Respiratory Therapist I
Providence Health Care
Within the context of a patient, client and family centred model of care and, in accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Providence Health Care, promotes a safe, respectful, and civil working environment for patients, residents, families, visitors and staff.
Under the direction of the Professional Practice Leader for Respiratory Therapy, the Respiratory Therapist provides services related to pulmonary diagnostic testing, respiratory therapy, and critical care services. Contributes to the development and evaluation of clinical materials, program planning and procedures and inventory control by providing feedback and input. Maintains knowledge of current developments in respiratory therapy as required by the employer.
Qualifications / Skills and Education
Graduation from a recognized school of Respiratory Therapy and Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists (CSRT) Certified.
Skills and Abilities
Demonstrated ability to communicate with and deal effectively with, patients/residents, families, staff, physicians, and other health care providers.
Demonstrated knowledge and ability to perform Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) procedures appropriate for the area of service.
Demonstrated ability to gather relevant data and make a multi-dimensional assessment.
Demonstrated ability to conduct patient/resident assessments.
Knowledge of other health care disciplines and their role in patient/resident care.
Demonstrated ability to draw out information that will contribute to understanding the patient/resident’s situation in order to explore issues beyond the initial concerns.
Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
Demonstrated ability to deal with and/or guide others in conflict resolution issues.
Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
Ability to work independently and prioritize issues and workload.
Ability to operate related equipment.
Ability to participate in research.
Demonstrated ability to provide supervision and teaching to students.
Demonstrated ability to develop and provide inservices and presentations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assesses, develops, implements and evaluates Respiratory Therapy care for patients and documents treatment plans and results.
- Initiates, monitors and discontinues oxygen therapy for patients. Assesses need, mode of delivery, status of patients for bronchodilator therapy.
- Performs diagnostic procedures related to pulmonary function testing.
- Calibrates and maintains a variety of equipment such as laboratory and ventilators and ventilator adjuncts and maintains accepted quality control as outlined in Departmental Association and Accreditations standards.
- Assists Physicians with routine bronchoscopies by providing technical support, set-up, tissue, and sample procurement.
- Prepares and sets up patients for over-night oximetry and sleep apnea screening. Maintains data and charts.
- Performs a variety of procedures such as arterial line insertions, arterial blood gas punctures, intubation, extubation, and drawing blood from arterial catheters for gas analysis.
- Initiates, maintains, and monitors patients receiving mechanical ventilation in the critical care areas as per unit specific protocol. Reports abnormalities or concerns to the Professional Practice Leader,
- Respiratory Services or to the area supervisor as necessary.
- Assesses patients on critical care respiratory modalities and performs the required weaning protocol and/or discontinuance of the systems.
- Provides airway control and resuscitation skills in cardiorespiratory arrests, neonatal emergencies and trauma calls as an active member of the code blue, code pink and trauma teams.
- Provides, monitors, and directs the care, including cleaning, suctioning, and weaning and monitors artificial airways. Performs tracheostomy tube changes.
- Accompanies inter and intra hospital transport patients requiring mechanical ventilation and/or airway stabilization.
- Ensures and maintains quality improvement by participating in the development, implementation and evaluation of written procedures and standards, assessment forms, patient/resident materials, program description, audit tools, and clinical guidelines.
- Contributes to the development and evaluation of clinical materials, program planning and procedures and inventory control by providing feedback and input.
- Maintains knowledge of current developments in respiratory therapy as required by the employer.
- Completes required health record reports and reports workload statistics.
- Provides clinical supervision to and evaluation of students as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Providence Health Care must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.