase requisitions as required.
8. Participates in a variety of risk management and quality improvement activities to enhance and ensure the safety of patients and staff by methods such as responding to incidents involving medical technology, inspecting the equipment involved, collecting information and documenting all aspects of the investigation. Provides input into the development and implementation of recommendations to prevent the recurrence of such incidents. Identifies hazards and submits hazard reports as required when deficiencies are observed.
9. Researches and provides input into the modification, redesign and/or development of biomedical devices and technology in order to improve the quality of patient care or to reduce costs.
10. Provides consultation at point of care to clinical areas such as operating rooms and the intensive care bedside while biomedical devices are in use by performing duties such as setting up and operating various biomedical devices such as lasers, hyperbaric chambers and emerging technologies.
11. Participates in orientation and training of new staff and students by demonstrating technical procedures, usage of equipment, and interpretation of inspection tests, monitoring progress, and ensuring policies and procedures are respected; provides input to the Supervisor or designated personnel as requested on individual's progress in achieving established standards of practice.
12. Maintains an understanding of clinical procedures and practices involving medical devices and related technology such as sterile techniques, networking and cybersecurity to ensure the ability to interpret customer needs. Stays up to date on emerging trends and technologies in biomedical engineering by participating in professional development activities, reviewing journals and literature, and attending training courses and seminars. Interacts with vendors, manufacturers and regulatory agencies on technology related issues.
13. Performs other related duties as assigned.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Providence Health Care must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.