Data Analytics Lead
Providence Health Care
Reporting to the Manager, Data Analytics and Reporting, the Data Analytics Lead acts as the clinical and operational lead on data analytical strategies, plans and projects to support designated Program and Service teams throughout the organization, as well as the Board and Senior Leadership Team (SLT). Operates at a strategic level to research, identify, assess, analyze/interpret, highlight, monitor and report on related business/analytical performance, forecasts, patterns, and statistical and critical indicator data as they pertain to assigned project/service area. Ensures the relevant customer analytical and related reporting needs are supported by performing business analytical, data utilization and reporting duties and performing complex functions pertaining to operational planning and management. Provides overall planning, oversight, coordination and related due diligence, analysis, reporting, and recommendations which have a direct impact on decisions related to human resources and patient care management. Manages data analytics projects including providing direction and acting as a resource to staff assigned to these projects.
Qualifications / Skills and Education
Master's Degree in Business or Health Administration, Operations Management, Industrial Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics or other relevant related discipline plus seven (7) to ten (10) years' recent, related experience (preferably in a healthcare setting or in a large multidisciplinary environment with complex computerized systems), or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Experience must include a minimum of four (4) years in consulting or similar analyst position implementing Tableau dashboards reporting and experience writing SQL queries, Excel, PowerPoint, Tableau, Python (or similar).
Skills and Abilities
•Advanced knowledge of computerized data systems, databases, tools, and procedures.• •Comprehensive knowledge of business administration including strategic and operational planning.• •General knowledge of current health care systems, issues and trends.• •Comprehensive process management and analytical skills.• •Demonstrated ability to develop and apply analytical methodologies and processes to support the operations of a large organization. • •Superior problem solving, critical thinking, and evaluation skills.• •Demonstrated ability to prepare business case proposals and present recommendations to senior management levels.• •Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with staff at all levels within the organization, both orally and in writing.• •Demonstrated success in organizing and prioritizing workload to meet deadlines with minimal supervision.• •Effective facilitation, persuasion and negotiation skills to achieve consensus, resolve conflict and achieve desired outcomes.• •Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision.• •Demonstrated ability to supervise/lead staff.• •Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.• •Demonstrated ability to effectively and efficiently operate related equipment and software.• •Physical ability to perform the duties of the job.•
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Leads the regional and local Data Analytics and Reporting activities by developing a strong relationship with the clinical areas, acting as a Business Partner. In addition, works in close collaboration with the Operations Research and Analytics team and the clinical programs (incl. Access & Flow, ED, Medicine, Heart & Lung, ...) to help execute and optimize stakeholder engagement plans and a data analytics roadmap.
2. Leads team design and development efforts involving multiple resources across functional and technical areas. Make recommendations for process optimization, process redesign, or development of new process/policies for optimizing clinical workflows or addressing data quality issues.
3. Implementing best practices, operates at a strategic level and uses expertise to research, identify, assess, analyze or interpret, highlight, monitor related operational and analytical information, performance, forecasts, patterns, statistical and critical indicator data as it pertains to assigned project or service area.
4. Provides leadership and acts as a resource for decision making purposes by providing support and contributing expertise, evaluation, and advice to designated servicing portfolio on areas such as performance improvement, service delivery modeling, funding applications, operational and business process improvement reviews and related analytical process, data utilization, and reporting requirements. Facilitates consensus with stakeholders as needed and identifies viable objectives, directions and options.
5. Effectively incorporates analytical, business and data management assessment skills and methodology to achieve a comprehensive multi-layered understanding of the related analytical and business processes and tools. Provides application and analysis of appropriate statistical tests to information as well as expert assessment of data quality and validity. Also provides developmental expertise in comprehensive, integrated, longitudinal report design and presentation of statistical, clinical data.
6. Produces comprehensive, timely and high quality confidential business cases, needs assessment, analysis, reports/reporting, and deliverables for use by stakeholders and/or members of the executive team. Ensures results and assessments are properly documented, maintained and in keeping with legislated reporting requirements, guidelines, or other timelines or requirements.
7. Acts as a project manager for data analytics projects including the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of project plans and deliverables. Provides work direction and may be required to supervise staff assigned to projects, including monitoring operational capacity and ensuring service and technical standards are met. Keeps Manager informed and identifies any issues and/or obstacles encountered.
8. Works collaboratively and effectively with stakeholders to provide the necessary support/service for implementation of outcomes. Reviews problem areas with stakeholders, analyzes deviations from plan and investigates causes. Prepares written variance analyses highlighting resource utilization, expenditure patterns, statistical and critical data/information. In conjunction with the Manager, makes corrective adjustments as necessary.
9. Regularly assesses trends, identifies alternatives, and provides recommendations to improve operational effectiveness and efficiency, including identifying, developing and/or sharing “best practice” processes, identifying and advising on opportunities for optimal operational and analytical data resource allocation, and developing and implementing improvements to the department's data quality issues and/or work processes.
10. Liaises with stakeholders and assists the Manager with identifying and setting short and long term objectives and/or solutions, and prioritizing capital requests for assigned programs and/or departments. Coaches and mentors staff and leaders in the designated servicing portfolio to develop skills and/or improve their understanding of the range of analytical matters, processes, reporting and system requirements for their area of responsibility.
11. Participates in quality improvement and utilization management activities and monitoring processes by timely analysis, interpretation and reporting of information following generally accepted principles/best practices, assessing trends, consulting with relevant stakeholders, and identifying and acting upon opportunities to improve operational effectiveness and efficiency.
12. Participates in a variety of internal and external committees as required and establishes positive working relationships to coordinate the exchange of data and to ensure successful outcomes and cooperation. Participates in regional, hospital and departmental projects as required.
13. As required, participates in the negotiation of inter-health authority, vendor and/or third party partnership contracts and agreements. Monitors the outcome on the service(s) within PHC.
14. Performs other duties as required.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Providence Health Care must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.