Employed Student Respiratory Therapist
Providence Health Care
Under the direction and/or support of the Respiratory Therapy Professional Practice Leader, Site Leader, Research, Education & Practice Coordinator, or supervising Respiratory Therapist, the Employed Student Respiratory Therapist provides direct Respiratory Therapy care to patients commensurate with their level of education and training. Operates in accordance with the unit/program philosophy, organizational principles including Indigenous Cultural Safety, cultural humility and anti-racism principles, competency guidelines, policies, and Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists (CSRT) Standards for Respiratory practices.
Qualifications / Skills and Education
Successful completion of Level 1 of clinical placement from an accredited and recognized Respiratory Therapy Program and continued enrollment in a recognized education program. Certification in Basic Life Support or equivalent.
Skills and Abilities
Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Ability to organize assigned workload and set priorities.
Ability to think critically and problem solve.
Ability to deal effectively with a variety of internal and external contacts including co-workers, patients, and families, physicians, community agency representatives.
Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assesses, records and reports the health status of patients to identify and document patient status by performing duties such as:
- Collecting patient data from patient chart and other related patient records, observing patient condition, and conducting physical assessments;
- Collaborating with other members of the Respiratory Therapy team, multi-disciplinary team, patient and family;
- Documenting health care status; and
- Reporting current status or changes in status to appropriate personnel as required.
- Collaborates with the Respiratory Therapy team, multi-disciplinary team members, community care partners, and the patient and family and assists in development and modification of patient care plan, including the flow of care, to address the assessed needs of the individual by:
- Assisting patient to develop health-promoting relationships;
- Assisting in the establishment of short and long term health status goals;
- Assisting in the identification and prioritization of appropriate care actions such as preventative, therapeutic, and rehabilitative aspects of care; and
- Assisting in the discharge planning process.
- Based upon the previous skillset of the Employed Student, and the assessed competencies by the supervising Respiratory Therapist, provides Respiratory Therapy care by performing functions commensurate with level of education and training:
- Assists and/or supports the supervising Respiratory Therapist with procedures, therapies, interventions, etc., which may include, but not limited to the following:
- Assessing, applying, monitoring and managing basic oxygen therapy;
Administering inhaled medications;
- Basic airway management (including airway adjuncts, bronchial hygiene, tracheostomy care, etc.);
- Maintaining and weaning invasive and non-invasive mechanical ventilation;
- Invasive and non-invasive ventilator monitoring and documentation;
- Explaining care plan to patient and family;
- Identifying and reporting crisis or emergent situations;
- Teaching self/home care skills to patient and/or family members; and
- Stocking, maintaining and taking inventory of related supplies and equipment.
- Evaluates patient response to the care by assessing the effect of the interventions as identified in the care plan and modifying interventions as appropriate. Recommends and participates in the multidisciplinary team evaluation of patient care, including readiness for discharge.
- Participates in quality improvement plans/activities and assists in collating data.
- Carries out responsibilities in accordance with health and safety requirements. Immediately reports unsafe situations by notifying supervisor or other appropriate personnel.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Providence Health Care must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.