Relational Security Officer - Security Patriation for Paladin Employees *Casual Only*
Providence Health Care
Please note: This job posting is intended for existing Paladin Employees that have been contacted and are working at Mount Saint Joseph Hospital and St. Paul's Hospital sites as casual employees.
We acknowledge that Providence Health Care & the new St. Paul’s Hospital site is located on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
Welcome to Providence!
We are thrilled to extend a warm welcome to you as you embark on a new journey with Providence Health Care. Your dedication to ensuring the safety and security of our healthcare facilities is not only valued but also vital to our mission of providing the highest standard of care to our patients. Your role as a relational security officer in our healthcare organization is not just about safeguarding our premises; it's about creating a secure and reassuring environment for our patients, their families, and our dedicated staff.
What is the Relational Security Offer (RSO) team?
The purpose of the RSO team is to reduce workplace violence and physical and psychological injury among health-care staff, improve cultural safety, and to integrate relational security functions within health care teams.
This purpose is in direct alignment, and responds to priorities for change uncovered from the Pilot of Patient Journey Mapping Report: Indigenous Experiences of Receiving Care at St. Paul’s Hospital (2021-2022). Within the report, many patients described experiencing anti-Indigenous racism, bullying, use of excessive or unnecessary force and lack of compassion. The new RSO team will be trained using an approach that is relational and prioritizes Indigenous cultural safety interventions with the aim to create a safe and compassionate environment for all patients and staff.
Qualifications / Skills and Education
- Current BC Security Guard License
- OFA Level II Certification
- Certification of Training Completion in Advanced Security Training (AST).
- One year's recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
Duties and Responsibilities
Job Duties Include:
- Patrols buildings and grounds, including utilizing computerized surveillance equipment and video monitoring systems. Enforces regulations and security procedures. Identifies risks, safety and security hazards and takes appropriate action. Checks doors, windows and entrances, securing same to prevent unauthorized entrance by others.
- Responds to emergencies such as the Providence Health Care Disaster Plan, fire, and physically aggressive patients; assesses the situation, consults with medical staff and others, and takes appropriate action as required.
- Investigates, resolves and reports disturbances utilizing non-violent interventions. Documents and reports incidents in accordance with established Protection Services procedures.
- Provides security for Providence Health Care patients, as requested by the patient care team, to maintain a safe and orderly workplace. Provides security escort for staff and patients as required. Responds to requests for assistance from staff, patients and the public.
- Participates in photo identification and security system programs through methods such as taking staff photos, card access information and entering database information.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Providence Health Care must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.