Data Integration Specialist
Providence Health Care
Within the context of a client and family centered model of care and, in accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Providence Health Care, the person promotes a safe, respectful, and civil working environment for patients, residents, families, visitors and staff.
Reporting to the Data Integration Manager, the Data Integration Specialist is responsible for assisting in the development and management, and supporting assigned new and existing data integrations that interconnect Providence Health Care (PHC) software solutions and other systems. The resulting integrated solutions support clinical, operational, research, and strategic decisions-making at PHC. The role involves being part of a team of PHC Data Integration Specialists to achieve the organizational goals related to data interchange.
The Data Integration Specialist provides hands-on software development work as their primary responsibility, with design, monitoring, and on-going support of these interfaces also being an important component of the role and having a practical working understanding of the technologies involved.
The Specialists works alongside the PHC Data Integration Specialists, the PHC Cloud Data Architect, PHC Data Engineers, IMITS technical teams, and others to solve data integration challenges. The Data Integration Specialist conforms to the standards and guidelines that all PHC staff will be required to follow related to documenting and testing interfaces, as well as suggesting improvements to these when such are warranted.
Additionally, the role involves assisting in the training of PHC staff in relevant interchange standards and technical approaches. In aid of the above, the Data Integration Specialist will stay apprised of current trends and research on all aspects of data interchange standards.
Qualifications / Skills and Education
Education, Training and Experience
A level of education, training and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Health Information Science, Management Information Systems or a related field, plus a minimum of three (3) years’ experience working in one of the following fields: systems integration, data warehousing, data modelling or analytics. Strong understanding of health care system operations and public and population health concepts is an asset.
Skills and Abilities
• Strong analytical, problem solving and system analysis skills including the ability to comprehend complex large scale health care environment operational issues and related data/information and present information in concise meaningful ways.
• Client focused with an ability to cooperate with peers and professionals from other disciplines.
• Demonstrated understanding of various health care industry standards, frameworks, ontologies including FHIR, SMART-on-FHIR, HL7v2, DICOM, SNOMED-CT, ICD-10, and IHE.
• Knowledge of methods and techniques involved in networking and automated data interchange.
• Coding proficiency in at least one modern programming language (Python, Java, etc.).
• Understanding of data privacy, security and related tools such as anonymization and encryption.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to clearly and fluently translate technical findings to non-technical partners and to communicate to multiple audiences using data storytelling and through graphics.
• Persistence and displays a positive attitude to the iterative development cycle and sometimes problematic data integration issues involving multiple organizations.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in an interdisciplinary environment and to develop recommendations using facilitation and consensus building.
• Strong analytical, critical thinking, and evaluation skills to work as part of a leadership team to discern and help solve the important problems facing health care, to identify new ways to leverage data, and to direct efforts in the right direction.
• Self-directed and motivated to learn new tools and technology.
• Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Works under the direction of the Data Integration Manager and in coordination with the PHC Cloud Data Architect to implement the data integration architecture to address PHC priorities and objectives, particularly as it relates to the PHC Data Hub.
2. Works as part of a team of PHC Data Integration Specialists and related contractors as necessary to meet the organization’s needs in data integration development and on-going support.
3. Advises and monitors work of PHSA IMITS staff involved in assigned projects interfacing to PHC systems, to ensure that the interfaces align with PHC needs, conventions, and standards.
4. Provides technical subject matter expertise to PHC Data Engineering staff in best methods for (a) gaining access to new external data for incorporation into PHC Data Hub and other related systems, and (b) providing data from the PHC Data Hub to other systems.
5. In collaboration with the Manager, develops integration software for in-house projects and assists other PHC staff as required.
6. Contributes to PHC data interface documentation standards and ensures compliance by PHC staff when developing such interfaces.
7. In support of data integration projects, coordinates with technical representatives of the other partner organizations (CST, IMITS, etc.) and technology vendors (CERNER, Oracle, etc.) involved in the shared EHR solution.
8. Contributes to ensuring data conduits created by PHC are in compliance with privacy, cybersecurity, and other required data policies/best practices in the development of interfaces.
9. As part of assigned projects, develops and maintains sufficient level of subject matter expertise in each new data asset being connected to the PHC Data Hub to optimize interface design and ensure reliable operations.
10. Participates in commercial software procurement processes, providing expert guidance on desired data integration capabilities and evaluating candidate vendor solutions against the resulting assembled requirements.
11. Prepares internal technical training materials on data integration, related standards, and technology suitable for use by Data Integration Specialists and other PHC Staff.
12. Performs other related duties as required.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Providence Health Care must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.