Senior Engineer II - Quality Engineering
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2023
Who we are
lululemon is an innovative performance apparel company for yoga, running, training, and other athletic pursuits. Setting the bar in technical fabrics and functional design, we create transformational products and experiences that support people in moving, growing, connecting, and being well. We owe our success to our innovative product, emphasis on stores, commitment to our people, and the incredible connections we make in every community we are in. As a company, we focus on creating positive change to build a healthier, thriving future. That includes creating an equitable, inclusive, and growth-focused environment for our people.
About this team
lululemon Engineering is dedicated to building secure, reliable, and performant products for our guests and partners. We embrace the philosophies of Agile, DevOps, and SRE to accelerate our development process and provide the most enjoyable, inclusive, and supportive work environment possible. We believe our journey is more fun when it is collaborative, as we focus on the future instead of the past. As an Engineer, you will work as part of a global team supported by our business and architecture partners to help us collaboratively develop and deliver industry leading technology solutions that drive lululemon’s business goals.
A day in the life:
As a Senior Engineer II, you will work as the technical leader for the product(s) your team delivers. You will be counted on as a leader in your technology space, as you contribute to all areas of development and operations (pre-production to production). The Senior Engineer II works on the product team with a specialized focus on preparing the team for continuous delivery, by guiding the team back on-strategy regarding continuous testing. They enable OKR objectives in the team by providing examples and guidance to teams as they implement specific quality controls part of the microservice test strategy. They report to the SRE team leadership and accomplish shared lateral organization objectives. They bridge the gap between members of the development team and unlock total team quality ownership. The role is distinguishable from other engineering work. Their performance is related to moving the development team’s key objectives in quality as they perform and establish experiments that show results in quality using quantitative metrics.
The major focus of the Senior Engineer II is to be responsible for feature and architecture testability. Any feature work with unit test libs falls into this, but also at every level of test. You will be working in repositories, finding ways to build quality in and getting ideas from the whole team. You will be using instrumented code metrics to stay on top of your objectives, to show outcomes quantitatively.
- Leading development team members in all stages of their career toward writing testable code
- Actively monitor key metrics, reports on trends, and make improvement recommendations
- Collecting metrics and vetting data integrity collected in the build machine
- Writes unit, component, contract, integration, end to end and health check tests
- Performing operational work and service configuration changes
- Ensuring UI tests are only a small part of the overall test portfolio
- Ensuring the test quadrant diagram is easy for everyone to own
- Ensuring that people own their roles and track any slips in testability ownership
- Communicating tested surface area to QA to avoid and duplicate effort
- Proactively coach on integration, contracts, build and production systems and testability
- Pull request reviews for testability
- Helping rewrite PRs stuck for testability
- Communicating testable strategy and architecture, test tool guidance and support
- Tracking and providing holistic guidance for teams to be back on-strategy regarding testability
- Instrumenting build systems and running them in a consistent way
- Implementing automation to reduce the toil required to deploy
- Optimizing all test suites in build machine
- Creating publications that report data from your analysis
- Forecasting based on quality control changes
- Providing holistic guidelines, enabling leads to bring SLO’s into the green
- Maintaining a quick-look development metrics dashboard
- Addressing high-priority issues identified in postmortems to be automated
- Helping unblock other teams with similar problems
- Completed bachelor's degree or diploma (or equivalent experience) in Computer Science, Software Engineering or Software Architecture preferred; candidates with substantial and relevant industry experience are also eligible
- 4+ years of experience as a lead engineer in front end, services, or a combined discipline
- 8+ years of engineering experience + focus on testability and lean principles of engineering
- Ability to learn, understand, and work quickly with new emerging technologies, methodologies, and solutions in the Cloud/IT technology space
- Ability to assume the leadership/mentorship of Engineers
- Advanced understanding of web technologies (HTTP, SSL, Headers, Cookies, TCP, Caching)
- Domain or System specialist (mobile Apps, Web Stack, Pipeline, A Tool specialization)
- Knowledge of CI/CD principles and practices including virtualization such as K8s, Docker, etc.
- Experience working with bug tracking and task management software such as JIRA, Bugzilla, etc.
- Experience developing solutions for retail or eCommerce businesses and other relevant domains such as manufacturing & logistics, supply chain, or corporate shared services
- Acknowledge the presence of choice in every moment and take personal responsibility for your life.
- Possess an entrepreneurial spirit and continuously innovate to achieve great results.
- Communicate with honesty and kindness and create the space for others to do the same.
- Lead with courage, knowing the possibility of greatness is bigger than the fear of failure.
- Foster connection by putting people first and building trusting relationships.
- Integrate fun and joy as a way of being and working, aka doesn’t take yourself too seriously.
Immigration support is potentially available for this role.