Patient Care Manager - Maternity/NICU
Providence Health Care
Reporting to the Program Director or Senior Manager, this key role provides operational leadership and support to interdisciplinary team members in the provision of quality care to patients/residents and their families. This position maintains responsibility in collaboration with a Physician Leader for the effective and efficient delivery of services within specified sub-units of a clinical program. This role promotes and facilitates the continuum of care delivery both internally and with external agencies in alignment with the Program goals and strategic direction by implementing and using quality improvement, utilization management, staff development and resource management strategies. This position works collaboratively within the Program Based Care Model and in concert with the Program Leaders, other Managers, Practice Leaders, Corporate and Support Leaders.
Qualifications / Skills and Education
Master's degree in a related Health Profession plus a minimum of five (5) years' experience at the middle management level in a medium to large health care organization or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Skills and Abilities
Defines a vision and facilitates, guides, and mentors individuals and groups towards the vision, while maintaining group cohesiveness, motivation, commitment and effectiveness.
Communicates effectively both verbally and in writing such that messages are understood; that is, understanding the essence and subtleties of the communication and the intended audience.
Manages human, capital, financial and information resources so that organizational objectives are achieved.
Identifies and analyses situations and problems such that viable solutions are found. Approaches tasks and problems such that total systems and strategies are taken into account.
Responsive to the needs of health care, public, and community stakeholders and customers. Seeks partnership opportunities and actively promotes positive relations.
Plans and establishes courses of action for self and others that are results oriented.
Aware of the interdependence of organizational systems and stakeholders and considers the whole in the formulation of solutions.
Strives to understand perspectives of team members, synthesizes with own opinion, presents convincing point of view, and resolves conflicts.
Manages own work activities and delegates tasks to achieve maximum efficiency.
Mastery of Change:
Accepting of new initiatives and champions the implementation process amongst team members.
Continuously identifies and implements improvements in work systems to ensure that the highest possible level of quality service is achieved.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provides leadership to the interdisciplinary team to ensure patient /resident/family focused care is delivered within a coordinated and integrated care delivery model.
2. Collaborates with the Physician Operations Leader to plan and manage the provision of effective and efficient care within assigned sub-units to support the achievement of operational and strategic objectives of the clinical program and consistent with the mission, vision and values of PHC.
3. Collaborates with other Leaders to lead and/or participate in process improvements by engaging the interdisciplinary team in problem-solving and applying tools of quality improvement, utilization and risk management including implementation of standards and tracking mechanisms and use of data and variance analysis.
4. Works with community and/or internal partners as appropriate to ensure the provision of timely care to meet the needs of patients/residents/families. Assists team to manage risks, incidents, family/client complaints and discharge planning.
5. Ensures effective, two-way communications with and among team members so that each team is aware of and understands changes impacting them, the site, the organization and how such changes will impact delivery of services.
6. Provides the interface between the assigned sub-units and corporate /support systems to identify needs and participate in identifying solutions that will enable the front-line delivery of care.
7. Collaborates with physician partner to develop the operating and capital budget for the areas of responsibility, monitor productivity indicators, budget variances and analysis. Approves timekeeping records, authorizes overtime and compiles periodic operational reports.
8. Develops, recommends, and implements, in collaboration with Human Resource Representative(s), strategies for recruitment and retention of staff that support the goals and objectives of the clinical area(s) of responsibility.
9. Facilitates the development and implementation of orientation programs for new staff to provide the appropriate education in clinical practice routines, and hospital policies and procedures
10. Develops, recommends, implements, and evaluates staffing patterns, rotations and vacation schedules to ensure sufficient staff to meet patient/resident care needs.
11. Participates as a member of the leadership team by performing related duties such as formulating employer demands for collective bargaining, developing strike contingency plans, representing the employer during grievance proceedings, participating in the managerial 24 hour call structure and facilitating and initiating service delivery change proposals.
12. Creates an environment that embraces and facilitates interdisciplinary team learning, evaluation and continuous improvement.
13. In collaboration with Professional Practice Leaders and Advanced Practice Nurses:
- Ensures that team practices align with established clinical/corporate standards, guidelines, systems.
- Determines skill mix and staff complement required to support clinical care in assigned sub-units; selects staff; determines performance expectations and provides coaching based on the goals and objectives of the clinical areas of responsibility.
- Facilitates the development and implementation of orientation programs for new staff to provide the appropriate education in clinical practice routines and hospital policies and procedures.
- Develops, recommends, implements and evaluates staffing patterns, rotations and vacation schedules to ensure staffing to meet patient/resident care needs.
- Jointly conducts performance appraisals of interdisciplinary care teams and their members.
- Ensures fieldwork opportunity for interdisciplinary students including orientation to the work place and evaluation /feedback of performance.
- Fosters the concept of evidence-based practice.
14. Performs other related functions as assigned.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Providence Health Care must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.