Compensation & Classification Analyst
Providence Health Care
The position will be specific to supporting the Span of Control Assessment Project – working with HR Systems & Data Analytics and Operations, meeting with the Management Support Coordinator (Extenders), Patient Care Manager Mentor and Directors to complete the span of control tool that determines the workload of a Patient Care Manager and whether or not the results are within benchmark guidelines.
Reporting to the Executive Director, People, and receiving day to day work direction from the Compensation/Classification Advisors, the Compensation & Classification Analyst provides a variety of classification/compensation services in support and maintenance of internal/external compensation and classification records, systems and reporting requirements, contract administration including annual pay and performance adjustments, and the delivery of services to clients across Providence Health Care (PHC) such as assisting with the preparation and classification of job descriptions, organizational charts, and industry-related research activities.
Qualifications / Skills and Education
A level of education, training and experience equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources plus two (2) to three (3) years' recent related human resources experience including working in a unionized environment, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Previous experience in compensation or benefits is preferred.
Skills and Abilities
- Practical knowledge of collective agreements, applicable employment legislation and regulations.
- Ability to organize work of self, identifying and managing multiple and complex priorities, meet deadlines, and work under pressure with minimum supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills including business writing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to effective use Microsoft Office Suite products such as Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook at an intermediate to advanced level.
- Demonstrated use and understanding of HR information systems and applicant hiring systems. Knowledge of PeopleSoft HCM is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to use online communication tools such as Skype, Zoom, etc.
- Ability to work effectively, independently and in collaboration with others.
- Ability to deal with others effectively, at all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, analyze, and resolve problems.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize a customer service approach to staff and clients.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains and updates Compensation & Classification and Public and Industry Reporting databases such as the CJDD, CRP and LIGER including scanning, uploading, and indexing required documentation and updating/obsoleting of files and data and liaising with applicable agencies on systems changes and updates.
- Functions as a super-user on Compensation & Compensation related systems, identifies and investigates data and system issues, provides systems advice and makes recommendations, develops reports and queries, and works within People Services and other departments to determine the root of the issue and to troubleshoot solutions. Identifies opportunities for service improvement, provides input on changes, drafts processes and guidelines documents, and participates in business process improvement.
- Prepares individual employee contract renewal and reclassification letters for various PHC departments. Liaises with areas such Payroll, Records and Benefits, Recruitment and/or Finance to process, investigate or follow up on queries such as contract terms such as benefit entitlement, vacation accruals, pay adjustments, stipends, retroactive payments, positions numbers, job code updates, etc.
- Assists with the annual processing of pay adjustments for unionized and non-contract staff including sending out appropriate notifications to staff or Managers, working with Sustainment and HR Data Analytics to update HR Connect and PeopleSoft systems, proofing documentation, and reviewing exception reports. Prepares costings of wage increases for review.
- Conducts regular audits of job code table, job inventory, CJDD and other classification and compensation records to ensure accuracy and integrity of data.
- Conducts assigned research on classification and compensation matters such as completion of industry surveys and preparation and distribution of internal surveys. Assists with the completion of costing spreadsheets and reports for grievance liability or pay changes for Finance, HEABC or other stakeholders.
- Updates and maintains Compensation/Classification repositories of job descriptions, information directories, intranet site, and departmental filing systems.
- Prepares job descriptions for specific/designated areas and classifications including conducting job audits if required, preparation of job description including review of qualifications, assignment of classification/evaluation for review by Compensation and Classification Advisor as required. Submits to Union or HEABC as appropriate.
- Assists Compensation and Classification Advisors with responses to Union objections to job descriptions or HEABC queries, by researching appropriate response based on requirements of classification system, clarification of duties and requirements with applicable department/program, and reviewing interpretations and jurisprudence as necessary.
- Provides support and participates in Compensation & Classification projects. Prepares and maintains project tracking documentation, training materials, statistical information and reports.
- Participates in meetings, provides information, and takes action as appropriate.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.