Providence Health Care
Reporting to the designated Physiotherapy and/or Occupational Therapy Site Leader, receiving guidance and support from the Professional Practice Leader and/or Research, Education and Practice Coordinator and receiving work direction from an Occupational Therapist and/or Physiotherapist, the position supports the interdisciplinary program/team, which is under the direction of the Operations Leader, in achieving program, patient and resident goals. This position prepares and carries out therapeutic, recreational and social activities designed to stimulate client's physical, social and mental needs. Assists the Therapist with equipment maintenance and the fabrication of adaptive devices as appropriate. Coordinates transportation to and from rehabilitation/recreation sessions.
Qualifications / Skills and Education
Grade 12, completion of a Rehabilitation Assistant Program, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
Demonstrated ability to deal with others effectively including patients/residents, families, and staff.
Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
Ability to teach, demonstrate, and instruct.
Ability to organize work.
Ability to operate related equipment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- In consultation with Therapist(s), prepares and carries out group and individual activities to meet the residents’/patients’ physical, cognitive and psycho-social needs.
- Activities may include: exercise, ambulation, crutch walking, range of motion (ROM), self-care training, reminiscing, current events, mental aerobics, art or music activities, basic relaxation groups, and other therapeutic or recreational activities.
- Demonstrates and instructs the techniques of related activities and communicates activity plans with other disciplines.
- Reports back to the Therapist any changes in patients’/residents’ condition.
In consultation with a therapist(s) plans and conducts group interventions using a variety of therapeutic approaches to meet residents’ and/or patients’ physical, social, cultural and psychological needs.
- Coordinates, prepares and carries out patient/resident outings.
- Ensures the safety and well being of residents and/or patients inside and outside the facility.
- Documents first-hand observations regarding clients' status by recording observations on chart records, flow sheet forms and/or incident reports as required.
- Reports observations concerning residents’/patients’ status to designated therapist or appropriate team member.
- Cleans and maintains equipment and reports malfunctioning equipment or equipment needs to designated therapist.
- Assists the designated therapist in maintaining manual wheelchairs, walkers and accessories by carrying out minor adjustments and identifying and reporting operational problems.
- Maintains established inventory lists, levels of supplies and equipment and replaces stock in accordance with departmental procedures.
- Assists with the orientation of new residents or patients and their families to the unit by introducing them to the facility and the programs as required.
- Assists with the orientation of staff, students and volunteers as required.
- Provides direction to volunteers during activity programs, and demonstrates related techniques as required.
- Fabricates adaptive devices under the direction of the designated therapist by cutting out material, sewing items, assembling parts and/or making alterations as required.
- Assists in fostering a pleasant, stimulating and inviting environment, through encouraging resident/client participation and activity, such as providing seasonally relevant activities.
- Records workload statistics as required.
- May participate in staff meetings, team conferences, in-service education programs and presentations, and attends related courses. Performs other related duties as assigned.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Providence Health Care must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.