Staff Engineer - Product Technology
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Saturday, August 5, 2023
who we are
lululemon is an innovative performance apparel company for yoga, running, training, and other athletic pursuits. Setting the bar in technical fabrics and functional design, we create transformational products and experiences that support people in moving, growing, connecting, and being well. We owe our success to our innovative product, emphasis on stores, commitment to our people, and the incredible connections we make in every community we're in. As a company, we focus on creating positive change to build a healthier, thriving future. In particular, that includes creating an equitable, inclusive and growth-focused environment for our people.
About this team
The Staff Engineer role is in the Product (Merchandising, Planning, Data & Analytics and Pricing ) Technology Organization. We are a fast-growing team with the vision to enhance lululemon product to ensure we are placing it at the right place, right time at right location. We have both front-end and back-end services natively deployed on the cloud (AWS) and Snowflake. Merchandising, pricing, Planning, reporting & analytics are core business functions that we already support today.
A day in the life
As a Staff Engineer, you will work as the technical leader for the platform(s) & applications your team delivers. You will be counted on as a leader in your technology space as you contribute to all areas of development and operations (pre-production to production). You will spend a fair amount of time planning the evolution of the tools and systems that make up your platform & business applications, guiding your team’s roadmap year to year. You will contribute heavily to our Engineering principles by maintaining the practical “how we do it” documentation, and by partnering with Senior Leadership and Principal Engineers to lead a Community of Practice aimed at increasing Engineer training and development for your technology stack. Staff Engineers work to elevate our engineering community by designing/introducing tools and systems that accelerate and support our engineering best practices. The role requires to work with engineers in diverse geographies , reviewing design, code, solutions, implementation and post production support.
- Responsible for feature design; evaluate designs and provide feedback
- Influence quality standards and understand, identify, measure across entire solution
- Identify performance issues and optimize solutions
- Demonstrate competence of engineering concepts and theories, combining them with business understanding to design, document and implement clean and robust solutions to complex business problems
- Collaborate with other engineering teams, business stakeholders, as well as program and product managers to define and implement technical solutions
- Demonstrate an ability to turn business needs into functional requirements, while also explaining technical details in ways the business can understand. Participate in defining, scoping, and estimating resulting stories
- Work closely with your peers, mentor junior developers and help the team achieve its goals
- Maintain a high bar for code quality, testing and automation while finding opportunities to continuously improve them
- Drive design and code reviews, ensuring the team ships high quality, scalable, maintainable, and well-tested code
- Maintain a DevOps mindset, promoting cloud-oriented solutions while implementing and supporting monitoring, alerting, CI/CD pipelines as well as the team’s Cloud infrastructure
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in an engineering discipline, preferably computer science, or equivalent
- 10+ years of professional experience in delivering quality software, ideally across the full stack
- Excellent proficiency in an Object-Oriented language, Java is a must.
- Experience building enterprise level web applications from scratch, should be able to demonstrate deep understanding of technology choices
- Experience with RESTful architecture and micro services
- Experience with system design, architecture, scaling, and performance testing. Experience building services a plus
- Experience with integration & streaming technologies like Kafka
- Experience with Cloud technologies, proficiency with AWS is a must.
- Experience with databases. Hands on experience with data warehouses like Snowflake and other relational databases like AWS Postgresql is a must
- Experience with CI/CD and testing tools. Experience with Kubernetes and Docker is a plus
- Familiarity with AI/ML tools and technologies is a plus.
- Strong understanding of computer science fundamentals
- Experience developing solutions for retail or eCommerce businesses and other relevant domains such as manufacturing & logistics, supply chain, or corporate shared services is a big plus
- Acknowledge the presence of choice in every moment and take personal responsibility for your life.
- Possess an entrepreneurial spirit and continuously innovate to achieve great results.
- Communicate with honesty and kindness and create the space for others to do the same.
- Lead with courage, knowing the possibility of greatness is bigger than the fear of failure.
- Foster connection by putting people first and building trusting relationships.
- Integrate fun and joy as a way of being and working, aka doesn’t take yourself too seriously.
Immigration support is potentially available for this role.