Manager, Data Integration
Providence Health Care
Within the context of a client and family centered model of care and, in accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Providence Health Care, the person promotes a safe, respectful, and civil working environment for patients, residents, families, visitors and staff.
Reporting to the Director, Advanced Data and Cloud Technologies, the Data Integration Manager is responsible for planning, designing, coordinating, developing, managing, and supporting new and existing data integrations that interconnect Providence Health Care (PHC) software solutions and other systems. The resulting integrated solutions support clinical, operational, research, and strategic decisions-making at PHC. The role involves maintaining and managing a team of PHC Data Integration Specialists to achieve the organizational goals related to data interchange.
In addition to management duties, the Data Integration Manager provides hands-on software development as needed, and would periodically review the quality software development work of others as it relates to data integrations, utilizing their practical working understanding of the technologies involved.
The Manager coordinates with and advises the PHC Cloud Data Architect, PHC Data Engineers, IMITS technical teams, and others on the best methods to solve data integration challenges. The Data Integration Manager defines and maintains the standards and guidelines that PHC staff will be required to follow related to documenting and testing interfaces.
Additionally, the Manager devises and monitors training of PHC staff in relevant interchange standards and technical approaches. The Data Integration Manager will stay apprised of current trends and research on all aspects of data interchange standards.
Qualifications / Skills and Education
Education, Training and Experience
A level of education, training and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Health Information Science, Management Information Systems or a related field, plus a minimum of seven (7) years’ experience working in one of the following fields: systems integration, data warehousing, data modelling or analytics. Strong understanding of health care system operations and public and population health concepts are an asset.
Skills and Abilities
• Demonstrated ability to manage a technical team.
• Strong analytical, problem solving and system analysis skills including the ability to comprehend complex large scale health care environment operational issues and related data/information and present information in concise meaningful ways.
• Client focused with ability to facilitate and encourage cooperation between professionals from other disciplines.
• Ability to understand management reporting and statistical concepts.
• Demonstrated understanding of various health care industry standards, frameworks, ontologies including FHIR, SMART-on-FHIR, HL7v2, DICOM, SNOMED-CT, ICD-10, and IHE.
• Demonstrated ability to build and optimize data pipelines, architectures and data sets and computing tools such as Spark, MySQL, Azure, AWS, etc.
• Knowledge of methods and techniques involved in networking and automated data interchange.
• Coding proficiency in at least one modern programming language (Python, Java, etc.).
• Understanding of data privacy, security and related tools such as anonymization and encryption.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to clearly and fluently translate technical findings to non-technical partners and to communicate to multiple audiences using data storytelling and through graphics.
• Persistence and displays a positive attitude to the iterative development cycle and sometimes problematic data integration issues involving multiple organizations.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in an interdisciplinary environment and to develop recommendations using facilitation and consensus building.
• Strong analytical, critical thinking, and evaluation skills to work as part of a leadership team to discern and help solve the important problems facing health care, to identify new ways to leverage data, and to direct efforts in the right direction.
• Self-directed and motivated to learn new tools and technology.
• Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Works in collaboration with the PHC Cloud Data Architect to define and implement the data integration architecture to address PHC priorities and objectives, particularly as it relates to the PHC Data Hub.
2. Recruits and leads a team of PHC Data Integration Specialists and related contractors necessary to meet the organization’s needs in data integration development and on-going support.
3. Advises and monitors work of PHSA IMITS staff involved in projects interfacing to PHC systems, to ensure that the interfaces align with PHC needs, conventions, and standards.
4. Advises and guides PHC Data Engineering staff in best methods for (a) gaining access to new external data for incorporation into PHC Data Hub and other related systems, and (b) providing data from the PHC Data Hub to other systems.
5. Develops integration software for in-house projects and provides support and mentorship to the Data Integration team in the development of software.
6. Defines PHC data interface documentation standards and ensures compliance by Data Integrations Specialists and other PHC staff when developing interfaces.
7. Administers PHC staff access to the shared Electronic Health Record (EHR) system’s FHIR interfaces, coordinating with other partner organizations (CST, IMITS, etc.) involved in the shared solution.
8. Oversees the data replication infrastructure for the EHR system, coordinating with other partner organizations (CST, IMITS, etc.) and technology vendors (CERNER, Oracle, etc.) involved in the shared solution.
9. Responsible for the creation of infrastructure to support cutting edge solutions in the field of DDOS protection, advanced security that leverages high speed distributed processing including integration with multiple cloud technologies and frameworks, in keeping with CISO guidelines and policies.
10. Ensures data conduits created by PHC are in compliance with privacy, cybersecurity, and other required data policies/best practices.
11. Develops and maintains a sufficient level of subject matter expertise in each new data asset being connected to the PHC Data Hub to optimize interface design and ensure reliable operations.
12. Participates in commercial software procurement processes, providing expert guidance on desired data integration capabilities and evaluating candidate vendor solutions against the resulting assembled requirements.
13. Identifies opportunities to utilize commercial technologies for data integration projects and propose introduction / expansion of these technologies when appropriate, within the constraints of an assigned budget.
14. Identifies on-going training needs of Data Integration Specialists and other PHC Staff in the field of data integration, related standards, and technology. Develops and maintains educational programs to address these identified needs for each role, within the constraints of an assigned budget.
15. Manages budget allocated to support the activities of the Data Integration Team.
16. Ensures that Data Integration Specialists and other PHC staff are organized in a manner to monitor, analyze, and efficiently resolve any issues in the operation of PHC created data interfaces. In the case of PHC staff not being directly supervised, this will include coordinating with other supervisors as to division of responsibilities and hand-off protocols between teams.
17. Represents PHC at the Provincial Health Information Exchange Working Group and similar regional / provincial bodies related to data interchange.
18. Performs other related duties as required.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Providence Health Care must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.