Director, Design, Men's Casual
lululemon’s purpose, to elevate the world by realizing the full potential within every one of us, is as dynamic as the company’s history and current momentum.
Founded in Vancouver in 1998 with the intent to bring technical athletic fabrics to yoga, lululemon’s first office was a product design studio by day turned yoga studio at night. What was then a very practical solution to paying the rent has ultimately come to define what differentiates lululemon. What has made the company wildly successful has been its steadfast focus on empowering its stores to become community hubs for lululemon’s consumers (Guests) to live the Sweatlife—a combination of sweating, growing and connecting together—as well as participate in lululemon sweaty activities.
Today, lululemon is a publicly traded (LULU) $8.1B global business with more than 30,000+ employees and over 650+ stores across four continents and 17 countries. lululemon’s products include Performance Apparel for women and men (pants, shorts, tops, jackets) for healthy activities such as yoga, running, training, and most other sweaty pursuits, On the Move Apparel (OTM) for women and men (RTW tops, bottoms, outerwear, knits and wovens), Accessories (bags, socks, underwear, yoga mats/equipment, and water bottles), and most recently, footwear.
2022 was an exceptional year from a product newness and innovation standpoint, fueled by the Science of Feel with women’s revenue increasing 30%, men’s growing 22%, and accessories up 70%, versus 2021. Our results were driven by expansion within our core categories with the launch of our Senseknit fabric technology and cold weather run styles, and we grew our Play categories with our golf, tennis, and hike capsules. And while footwear remains a test and learn for us, we’re pleased with our results and are thrilled to bring head-to-toe solutions to our guests.
In the fourth quarter of 2022, net revenue increased 30% to $2.8 billion, and we saw a nearly 30% increase in transactions by new guests, and a more than 35% increase in transactions by existing guests. Ecomm increased 39% compared to the same quarter last year.
The power of our brand translated to growth across regions in 2022—North America grew 29% and International increased 35% compared to last year. As the impacts of COVID-19 normalize, we expect our momentum to accelerate, and we are excited for the opportunity in China in 2023 and beyond. In Q4, revenue in China increased over 30% versus the same period last year. We opened 29 new stores this year, our largest annual number ever in China Mainland.
lululemon has made a series of commitments to ensure the company fully reflects the communities it serves and has established its IDEA team, which stands for Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Action. The company stands with employees, ambassadors and guests around the world who have been deeply impacted by the acts of violence, xenophobia and racism. Through commitment from the senior leadership team, dedicated resources, company-wide impact, sustainable HR programs, in-depth reviews and real accountability, the organization is focused on driving positive change in its communities every day.
Calvin McDonald (CEO), the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) and Board remain committed to growth. We recently announced our next five-year growth plan, which builds upon the success of the Power of Three. Our plan calls for doubling our Men’s business while delivering double-digit growth in Women’s, doubling our digital business while also achieving double-digit growth in stores, and quadrupling our International business. And we intend to double our total revenue – from $6.25B to $12.5B – by the end of 2026, with an annual EPS growth greater than sales growth.
In 2021, lululemon also advanced an Impact Agenda and multi-year commitments to drive meaningful, positive change in the world. lululemon made inspiring progress across our three core pillars—Be Human, Be Well, and Be Planet—addressing pressing social and environmental issues that impact our people, communities, and the planet.
Sun Choe, lululemon’s Chief Product Officer, wants lululemon to do what she believes no other retailer has done well before: to continue to exceed guest expectations on both the solves and quality of product, as the volume of product designed and distributed grows exponentially and globally. Thoughtful design and a timeless assortment will be critical to ensuring lululemon grows in a way that doesn’t negatively impact quality.
From its inception, lululemon has always sought to create clothes that are both functional, and technically beautiful. As designers, we embrace the notion that “why” we make something is just as important as “what” we are making. Our design philosophy is grounded in creating well-crafted clothing that feels great to wear, fits perfectly and provides a solution.
Just as our black stretchy pants ultimately led to the creation of the athleisure wear category and an entirely new way of dressing, we believe lululemon has the global reach and reputation to do it again…
We believe we are experiencing a moment in time where women and men all over the world are reconsidering what they want to wear. Fundamentally, re-evaluating the role clothing will play in helping them live the lives they want to live.
The role is a direct report into our VP, Design Men’s and will oversee a team of 9+ FTEs.
The Director, Design Men’s Casual will work closely with Women’s Design, Accessories Design, Concept, Special Projects Design and Footwear Design.
- Under the direction and mentorship of the VP, Men’s Design, create & execute the vision for Men’s Casual Design. Lead seasonal & long-term vision for Men’s Casual design
- Lead a team of experienced designers focusing on silhouette, fabric, trim & technology. Give clear directions, enabling the team to innovate.
- Partner across Merchandising, Innovation, Product Development and beyond to build a strategy of how to grow our mainline business, evolve franchises and push forward key innovations.
- Ensure creative direction is supported through line plan creation, seasonal sketch and protype reviews to execute design intent.
- Technical understanding of performance fabrics in both knits and wovens and ability to clearly brief the raw materials team for development.
- Partner with Merchandising teams to create awareness of how the line is currently performing in store.
- Consistent focus on developing the team, nurturing creative talent.
- Women’s, Accessories, Footwear, Special Projects & Concept Design
- Product Development
- Raw Materials
- Supply Chain
- Apparel Innovation
Have an in-depth knowledge of fit, form, function & trend relevant product. You have a strong taste level towards the foundations of making beautiful product. You are able to see the current opportunities within lululemon’s product to elevate & create newness. Ability to lead our Men’s Casual Design team towards a new vision, with a focus towards creating industry leading product.
You have a strength in designing product for large organizations, with an exposure / understanding of performance product. You appreciate the need to balance form with function, creating product that can solve the unmet needs of our guests.
You have many years’ experience leading teams. You look to achieve goals through your people, bringing to life both our business & each individual's best. Teamwork and clear communication are essential.
You value the experience and opinion of everyone. You create space for those to be shared.
You have a clear track record of growing businesses in terms of developing new product through vision to execution. You balance commerciality and future thinking.
- 12-15 years minimum experience required, combining industry experience and people management
- An understanding in 3D design
- Proficiency with Adobe Photoshop, Excel, Word, Mac platform
- Proficient in Adobe Illustrator
- BA, BFA or BS in Design required (or equivalent)
- Acknowledge the presence of choice in every moment and take personal responsibility for your life.
- Possess an entrepreneurial spirit and continuously innovate to achieve great results.
- Communicate with honesty and kindness and create the space for others to do the same.
- Lead with courage, knowing the possibility of greatness is bigger than the fear of failure.
- Foster connection by putting people first and building trusting relationships.
- Integrate fun and joy as a way of being and working, aka doesn’t take yourself too seriously.