Senior UX Researcher
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2023
who we are
lululemon is an innovative performance apparel company for yoga, running, training, and other athletic pursuits. Setting the bar in technical fabrics and functional design, we create transformational products and experiences that support people in moving, growing, connecting, and being well. We owe our success to our innovative product, emphasis on stores, commitment to our people, and the incredible connections we make in every community we're in. As a company, we focus on creating positive change to build a healthier, thriving future. In particular, that includes creating an equitable, inclusive and growth-focused environment for our people.
about this team:
The User Experience (UX) Research team is a growing team within the Global Digital, Omni & Guest Support department. The department overall is responsible for lululemon’s digital touchpoints with guests (customers), globally. This includes our e-commerce sites, apps, retail technology tools and fixtures, and call-centre and virtual engagement tools. The UX Research team’s mission is to deeply understand the needs of our users and articulate these as actionable insights and opportunities to our product, design, and development partners. We conduct generative and evaluative research in service to our partners, so that they can build exceptional experiences for our guests and educators (sales associates). We’re a team of passionate practitioners that love to learn and are always looking for ways to improve our craft and our delivery. We are a hybrid team, located across geographies and time zones, requiring comfort and flexibility working in virtual environments. If you want to help solve guest and educator problems and define the future of e-commerce and omni-retail experience at lululemon, we’re the team for you!
About this role:
The Senior UX Researcher is responsible for planning and executing complex user research activities. The role must partner with product and design to understand research needs, scope appropriate UX inquiries and studies, and provide actionable insights to inform and influence digital product design and development. This role will work with teams responsible for our online digital business in North America, and potentially international markets. This role is responsible for mentoring and coaching junior researchers, as well as supporting process improvements and other initiatives we are undertaking to grow and mature the team.
What you’ll do:
- Partner with product and design partners to understand current state and goals so that you can effectively design the right research inquiry for the largest opportunities within the experience.
- Identify research gaps, develop action plans to address missing insights and improve holistic understanding of users and experiences.
- Own, initiate, and conduct research activities to influence the larger goals and needs of our digital product and design partners.
- Effectively design research activities, including knowing how to leverage a variety of methodologies and tools, to surface relevant, timely and actionable user insights.
- Deliver results in a clear, concise, and compelling format; effectively summarizing findings and presenting thoughtful and understandable analysis and recommendations.
- Deliver findings presentations to product and design teams, as well as senior-level audiences (VP+).
- With assistance from the Lead UX Researcher and Senior UX Research manager, effectively prioritize research requests, ensuring alignment to product roadmaps and business goals.
- Contribute to the UX Research team’s collective understanding of our users and their current experience, filing reports in a centralized index, and owning the regular curation of findings for insight area reports.
- Identify roadblocks and inefficiencies with current workflows and processes, and work with UX Research team leaders to address.
- Mentoring and coaching junior UX researchers, including overseeing research studies, instilling research best practices, and providing feedback.
Required skills & experience:
- BS or BA degree (or equivalent experience) in Human-Computer Interaction, User Experience/User Interface Design, Human Centered Design (HCD), Psychology or related area.
- 5+ years' experience working in the field of User Experience Research or equivalent field, preferably in ecommerce/retail or similar industry.
- Intermediate knowledge of conducting unmoderated and remote testing on UserTesting, UserZoom or similar tools.
- Experience creating and analyzing surveys, tree sort tests, card sorting, etc. using tools like Optimal workshop.
- Experience designing effective research studies for individuals and groups with unique and specialized (ADA compliant) interaction needs.
- Very comfortable conducting moderated user sessions in-person or online.
- Fluency in both qualitative and quantitative methodologies (e.g., interviewing, field studies, questionnaire development and survey research, experiments, usability studies, contextual inquiry, instrumentation, biometrics, etc.).
- Experience designing and executing research programs that have positively affected the outcome of user experiences, product teams, business goals and strategic planning.
- Excellent written and oral communication.
- Ability to persuade through compelling presentations and impactful storytelling.
- Ability to distill ideas into clear and succinct artifacts.
- Ability to autonomously self-organize, and take ownership and responsibility of assigned research projects.
- Self-led a capable of working with minimal supervision, escalating for feedback when needed
Examples of your work that support the above-listed qualifications.
- Acknowledge the presence of choice in every moment and take personal responsibility for your life.
- Possess an entrepreneurial spirit and continuously innovate to achieve great results.
- Communicate with honesty and kindness and create the space for others to do the same.
- Lead with courage, knowing the possibility of greatness is bigger than the fear of failure.
- Foster connection by putting people first and building trusting relationships.
- Integrate fun and joy as a way of being and working, aka doesn’t take yourself too seriously.
Immigration support is potentially available for this role.
Immigration support is potentially available for this role.
Compensation and Benefits Package
lululemon’s compensation offerings are grounded in a pay-for-performance philosophy that recognizes exceptional individual and team performance. The typical hiring range for this position is from $117,600 - $154,400 annually; the base pay offered is based on market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and internal equity. As part of our total rewards offering, permanent employees in this position may be eligible for our competitive annual bonus program, subject to program eligibility requirements.
At lululemon, investing in our people is a top priority. We believe that when life works, work works. We strive to be the place where inclusive leaders come to develop and enable all to be well. Recognizing our teams for their performance and dedication, other components of our total rewards offerings include support of career development, wellbeing, and personal growth:
- Extended health and dental benefits, and mental health plans
- Paid time off
- Savings and retirement plan matching
- Generous employee discount
- Fitness & yoga classes
- Parenthood top-up
- Extensive catalog of development course offerings
- People networks, mentorship programs, and leadership series (to name a few)
Note: The incentive programs, benefits, and perks have certain eligibility requirements. The Company reserves the right to alter these incentive programs, benefits, and perks in whole or in part at any time without advance notice.
This role is classified as hybrid under our SSC Workplace Policy:
In-person collaboration is important, and much of the role can be performed remotely. Work is performed onsite at least 3 days per week.