Clerk Registration-Switchboard (Pemberton)
Providence Health Care
The Health Information Management Administration team is hiring!
Learn more about the Health Information Management team, check us out here.
We acknowledge that Providence Health Care & the new St. Paul’s Hospital site is located on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
At Providence Health Care, it’s not a job – it’s a passion. Our organization is deeply rooted in social justice and is committed to treating those we serve and each other with compassion and respect. We attract the best people and support them to flourish! Join our team today!
What does the Health Information Management team do?
Health Information Management (HIM) is a leader in the collection, storage, and distribution of patient information within British Columbia. Our dedicated team of professionals are some of the first points of contact at Health Organizations sites. As a consolidated Lower Mainland department of Providence Health Care, HIM has staff at about 40 geographically dispersed locations across Fraser Health, Providence Health Care, Provincial Health Services Authority and Vancouver Coastal Health.
Approximately 1,450 staff working the following Service Areas: Registration, Records Management, Transcription Services, Health Information Exchange, and Coding. Additional Corporate Services include: Strategic Planning, Projects & Business Optimization, Culture & Communications. There is room for growth and development and we aim to support our teams to flourish.
What you'll do:
Reporting to the Coordinator and/or designate, the Registration-Switchboard clerk performs a variety of registration and switchboard functions such:
- Registering patients for emergency services and diagnostic procedures in the computerized admission/discharge/transfer system.
- Processesing admissions, transfers and discharges.
- Operating the computerized telephone exchange, locates personnel through the use of pagers, answering services and the public address systems, and responds to emergencies.
- Performing reception, records management and other related clerical functions as required.
Qualifications / Skills and Education
Grade 12, plus two years’ recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to keyboard at 45 wpm.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Interviews patients, relatives and/or family to obtain registration information, such as relevant personal and demographic information and responsibility for payment and registers patient in the computerized admission/discharge/transfer system.
2. Accesses HealthNet as required to determine the patient's healthcare number (PHN) or assigns a new PHN if required. Searches other databases as required.
3. Completes and prints registration forms related to the documentation of patients and forwards this information to emergency/treatment areas. Obtains signatures as appropriate. Prepares and applies identity bands to patients.
4. Receives payments for non-resident and self-pay charges and medical/surgical supplies; issues receipts and explains hospital policy regarding deposits. Receives and records patient valuables for safekeeping. Escorts patients or arranges to have patients taken to emergency/treatment areas.
5. Assists with arrangements for patient transfers to other facilities by processing and forwarding required documentation.
6. Follows established quality assurance procedures by reviewing and editing patient data; produces audit reports as requested.
7. Retrieves patient records according to established policies and procedures and photocopies information. Files loose forms and reports in chart.
8. Responds to requests for release of patient information for urgent continuity of care by performing duties such as receiving request, retrieving charts, photocopying and releasing in accordance with established procedures.
9. Provides telephone exchange services by operating a computerized switchboard to receive and transfer calls, utilizing pagers, answering service and the public address system to contact individuals; takes messages for staff and forwards by telephoning directly.
10. Responds to a variety of emergency signals for such situations as cardiac arrest, bomb threats and disasters by operating locating equipment and following established codes and procedures to notify appropriate individuals and departments.
11. Performs clerical duties such as typing non-technical material such as correspondence, reports, and labels, sorting and preparing incoming and outgoing mail, photocopying, filing and operating the facsimile machine.
12. Maintains inventory of supplies by completing order requisitions and submitting to supplier and/or Stores as required.
13. Assists with the transition of new employees and students to the work of the area by demonstrating procedures and answering related questions.
14. Performs other related duties as assigned.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Providence Health Care must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.