Staff Engineer - Browse and Catalog Engineering
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2023
who we are
lululemon is an innovative performance apparel company for yoga, running, training, and other athletic pursuits. Setting the bar in technical fabrics and functional design, we create transformational products and experiences that support people in moving, growing, connecting, and being well. We owe our success to our innovative product, emphasis on stores, commitment to our people, and the incredible connections we make in every community we're in. As a company, we focus on creating positive change to build a healthier, thriving future. In particular, that includes creating an equitable, inclusive and growth-focused environment for our people.
About this team
The Staff Engineer role is in the Browse and Catalog Engineering (Search, Browse Experience and Catalog Engineering) Organization. We are a fast-growing team with the vision to enhance lululemon product to ensure we are placing it at the right place, right time at right location. We have both front-end and back-end services natively deployed on the cloud (AWS) and our backend api’s support Search, Category and PDP pages in our upper funnel.
A day in the life
As a Staff Engineer, you will work as the technical leader for the platform(s) & applications your team delivers. You will be counted on as a leader in your technology space as you contribute to all areas of development and operations (pre-production to production). You will spend a fair amount of time planning the evolution of the tools and systems that make up your platform & business applications, guiding your team’s roadmap year to year. You will contribute heavily to our Engineering principles by maintaining the practical “how we do it” documentation, and by partnering with Senior Leadership and Principal Engineers to lead a Community of Practice aimed at increasing Engineer training and development for your technology stack. Staff Engineers work to elevate our engineering community by designing/introducing tools and systems that accelerate and support our engineering best practices. The role requires to work with engineers in diverse geographies, reviewing design, code, solutions, implementation and post production support.
- Responsible for full stack design; evaluate designs and provide feedback.Influence quality standards and understand, identify, measure across entire solution.
- Identify performance issues and optimize solutions.
- Demonstrate competence of engineering concepts and theories, combining them with business understanding to design, document and implement clean and robust solutions to complex business problems.
- Collaborate with other engineering teams, business stakeholders, as well as program and product managers to define and implement technical solutions.
- Demonstrate an ability to turn business needs into functional requirements, while also explaining technical details in ways the business can understand. Participate in defining, scoping, and estimating resulting stories.
- Work closely with your peers, mentor junior developers and help the team achieve its goals.
- Maintain a high bar for code quality, testing and automation while finding opportunities to continuously improve them.
- Drive design and code reviews, ensuring the team ships high quality, scalable, maintainable, and well-tested code.
- Maintain a DevOps mindset, promoting cloud-oriented solutions while implementing and supporting monitoring, alerting, CI/CD pipelines as well as the team’s Cloud infrastructure.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in an engineering discipline, preferably computer science, or equivalent
- 10+ years of professional experience in delivering quality software, ideally across the full stack.
- Excellent proficiency in any front-end technology for ex. ReactJS is a must.
- Experience building enterprise level web applications from scratch, should be able to demonstrate deep understanding of technology choices.
- Experience with Micro frontends, RESTful architecture and micro services
- Experience with system design, architecture, scaling, and performance testing.
- Experience with integration & streaming technologies like Kafka
- Experience with Cloud technologies, proficiency with AWS is a must.
- Experience with CI/CD and testing tools. Experience with Kubernetes and Docker is a plus.
- Strong understanding of computer science fundamentals
- Experience developing solutions for retail or eCommerce businesses is a big plus.
- Acknowledge the presence of choice in every moment and take personal responsibility for your life.
- Possess an entrepreneurial spirit and continuously innovate to achieve great results.
- Communicate with honesty and kindness and create the space for others to do the same.
- Lead with courage, knowing the possibility of greatness is bigger than the fear of failure.
- Foster connection by putting people first and building trusting relationships.
- Integrate fun and joy as a way of being and working, aka doesn’t take yourself too seriously.
Compensation and Benefits Package
For Applicants: lululemon’s compensation offerings are rooted in a pay-for-performance philosophy that recognizes exceptional individual and team performance. The typical hiring range for this position is from $141,000-$185,000 annually; the base pay offered is based on market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and internal equity. As part of our competitive Total Rewards offering, permanent employees in this position may be eligible for our competitive annual bonus offering, subject to program eligibility requirements.
At lululemon, investing in our people is a top priority. We believe that when life works, work works. In addition to our competitive Total Rewards offering, we also have personal and professional development offerings. Our offerings recognize our teams for their performance and support whole person development, including support for employees on how to grow their career:
- Extended health and dental benefits, and mental health plans
- Paid time off
- Savings and retirement plan matching
- Generous employee discount
- Fitness & yoga classes
- Parenthood top-up
- Extensive catalog of development course offerings
- People networks, mentorship programs, and leadership series (to name a few)
Note: Availability of the incentive programs, benefits, and perks may be subject to your location & employment type and may have certain eligibility requirements. The Company reserves the right to alter these incentive programs, benefits, and perks in whole or in part at any time without advance notice.