Providence Health Care
Reporting to the Manager, Accounting Services (or designate), the Finance Coordinator provides a variety of professional and accounting services, and analyzes, supports, and implements improvements to meet the periodic reporting and other requirements of the Accounting Services Team. Provides back-up and support for the maintenance of accounting functions in accordance with Providence’s policies and procedures, including the development of monitoring standards for various patient accounts and period data audits. Supports the team during period year-end with full cycle accounting, and assists in the preparation of year-end working papers for external auditors.
Qualifications / Skills and Education
Bachelor’s degree in a related field, plus four (4) years’ recent experience related to financial analysis and data generation and reporting requirements, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
Advanced computer skills, specific to database navigation and reporting skills.
Strong MS Office skills advanced Excel skills.
Working knowledge of Windows operating systems.
Ability to graphically display data and report trends.
Ability to comprehend complex technical reporting concepts and then implement solutions to meet reporting requirements.
Outstanding attention to detail, accuracy, and quality of work.
Strong mathematical and problem solving organizational skills.
Ability to manage workflow and meet multiple tight deadlines.
Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. In keeping with PHC financial procedures and standards, provides backup and support to the Accounting Services Team to maintain accounting functions, and to meet periodic, year-end reporting and other requirements, including the financial, statistical, and regulatory reporting at fiscal period ends to both internal and external users (e.g. PHC’s Senior Leadership Team, the Ministry of Health, and Vancouver Coastal Health Authority).
2. Supports the Accounting Services Team members during period/year end process by preparing journal entries, analyzing accounts and trends to provide background information for the period end and year end closing process. Assists in the preparation of, (or prepares as directed by the Manager, Accounting Services (or designate)) year-end working papers for the external auditors relating to financial accounts as required.
3. Processes accounts receivable/accounts payable, capital project assignments, and communicates with internal and external clients, ensuring that processing timelines are adhered to. For accounts receivable, analyses and maintains accounts by methods such as reviewing account balances and reconciling bank deposits to outstanding amounts. Follows up on uncollected balances and actions accordingly as advised by Manager, Accounting Services (or designate).
4. Provides advice and guidance to staff relating to internal accounting policies, procedures, guidelines and timelines. Brings issues that are non-conforming to the attention of the Manager, Accounting Services (or designate).
5. Collects, analyzes, interprets, summarizes, and maintains claims and complex data sets for the generation of financial, statistical, and analytical reporting using advanced reporting tools. Generates periodic reports by entering or updating transactional and financial information and printing out the appropriate reports on a regular basis as needed.
6. Inputs data into the accounting systems. Maintains and updates relevant database(s) by tracking, verifying, and inputting invoices and other commitments. Provides backup and support for the various financial/ statistical systems, including quality controls on data inflows.
7. Develops and utilizes processes and methods for the auditing and quality control of operational data. Develops efficiencies to increase the effectiveness of reporting and identifies ways to consolidate data.
8. Assists in developing monitoring standards for various accounts to accurately analyze, isolate risk factors and produce reports for review with other members of the Accounting Services Team. Supports transitioning of new policies and procedures into the existing operating processes including coordination with other departments within Providence.
9. Prepares periodic/monthly reports including claims reports to the Ministry of Health /Vancouver Coastal Health Authority. Prepares other reports, some of a confidential nature, as required from other parties. Follows up on claims as appropriate.
10. Reconciles financial data such as claims against commitments, budget, actual payment and amounts recorded in the Finance General Ledger system. Resolves discrepancies and follows up as appropriate. Prepares account reconciliations accurately and in a timely manner.
11. Participates on high priority projects as identified by the Manager Accounting Services (or designate).
12. Sets up and maintains electronic filing system and materials related to a variety of financial information.
13. Performs other related duties as required.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Providence Health Care must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.