Health Records Clerk - Vancouver Coastal, PHSA, PHC sites
Providence Health Care
The Providence Health Care’s Health Information Management Administration team is hiring!
Learn more about the Health Information Management team, check us out here.
We acknowledge that Providence Health Care & the new St. Paul’s Hospital site is located on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
What does the Health Information Management team do?
Health Information Management (HIM) is a leader in the collection, storage, and distribution of patient information within British Columbia. Our dedicated team of professionals are some of the first points of contact at Health Organizations sites. As a consolidated Lower Mainland department of Providence Health Care, HIM has staff at about 40 geographically dispersed locations across Fraser Health, Providence Health Care, Provincial Health Services Authority and Vancouver Coastal Health.
Approximately 1,450 staff working the following Service Areas: Registration, Records Management, Transcription Services, Health Information Exchange, and Coding. Additional Corporate Services include: Strategic Planning, Projects & Business Optimization, Culture & Communications. There is room for growth and development and we aim to support our teams to flourish.
What you'll do:
Reporting to the Manager, Coordinator and/or designate, the health records clerk performs record processing functions related to patient records. They perform Related duties include:
- Clerical duties related to the electronic records scanning process such as picking up charts from the units
- Prepping for scanning, scanning, indexing within the computerized scanning application and verifying accuracy
- Aplying index criteria, scanning records utilizing electronic records scanning software, checkinig for image quality
- Lifting and storing boxes in designated area as required.
- Retrieving patient records
- Calculating statistics
- Performing reception and clerical duties
Qualifications / Skills and Education
Grade 12, plus one year’s recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Ability to keyboard at 40 wpm.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Retrieves patient records according to established policies and procedures, and maintains and updates records utilizing computerized record location systems.
- Performs record processing functions related to patient records by performing duties such as assembly, identifying, verifying and correcting patient information utilizing the computerized Admission, Discharge Transfer and/or Electronic Health Record System, checking for discharges and/or previous admissions, processing patient folders and documents, merging duplicate files, making up folders, photocopying, and printing chart labels, and filing as required.
- Responds to requests by locating patient charts and delivering records. Refers unusual requests to the Manager/Coordinator and/or designate.
- Performs clerical duties, as applicable, related to the electronic records scanning process by performing duties such as picking up charts from unit(s), prepping for scanning, scanning, indexing within the computerized scanning application and verifies accuracy.
- Follows up with departments such as Registration regarding problems with documentation such as questionable encounters, duplicate registrations and merges. Takes the appropriate steps to correct or resolve problems as required. Initiates edits and merges duplicate numbers as required.
- Answers inquiries related to the release of patient information for urgent continuity of care by performing duties such as receiving request and releasing in accordance with established procedures. Refers problems or other inquiries as appropriate to Manager/Coordinator or designate.
- Performs reception duties by methods such as answering telephone, transferring to appropriate personnel, taking messages, directing visitors, and providing routine information.
- Prepares records for offsite storage. Requests records from offsite storage using computerized request systems as appropriate.
- Balances census according to established procedures.
- Maintains inventory of supplies by completing order requisitions and submitting to supplier and/or Stores as required in accordance with established procedures.
- Orients new employees and students to the work of the section by demonstrating procedures and sharing information.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Providence Health Care must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.