Grants and Contracts Coordinator
Providence Health Care
Within the context of a patient, client and family centered model of care and, in accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Providence Research, promotes a safe, respectful, and civil working environment for patients, residents, families, visitors and staff.
Reporting to the Clinical Contracts Manager, this Grants and Contracts Coordinator supports Providence Research. The position coordinates operations of the government funded grants portfolio for compliance with regulations and policies of the University of British Columbia (UBC). Develops and implements grant administration policies in collaboration with the Clinical Contracts Manager. Ensures deliverables of institutional grants are implemented within allocated timeframe and budget, receiving, reviewing and assessing information and documents for accuracy and completeness and creating files for new research agreements. Reviews contract agreement documentation prior to the Clinical Contracts Manager’s review. Completes and verifies a variety of contractual documents and maintains documents utilizing the Researcher Information Database System (RISe). Performs administrative and technical duties in support of Providence Research. Compiles statistical records, summarizes information and generates reports utilizing word processing and presentation graphics software packages. Maintains and updates the Research Services’ web site with an emphasis on enhancement and design. Arranges and attends meetings of research to provide administrative and clerical support. Provides training and education to researchers and coordinators on the RISe database system.
Providence Research is the research engine of Providence Health Care, one of Canada’s largest faith-based health care organizations. Our main research location is St. Paul’s Hospital, a teaching hospital affiliated with the University of British Columbia (UBC) and Simon Fraser University (SFU); however, our research spans more than 30 programs and disciplines across Providence Health Care’s 17 sites in Greater Vancouver. Inspired by the need for health and wellness of patients and communities, our mission is to integrate teaching, knowledge creation and translation to discover and deliver disease prevention and dramatically improve care.
Qualifications / Skills and Education
Education, Training and Experience
Two-year diploma in a relevant technical, administrative or health sciences discipline, plus three years’ recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
•Demonstrated knowledge of clinical research administration in an academic environment.
•Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
•Ability to handle confidential information.
•Ability to think critically and analyze significant amounts of information for contrast and comparison with specified requirements.
•Demonstrated attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy when working under pressure and time constraints.
•Effective interpersonal and organizational skills.
•Ability to work in a team environment, and with minimal supervision.
•Ability to plan, organize, problem-solve and prioritize work.
•Ability to simultaneously manage a diverse range of projects and activities.
•Intermediate to advanced skills using a variety of computerized software packages such as Microsoft Office, Microsoft Access, Viso, Pagemaker, Outlook / MS Exchange & Schedule +, Internet and other Windows software packages such as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
•Sufficient computer literacy to become quickly conversant with the function of the Research Information System – Human Ethics (RISe) and flexibility to adapt to the requirements of this online system.
•Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Receives and reviews grants for compliance with regulations and policies of the UBC and ensures that they are processed within the allocated timeframe. Obtains institutional signatures and tracks grant applications. Provides grant administration services for researchers including collecting, coordinating and updating grant applications, budgets, statistics and curriculum vitas. Prepares and analyzes research activity reports, written reports and documents. Identifies and disseminates relevant granting agency information and resolves issues and discrepancies on research awards.
2. Receives information and documents to create files for Clinical Trial Agreements and other research Agreements with industry sponsors and investigators. Enters requisite information into the computerized RISe and contacts sponsors as required to obtain information needed for Agreements and budgets. Reviews and assesses document submissions for completeness and conformity with guidelines.
3. Tracks contract negotiations and follows up with sponsors, investigators and others as required. Maintains up-to-date listing of the status of contracts currently under negotiation. Coordinates Clinical Trial Agreement correspondence by preparing letters, memos, and faxes, and arranging courier service and performing other administrative functions as needed.
4. Enters all required information on Ethical Reviews, Grants, Clinical Trial Agreements, other research agreements and financial information into the UBC database RISe. Enters requisite information in the RISe on ethics fees and contract status.
5. Ensures confidential documents are securely stored as per established procedures.
6. Receives research Agreements from UBC, reviews for completeness and forwards to applicable authorized signatory and processes requests.
7. Attends meeting with the UBC RISe team on development of the grant applications and provides training and education to researchers and coordinators on how to use the database system.
8. Compiles statistical records on departmental activity by utilizing advanced computer spreadsheets and database applications. Prepares background information by researching, gathering and checking data, and developing appropriate links and formulae for spreadsheet and database. Summarizes information and generates reports using word processing and presentation graphics software applications.
9. Responds to requests for information regarding departmental policies and procedures from investigators and research coordinators, such as research application procedures, submission deadliness, etc. by telephone, emailing documents or directing them to the Providence website as applicable.
10. Prepares fiscal year-end summary of financial information for Annual Report on research.
11. Ensures that minutes are recorded accurately, approved promptly by members, and results of meetings are communicated in a timely manner to researchers and others.
12. Develops and implements grant administration policies in close collaboration with the Clinical Contracts Manager. Follows up with the VP, Research Services to ensure service standards are met consistently.
13. Prepares and revises a variety of Research Services department forms as directed by the Administrative Coordinator and/or the Clinical Contracts Manager.
14. Arranges internal and external meetings as required by booking rooms, notifying participants, confirming attendance, ordering catering, preparing agenda and preparing handouts and overheads.
15. Performs other related duties as assigned.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Providence Health Care must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.