Manager, Cloud Data Architect
Providence Health Care
Within the context of a client and family centred model of care and, in accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Providence Health Care (PHC), the person promotes a safe, respectful, and civil working environment for patients, residents, families, visitors and staff.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Advanced Modelling & Optimization, the Manager, Cloud Data Architect leads a team of Cloud Data Engineers responsible for the design, development, implementation, and maintenance of the PHC organization's data infrastructure, including their databases, warehouses, and pipelines, as well as ingesting, transforming, delivering, and sharing data for analysis and providing a robust foundation for data analytics, to support operational and strategic decisions-making at PHC.
This position will design scalable and sustainable cloud solution architecture and data transformation processes within a large analytics pipeline. Responsible for Architecture definition, implementation, transformative innovation and incremental improvement of data analytics solutions and services. This role will build a roadmap to meet the growing needs of partners and stakeholders both for proliferation of datasets and requirement for near-real-time Analytics.
Manages the day-to-day operations of the team who support the cloud data solutions, implement automated methods to improve data reliability and quality, design and integration capabilities.
Represents the team on committees and works with multiple internal and external partners to support the strategic priorities of our organization, through effectively communication, advancing priorities, and promoting collaboration among key partners.
Qualifications / Skills and Education
Masters' Degree in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Data Science, Software Engineering, or other related technical discipline is required plus at least seven (7) years' experience working as a Data Engineer, Data Solutions Architect, Software Developer, Business Intelligence Engineer or Data Scientist with experience in data architecture and Cloud platform, manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large datasets. Minimum of three (3) year of the relevant experience managing a Data Engineering team. Cloud certificates related to AWS or Azure preferred. Experience with healthcare analytics is an asset.
Skills and Abilities
• Proficiency in working with data modeling, ETL/ELT development, large scale data warehousing, data mining and/or analytical systems, big data ecosystem e.g. Hadoop, Distributed Computing, Spark, data lakes, etc. Deep understanding of end-to-end data architecture, business intelligence technologies, concepts, and methodologies with solid knowledge of various industry standards such as dimensional modeling, and star schemas etc.
• Demonstrated ability to build and optimize data pipelines infrastructure and data sets and computing tools such as Spark, MySQL, Azure, AWS, etc.
• Solid understanding of project management and portfolio management frameworks and processes with a proven ability to plan and execute complex projects with stringent budgets and timelines.
• Ability to supervise and provide direction to team members, with skills in teaching, coaching and mentoring others.
• Demonstrated proficiency working with both relational (SQL) and non-relational databases (NoSQL).
• Strong coding ability in Python, Java etc and its use in the data modeling frameworks.
• Knowledge of end-to-end implementation in data analytics solutions (data ingestion, processing, provisioning and visualization) for largescale and complex environments.
• Demonstrated understanding of data privacy, security and related tools such as anonymization and encryption.
• Demonstrated ability to comprehend and prioritize user and business requirements, and to conceptualize information processing solutions in response to them, including analyzing, scoping and defining the work effort required to correct deficiencies and problems.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate complex ideas and processes in simple terminology to internal and external stakeholders, including all levels of management.
• Physical ability to perform the duties of the position
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Leads the team in the design, development, implement, and maintain of secure and scalable cloud-based data infrastructure needed to sustain enterprise reporting and advanced analytics and optimization of multi-faceted operational data sources and technologies ensuring feasibility, functionality, and integration with existing models.
2. Leads the team to develop and implement cloud-based data solutions that address operational and clinical challenges within the organization. Articulates, recommends, designs and architects the right blend of products to build end-to-end data management and analytics architectures on Azure and AWS cloud platforms.
3. Serves as a project manager for assigned data analytics projects, including the development, monitoring and evaluation of project plans and deliverables to support the key strategic and operational priorities of the team. Develops roadmaps, reference documents and provide guidance and direction to project teams.
4. Defines could data platform integration into various sources and collaborate Enterprise architecture, Cloud Services Enterprise Security team for compliance with security guidelines and strategic architecture.
5. Designs metadata driven ELT/ETL framework to automate the data ingestion with an emphasis on data quality, monitoring and scalability. Implements efficient data solutions and models to store and retrieve data for multiple use cases. Leads the Technology Solution, Architecture and Delivery of large and/or complex full lifecycle data applications across cloud, hybrid and on-prem landscapes.
6. Builds strong relationships with leadership across PHC to understand their unique data driven decision making needs. Develops and recommends new process and technical requirements to build end-to-end data management, modeling and reporting to improve quality of care, clinical outcomes, reduction of cost, and process improvements.
7. Builds strong relationships with cross-functional teams and the industry leading solutions in Cloud and Data and innovating technologies. Works with external partners to support PHC's strategic priorities through effectively communication, advancing priorities, and promoting collaboration and buy in. Ensures questions are addressed in order to achieve corporate objectives.
8. Holds responsibility for hiring, supervising, disciplining and terminating team staff members. Escalates tactical and strategic capacity issues to the senior manager.
9. Monitors all deliverables, quality and key performance indicators, to ensure service and technical standards are met.
10. Performs other related duties as required.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Providence Health Care must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.