Manager Records Management and Registration - Loins Gate Hospital
Providence Health Care
The Health Information Management Administration team is hiring!
Learn more about the Health Information Management team, check us out here.
We acknowledge that Providence Health Care & the new St. Paul’s Hospital site is located on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
At Providence Health Care, it’s not a job – it’s a passion. Our organization is deeply rooted in social justice and is committed to treating those we serve and each other with compassion and respect. We attract the best people and support them to flourish! Join our team today!
What does the Health Information Management team do?
Health Information Management (HIM) is a leader in the collection, storage, and distribution of patient information within British Columbia. Our dedicated team of professionals are some of the first points of contact at Health Organizations sites. As a consolidated Lower Mainland department of Providence Health Care, HIM has staff at about 40 geographically dispersed locations across Fraser Health, Providence Health Care, Provincial Health Services Authority and Vancouver Coastal Health.
Approximately 1,450 staff working the following Service Areas: Registration, Records Management, Transcription Services, Health Information Exchange, and Coding. Additional Corporate Services include: Strategic Planning, Projects & Business Optimization, Culture & Communications. There is room for growth and development and we aim to support our teams to flourish.
What you will do:
HIM is looking for a Manager of Records Management and Registration at Lions Gate Hospital. Reporting to the Regional Manager, the Manager will provide support and guidance to a team. The successful Manager will build trust and develop their team in accordance with the established vision and mission of the organization. They will ensure staffing levels are maintained, review processes and procedures to improve the workflows in the department in order for the site to provide quality patient care.
The successful applicant will be supported by the team but work autonomously to:
- Oversee the day-to-day operations
- Review and determine resource planning.
- Participate in the development of HIM objectives.
- Enhance service delivery, leads quality assurance activities, monitors operating budget and provides input into operating and capital budget for the assigned site.
What we offer:
- The salary range for this role is $ 71,207 - $ 102,357 per year, depending on experience.
- A comprehensive health benefit package, including dental, vision, and life coverage.
- An orientation session and comprehensive onboarding to all new hires.
- A chance to grow professionally and personally, as part of a supportive team driven by innovation and the desire to address the future health needs of patients, families and our communities.
- This position will be required to be on site at Loins Gate Hospital.
Qualifications / Skills and Education
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Health Information Management or other related field
- Five (5) years’ recent, related experience in health information management environment, including three (3) years’ supervisory experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of health records management systems, policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated leadership, coaching, and mentoring skills.
- Strong interpersonal and conflict-resolution skills.
- Demonstrated problem-solving and decision-making abilities.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of Release of Information polices and requirements.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to develop quality improvement programs.
- Organize and prioritize own work and that of others.
- Intermediate to advanced skills using a variety of computerized software packages such as Microsoft Office Suite (e.g., Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook), related databases and Internet.
Preference will be given to those with the following experience, but not required:
- Healthcare experience
Duties and Responsibilities
Coordinates the day-to-day operations of the assigned HIM site(s) by providing key management support to ensure the overall effective utilization of respective staff, services and equipment. Investigates and resolves operational issues involving service level concerns or staff performance issues. Prioritizes workload and delegates and adjusts staff work assignments. Establishes related service targets, and monitors progress and staff productivity.
Selects, supervises, evaluates, disciplines staff up to and including termination. Participates in the handling and resolution of grievances and represents the employer in third party proceedings as required.
Develops site-specific orientation plans and provides orientation to assigned staff. Develops and implements appropriate staff development and retention plans. Supports organizational requirements for scheduling and supervising health information student practica.
Leads the development, implementation and review of site-specific policies and procedures and ensures compliance with all site and HIM-wide policies and procedures regarding HIM services for their area (e.g., health records management and record processing, registration, release of information and/or other services as applicable). Collaborates with other HIM staff to ensure standardization and consistency.
Monitors the assigned site(s) operating budget in collaboration with the Regional Manager; monitors and tracks workload statistics, prepares relevant reports for Regional Manager, and ensures resources are deployed effectively. Provides input into the capital equipment planning process.
Oversees release of information and records completion processes including reporting on legal and risk management cases according to policies and procedures and initiating billing processes as required. Follows up with physicians and/or other staff/departments on unresolved issues.
Develops and maintains a master staff rotation; liaises with centralized scheduling service; approves vacation, overtime and leaves of absence in accordance with departmental policies and procedures.
Collaborates with IMIT staff and other HIM staff on the implementation and maintenance of computer software and systems in assigned areas.
Ensures workplace safety for staff and students; reviews and implements policy and procedures relating to staff and patient safety.
Develops essential service plans for health information management staff at assigned site(s). Participates in the development and implementation of quality indicators at assigned site(s) and participates in other HIM quality improvement activities as required.
Recommends, plans and organizes the efficient use of space and equipment in respective work areas.Participates on organizational and external committees and represents the Regional Manager at meetings as requested.
Maintains knowledge of current develops in records management and registration services by reviewing relevant literature, consulting with industry peers/colleagues, and attending relevant educational sessions.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Providence Health Care must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.