Clinic Assistant-Support Worker - Crosstown
Providence Health Care
Qualifications / Skills and Education
- Grade 12, completion of Community Support Worker, Addictions Counselling Skills or Mental Health Worker Certificate plus one (1) years recent, related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Completion of certificates in C.P.R. and First Aid.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently and in cooperation with others.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Ability to organize and prioritize.
- Ability to establish and maintain rapport with clients.
- Ability to observe and recognize changes in clients.
- Knowledge of addiction/drug abuse and harm reduction.
- Ability to handle and diffuse conflict.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs reception duties such as meeting and greeting clients and establishing a rapport with clients, taking and relaying telephone messages, allowing entry/exit from clinic, and escorting clients to and from treatment rooms/offices.
- Observes, monitors and documents any changes in clients' physical and cognitive status post injection in accordance with established policies, procedures, and protocols. Informs clinical staff of status, as required.
- Performs general word processing and data entry functions such as inputting client information into relevant computerized systems, maintaining relevant registers, and typing from rough draft or general instruction including correspondence, reports and documents.
- Participates in the management of emergency situations by performing C.P.R and/or alerting emergency medical services.
- Works with clinic team members to manage the clinic environment by assisting with diffusing hostile clients and performing client searches. Notifies appropriate personnel of escalating situations.
- Accompanies clients to appointments such as doctors, court and hospital appointments using hospital shuttle, taxi and/or public transit.
- Runs errands such as picking up/dropping off laboratory specimens and/or supplies, picking up miscellaneous items as requested and approved by the nurse.
Provides support in the clinic/treatment rooms by performing duties such as setting up and dismantling rooms and general tidying according to cleaning schedules, including cleaning cupboards and shelves.
- Delivers and disposes of supplies, biological materials and equipment by performing duties such as packaging, making arrangements for pickup and delivery and transporting in accordance with established procedures.
- Schedule and confirms client appointments by receiving appointment request or referral, entering client information into applicable computer system(s) and/or appointment scheduling system(s), booking a time slot, making follow up appointments and cancelling or adjusting appointments.
- Maintains inventories of clinic supplies and equipment by performing duties such as monitoring inventory levels, identifying requirements, processing requisitions, and receiving, verifying, documenting, distributing, and storing shipments.
- Provides general information and literature (e.g., pamphlets) to clients in relation to harm reduction supports available (e.g., needle exchange, sexual health screening) and provides information regarding available clinic services.
- Orders health promotion materials and ensures that health promotion materials are stocked and replenished.
- Maintains filing systems including filing, labelling, and ensuring appropriate documentation is maintained on file.
- Assists with security functions for site, checks that doors are locked and alarms activated, escorts unwelcome visitors out of the building, reports incidents to appropriate staff or authorities, and provides access to surveillance videos to authorities.
- Assists with client intake by interviewing clients, obtaining information, completing required documentation and entering information into applicable database system.
- Partners as a member of team by attending quality improvement meetings, supports the completion of quality improvement initiatives by taking minutes and gathering and compiling basic data.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Providence Health Care must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.