4th Class Engineer
Providence Health Care
Reporting to the Chief Engineer, performs duties related to the operation and maintenance of the plant. Performs inspection and repair of a variety of equipment such as heating boilers, air conditioning systems, water lines, plumbing systems, and sterilizers, in accordance with various codes and regulations.
Qualifications / Skills and Education
Certificate of competency as a 4th Class Power Engineer recognized by the Province of British Columbia. Two years’ recent, related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
Ability to deal with others effectively.
Ability to read and interpret blueprints, drawings and specifications.
Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
Ability to organize work.
Ability to operate related equipment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Operates heating boilers/air conditioning systems including starting up and shutting down boilers and related pumps, fans, air compressors, and pneumatic systems.
- Monitors and adjusts temperature control systems, and records meter and gauge readings to ensure distribution of air heating to designated areas.
- Checks and repairs equipment such as hot and cold water lines, waste lines, sewer lines, sumps and traps, steam valves, radiator taps, sterilizers, ovens, warmers and distribution lines, sinks, toilets, bathtubs, showers and other plumbing fixtures.
- Monitors and adjusts physical plant and heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems by operating a variety of mechanical, pneumatic and/or electronic control systems and performing tasks such as altering system operating parameters and schedules.
- Performs preventative and demand maintenance on steam and hot water boilers and heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems by lubricating, repairing, replacing, or installing equipment and or parts such as pumps, fans, air compressors, heaters, refractories, valves, bearings and seals.
- Cleans, checks and lubricates various items of plant and other hospital equipment like beds, wheelchairs stretchers and floor cleaners. Changes and cleans ventilating air filters, fan rooms, and duct work as required.
- Answers service and emergency calls for systems such as fire protection, medical air, vacuum, and gas.
- Resets systems, assesses and performs required repairs and/or calls in required persons according to established procedures.
- Ensures compliance with various codes and regulations applying to power engineering by providing direction in relation to plant safety to persons working within the power plant.
- Responds to alarms and other emergencies and reports incidents and security problems to the Manager.
- Enforces fire safety and security policies and procedures.
- Maintains records and makes log book entries, and carries out tests and calculations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Providence Health Care must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.