Staff Engineer - Identity Team
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2023
Who we are:
Immigration support is potentially available for this role.
lululemon is an innovative performance apparel company for yoga, running, training, and other athletic pursuits. Setting the bar in technical fabrics and functional design, we create transformational products and experiences that support people in moving, growing, connecting, and being well. We owe our success to our innovative product, emphasis on stores, commitment to our people, and the incredible connections we make in every community we're in. As a company, we focus on creating positive change to build a healthier, thriving future. In particular, that includes creating an equitable, inclusive and growth-focused environment for our people.
About this team:
The Staff Engineer role is in the Digital Identity Engineering team (Authentication, Profile, and Security), a part of the Digital Engineering Experiences Organization. We are a fast-moving team tasked with the responsibility to give our guests the ability to securely identify themselves, and present to them curated experiences relevant to their preferences and interests. We have both front-end and back-end teams. Authentication, Profile Management, Access Management, and the Experiences built on these and derived secondary services are core business functions we already support today.
lululemon Identity Engineering is dedicated to building secure, reliable, and performant products for our guests and partners. We embrace the philosophies of Agile, DevOps, and SRE to accelerate our development process and provide the most enjoyable, inclusive, and supportive work environment possible. We believe our journey is more fun when it is collaborative, as we focus on the future instead of the past. As our team’s Staff Engineer, you will work as part of a global team supported by our business and architecture partners, setting an example for our entire engineering organization to help us collaboratively develop and deliver industry leading technology solutions that drive lululemon’s business goals.
A day in the life:
As a Staff Engineer, you will work as the technical leader for the platform(s) and applications your team delivers. You will be counted on as a leader in your technology space as you contribute to all areas of development and operations (pre-production to production). You will spend a fair amount of time planning the evolution of the tools and systems that make up your platform, guiding your team’s roadmap year to year. You will contribute heavily to our Engineering principles by maintaining the practical “how we do it” documentation, and by partnering with Senior Leadership and Principal Engineers to lead a Community of Practice aimed at increasing Engineer training and development for your technology stack. Staff Engineers work to elevate our engineering community by designing/introducing tools and systems that accelerate and support our engineering best practices.
- Responsible for feature design; evaluate designs and provide feedback
- Influence quality standards and understand, identify, measure across entire solution
- Identify performance issues and optimize solutions
- Demonstrate competence of engineering concepts and theories, combining them with business understanding to design, document and implement clean and robust solutions to complex business problems
- Conduct research to aid in product development and tools selection
- Collaborate with other engineering teams, business stakeholders, as well as program and product managers to define and implement technical solutions
- Facilitate an Engineering Community of Practice for the organization
- Demonstrate an ability to turn business needs into functional requirements, while also explaining technical details in ways the business can understand. Participate in defining, scoping, and estimating resulting stories
- Work closely with your peers, mentor junior developers and help the team achieve its goals
- Maintain a high bar for code quality, testing and automation while finding opportunities to continuously improve them
- Drive design and code reviews, ensuring the team ships high quality, scalable, maintainable, and well-tested code
- Maintain a DevOps mindset, promoting cloud-oriented solutions while implementing and supporting monitoring, alerting, CI/CD pipelines as well as the team’s Cloud infrastructure
- Collaborates with Architecture, Security and Operations throughout product development life cycle
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in an engineering discipline, preferably computer science, or equivalent
- 10+ years of professional experience in delivering quality software, ideally across the full stackExcellent proficiency in an Object-Oriented language, Java is a must.
- Experience building enterprise level web applications from scratch, should be able to demonstrate deep understanding of technology choices
- Experience with RESTful architecture and micro services
- Experience with system design, architecture, scaling, and performance testing. Experience building services a plus
- Experience with integration & streaming technologies like Kafka
- Experience with Cloud technologies, proficiency with AWS is a must.
- Experience with databases. Hands on experience with MongoDB and/or DynamoDB is a must
- Experience with CI/CD and testing tools. Experience with Kubernetes and Docker is a plus
- Familiarity with AI/ML tools and technologies is a plus.
- Strong understanding of computer science fundamentals
- Experience developing solutions for retail or eCommerce businesses and other relevant domains such as manufacturing & logistics, supply chain, or corporate shared services is a big plus
- Acknowledge the presence of choice in every moment and take personal responsibility for your life.
- Possess an entrepreneurial spirit and continuously innovate to achieve great results.
- Communicate with honesty and kindness and create the space for others to do the same.
- Lead with courage, knowing the possibility of greatness is bigger than the fear of failure.
- Foster connection by putting people first and building trusting relationships.
- Integrate fun and joy as a way of being and working, aka doesn’t take yourself too seriously.
Immigration support is potentially available for this role.
Compensation and Benefits Package
lululemon’s compensation offerings are rooted in a pay-for-performance philosophy that recognizes exceptional individual and team performance. The typical hiring range for this position is from $141,000-$185,000 annually; the base pay offered is based on market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and internal equity. As part of our competitive Total Rewards offering, permanent employees in this position may be eligible for our competitive annual bonus and equity offerings, subject to program eligibility requirements.
At lululemon, investing in our people is a top priority. We believe that when life works, work works. In addition to our competitive Total Rewards offering, we also have personal and professional development offerings. Our offerings recognize our teams for their performance and support whole person development, including support for employees on how to grow their career:
Extended health and dental benefits, and mental health plans
- Paid time off
- Savings and retirement plan matching
- Generous employee discount
- Fitness & yoga classes
- Parenthood top-up
- Extensive catalog of development course offerings
- People networks, mentorship programs, and leadership series (to name a few)
Note: Availability of the incentive programs, benefits, and perks may be subject to your location & employment type and may have certain eligibility requirements. The Company reserves the right to alter these incentive programs, benefits, and perks in whole or in part at any time without advance notice.
This role is classified as Hybrid under our SSC Workplace Policy:
In-person collaboration is important, and much of the role can be performed remotely. Work is performed onsite at least 3 days per week.