Privacy Advisor Research
Providence Health Care
Reporting to the Director, Information Access & Privacy, the Privacy Advisor - Research is a subject matter expert and leader in interpreting and applying information access, privacy legislation, standards and principles in a complex hybrid electronic information and technical healthcare environment. The Privacy Advisor - Research is responsible for leading the development, implementation, evaluation of privacy and compliance processes to support health research conducted by PHC and PHC-affiliated researchers in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Working in consultation with the PHCRI Research Ethics Board Office, the Privacy Advisor – Research develops privacy education and awareness programs to promote a privacy conscious culture within the research community. The position also provides support for the completion of privacy impact assessments for research specific environments, research programs and research projects and the development of privacy-related policies.
Qualifications / Skills and Education
A level of education, training and experience equivalent to a Bachelor's degree in Health Information Management, Health Information Science or other related field plus three to five years' recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Experience or familiarity with a research environment is preferred. Completion of an Information Access & Protection of Privacy program or certification as a Certified Information Privacy Professional/Canada (CIPP/C) or other Canadian industry-recognized privacy certification, or evidence of continuing professional development in the area of privacy and information management an asset.
Skills and Abilities
• Comprehensive knowledge (good understanding of) provincial privacy and health-related legislation.
• Demonstrated ability to develop, implement and deliver education and training programs.
• Comprehensive knowledge (good understanding of) audit and privacy concepts, tools and methods.
• Comprehensive knowledge (good understanding of) of privacy principles, including need to know access, data security and other related information privacy and security matters important in a healthcare / research environment.
• Demonstrated knowledge of electronic information systems, databases and applications and information management processes.
• Use of advanced computer skills in a variety of desktop computer applications.
• Demonstrated ability to consult, plan, implement, organize and problem solve.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills to function within a complex interdisciplinary health care and research environment.
• Effective leadership, communication, facilitation and coaching skills to foster a respectful and motivating environment.
• Effective stakeholder engagement and the ability to foster effective working relationships; to interact with tact and diplomacy with staff at all levels within the organization.
• Ability to remain organized and on task while handling multiple priorities.
• Demonstrated ability to exercise initiative and work both independently and in a team environment.
• Safe handling of confidential and sensitive information.
• Ability to adapt to change in a dynamic environment.
• Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provides practical and timely compliance solutions to facilitate the conduct of health research by PHC and PHC-affiliated researchers in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
2. Supports PHC Research Ethics office by reviewing Research Applications for compliance with all applicable privacy laws and policies.
3. Supports privacy reviews, including Privacy Impact Assessments as required for research programs and research environments at PHC to ensure that reasonable privacy and security protections are in place for researchers working with PHC data.
4. Supports Researchers to ensure compliance to privacy legislation in regards to collection, use and disclosure of personal information for purposes including retrospective, prospective and behavioral research and research registries; as well as for quality improvement and evaluation initiatives.
5. Provides support in the review of data sharing agreements and develops information sharing plans as necessary to support research.
6. Leads in the development, delivery and evaluation of privacy education and training programs for research, including: (1) privacy and data responsibility education for PHC data stewards and managers involved in the operational review of research at PHC, and (2) privacy education and training for researchers and research team members who are accessing data of PHC patients/clients/residents/staff and/or accessing facilities in connection with the conduct of a research project.
7. Supports PHC Research Ethics office research compliance program to ensure compliance to privacy requirements. Develops reports and processes for conducting random and routine compliance audits, such as processes for distribution, tracking and follow-up of audit reports and reviews.
8. Supports PHC Information Access and Privacy Office in responding to and investigating privacy breaches.
9. Supports the PHC Research Ethics Board as a subject matter expert to counsel and advise the REB on privacy matters related to research, and participates in REB meetings when required.
10. Maintains expert knowledge of current information legislation, standards, and information management and privacy trends and issues.
11. Assists in the development of research policies, procedures, forms or templates referencing privacy requirements.
12. Builds partnerships with Providence Health Care Research Institute Centres, as well as with colleagues in other organizations and associations ensuring legislative compliance is met and privacy standards and best practices are adhered to.
13. Effectively participates and represents Providence Health Care on local and provincial committees.
14. Performs other related duties in the Information Access and Privacy Office as assigned.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Providence Health Care must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.