CNL/Nurse Educator, Addictions Services
Providence Health Care
Are you passionate about making a difference in the lives of individuals who are dealing with addiction and substance use? Reporting to the Patient Care Manager, the Clinical Nurse Leader/Nurse Educator coordinates the day-to-day operations of a designated nursing unit or service and supervises staff. Acts as a clinical resource to nursing staff and interdisciplinary team members in the provision of direct care to patients. Assists in the promotion of research and quality improvement initiatives within the program. Receiving work direction from the Director, Professional Practice & Nursing or designate, the Clinical Nurse Leader/Nurse Educator provides visible, accessible clinical support to the nursing staff as an education resource for staff in the clinical areas. Develops, implements, and evaluates educational programs for nursing staff and patients/families. Performs direct nursing care as required.
Qualifications / Skills and Education
- Registration with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives as a practicing RN registrant, qualifications required of staff nurse in clinical area, plus three years of recent related experience in clinical specialty, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
**For Clinical Nurse Leader vacancies in mental health services and in extended and intermediate care services, positions will be dual posted for Registered Nurse/Registered Psychiatric Nurse with registration with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives as a practicing RN or a practicing RPN registrant.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to coach and supervise.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to perform Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) procedures appropriate for the area of service.
- Ability to match skills of staff with clinical needs.
- Ability to identify learning needs and develop educational programs.
- Ability to provide and/or develop resource materials including educational materials.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of adult education principles.
- Ability to teach and lead groups.
- Ability to deal with and promote change.
- Ability to role model conflict resolution strategies.
- Ability to work as a member of a interdisciplinary team.
- Ability to apply decision making and analytical skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to role model conflict resolution strategies.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work independently.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to operate related equipment, including computers.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Works collaboratively with the Patient Care Manager and Physician Leader(s) in the development and monitoring of the assigned unit or service. Coordinates the day-to-day activities of the assigned unit or service by supervising staff, actively monitoring and following up on the work of staff, coordinating work assignments, providing critical input on employee performance, orientating new employees, calling in relief staff as necessary, and authorizing overtime shifts. Problem-solves and troubleshoots staffing issues.
- Consults, problem solves and follows up with physicians, interdisciplinary team members and nursing staff regarding care issues.
- Acts as a clinical resource to nursing staff, students, and other members of the interdisciplinary team by demonstrating procedures, answering questions related to clinical practice issues, problem solving, and troubleshooting concerns. Advises Patient Care Manager and/or resource person of issues/concerns.
- Provides formal education to other nurses and formally advises on nursing practice; assesses, plans, implements and evaluates educational programs within the clinical area in collaboration with the Patient Care Manager and other nursing staff through methods such as assessing requests for programs, validating learning needs through needs assessment and consultation and developing proposals and new programs to meet learning needs.
- Coordinates and/or prepares and provides educational activities including coaching staff in clinical nursing skills and behaviours by methods such as role modeling and through individual and group teaching, identifying outcome indicators and evaluating and revising programs accordingly. Participates in the design, implementation and evaluation of hospital wide educational programs as required.
- Reviews policies, procedures and reference materials for nursing staff and other members of the multi-disciplinary team and makes recommendations for changes. Updates and communicates changes to staff as approved.
- Provides clinical consultation to internal and external health care professionals in area of expertise.
- Develops, implements and evaluates patient education programs. Leads group patient/family sessions as required and coaches patient/resident/family to develop and maintain health promoting behaviours within the context of the care issue.
- Performs direct nursing care including physical assessment and administering medications and treatments. Monitors patient progress and adjusts plan of care to ensure patient outcomes.
- Participates in multi-disciplinary rounds and provides input regarding patient and family progress.
- Identifies trends in patient outcomes and recommends program modifications to the Patient Care Manager.
- Promotes the use of research findings into practice through methods such as incorporating information into policies, procedures, reference materials, education materials and teaching sessions.
- Supports research activities and participates in the development of quality improvement initiatives as requested through methods such as the participation in ongoing qualitative and quantitative research projects and ensuring ongoing patient satisfaction measurement.
- Supports nursing practices across the organization through methods such as representing the program/service and/or participating in nursing hospital wide and community committees as requested. Reports back to program/service on matters arising from committee work. Maintains effective relationships with external agencies and stakeholders.
- Provides input to the Patient Care Manager in the Performance Planning and Coaching process as requested by a staff member and/or Leader.
- Documents processes, utilization statistics, maintains records /databases and provides written and verbal reports and feedback as required to demonstrate accountability and to continuously improve the quality of clinical education services.
- Provides input and recommendations to the Patient Care Manager regarding physical space, equipment, supplies, and staffing requirements.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.