Occupational Therapist (Hospital at Home & Acute In-Patient Hybrid)
Providence Health Care
Reporting to the Professional Practice Leader, Occupational Therapy (OT), and taking clinical direction from the Occupational Therapy Site Leader and/or Research, Education and Practice Coordinator, the position supports the interdisciplinary program/team in achieving program, patient and resident goals. Provides Occupational Therapy services to designated patients/residents within the Mission, Vision, Values and strategic direction of Providence Health Care.
Qualifications / Skills and Education
Education, Training and Experience
Baccalaureate degree in Occupational Therapy and up to one year of experience in the designated area or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Registered with the College of Occupational Therapists of British Columbia.
Eligible for membership with the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists.
Skills and Abilities
• Demonstrated ability to communicate with and deal effectively with, patients/residents, families, staff, physicians, and other health care providers.
• Knowledge of legislation and government policies and procedures related to healthcare.
• Demonstrated ability to gather relevant data and make a multi-dimensional assessment.
• Demonstrated ability to conduct patient/resident assessments.
• Knowledge of other health care disciplines and their role in patient/resident care.
• Demonstrated ability to draw out information that will contribute to understanding the patient/resident’s situation in order to explore issues beyond the initial concerns.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
• Demonstrated ability to deal with and/or guide others in conflict resolution issues.
• Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
• Ability to work independently and prioritize issues and workload.
• Ability to operate related equipment.
• Ability to participate in research.
• Demonstrated ability to provide supervision and teaching to students.
• Demonstrated ability to develop and provide in-services and presentations.
Duties and Responsibilities
3.1 Performs occupational therapy assessments, program planning, interventions, discharge planning and follow-up using OT techniques and practices.
3.2 Contributes to an inter-disciplinary approach to patient/resident care and program related issues by attending ward rounds and team conferences to exchange information in patient/resident issues related to patient/resident care and discharge planning.
3.3 Participates in the quality improvement activities of the Occupational Therapy Department by providing input into the development, implementation, and evaluation of written procedures and standards, assessment forms, and patient/resident materials, program descriptions, audit tools and clinical guidelines.
3.4 Completes required health record reports and reports workload statistics.
3.5 Collaborates with other team members to organize in-service education, to identify the need for and to participate in educational programs by preparing educational materials and making presentations.
3.6 Provides clinical supervision to and evaluation of students as required.
3.7 Provides clinical direction to Activity Aides, Rehabilitation Assistants and Volunteers.
3.8 Attends and participates in Program councils and task groups to support strong interdisciplinary focus within the Program.
3.9 Attends and participates in professional practice forums.
3.10 Supports clinical research activities by generating questions, assisting in writing proposals, and participating in data collection and interpretation, within departmental resources.
3.11 Provides input to clinical and operating budget needs of the service and department.
3.12 Maintains knowledge of current developments in Occupational Therapy by reviewing professional literature, consulting with other professionals and actively participating in relevant education programs.
3.13 Monitors and controls levels of supplies and equipment and reports equipment malfunctions when necessary. Arranges for equipment maintenance as required.
3.14 Performs other related duties as assigned.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Providence Health Care must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.