Employed Student Nurse / Employed Student Psychiatric Nurse
Providence Health Care
Under the direction of a named registered nurse(s), Operations Leader and/or designate, provides direct nursing care to both stable and unstable patients/residents/clients commensurate with the level of education and training. Operates in accordance with the mission, vision and values and established protocols of Providence Health Care, and the competency guidelines, policies and BC College of Nurses and Midwives Standards for Nursing Practice.
Qualifications / Skills and Education
Successful completion of Year 2 or equivalent* of a BC College of Nurses and Midwives and continued enrollment in a recognized nursing education program. Current student membership with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives.
*Equivalency to be determined with nursing education program in which student is registered.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to perform Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) procedures appropriate for the area of service.
- Ability to organize assigned workload and set priorities.
- Ability to deal effectively with a variety of internal and external contacts including co-workers, physicians, community agency representatives, patients/residents/clients, and families.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
Duties and Responsibilities
Assesses, records and reports the health status of assigned patients, residents, clients to identify and document patient, resident, client status by performing duties such as:
- Collecting patient/resident/client data from patient chart and other related patient records, observing patient condition, and conducting physical, mental, emotional and social assessments;
- Collaborating with other members of the nursing team, multi-disciplinary team, community care partners, patient/resident/client and family;
- Documenting health care status;
- Reporting current status or changes in status to appropriate personnel as required.
Collaborates with the nursing team, multi-disciplinary team members, community care partners, and the patient/resident/client and family and assists in development and modification of patient/resident/client care plan, including the flow of care, to address the assessed needs of the individual by:
- Assisting patient/resident/client to develop health-promoting relationships;
- Assisting in the establishment of short and long term health status goals;
- Assisting in the identification and prioritization of appropriate nursing actions such as preventative, therapeutic, and rehabilitative aspects of care;
- Assisting in the discharge planning process.
Provides nursing care to assigned patients/residents/clients by performing a variety of nursing functions such as administering medications, carrying out parental therapy, changing IV solutions, performing catheterizations, performing wound and skin care, preparing patients for surgery and other procedures, conducting planned nursing interventions and identifying and reporting crisis or emergent situations.
Evaluates patient/resident/client response to the care by assessing the effect of the nursing interventions as identified in the care plan and modifying interventions as appropriate. Recommends and participates in the multidisciplinary team evaluation of patient/resident/client care, including readiness for discharge.
Participates in quality improvement plans/activities and assists in collating data.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Providence Health Care must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.