Senior Data Engineer - Finance Data & Analytics (Hybrid, Vancouver)
Accounting & Finance, Data Science
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2023
who we are
lululemon is an innovative performance apparel company for yoga, running, training, and other athletic pursuits. Setting the bar in technical fabrics and functional design, we create transformational products and experiences that support people in moving, growing, connecting, and being well. We owe our success to our innovative product, emphasis on stores, commitment to our people, and the incredible connections we make in every community we're in. As a company, we focus on creating positive change to build a healthier, thriving future. In particular, that includes creating an equitable, inclusive and growth-focused environment for our people.
about this team
The Data Engineer will be part of our Finance Data Hub team, building enterprise data streams, ingesting data from multiple data sources, and provisioning data as raw data streams and canonical business events. We are working towards integrating our Finance data sources into our federated enterprise data. The engineer would also be responsible for continuously identifying opportunities for automation and reduction of technical debt & manual data manipulations to create efficiencies & optimize data delivery. They should also work with cross-functional business teams, identify data hydration solutions, assess the feasibility, and provide recommendations to other developers on automation opportunities ensuring that delivered frameworks are scalable.
a day in the life
- Co-ordinate with multiple data source teams in getting data published to our Finance Data Warehouse
- Working with stakeholders including data, design, product, and executive teams, and assisting them with data related and technical issues
- Building Scalable Data Pipelines for generating training datasets for machine learning deliverables
- Mentoring Junior resources and drive end to end design, implementation and delivery of engineering components
- Communicating with and educate both senior and junior colleagues to further embed data science and analytics across the organization
- Strive for continuous improvement of code quality and development practices
- Willingness to adapt to and self-learn new technologies and deliver on them
- Translating business issues to technical terms
- Understanding, leveraging, and applying best practices effectively. Also leads by example and comes up with coding standards and best practices for technology
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams – business stakeholders, engineers, program management, project management, etc. - to produce the best solutions possible
- Anticipating system/application challenges and proposes solutions for the same
- Contributing to story sizing and work estimates for implementation, validation, delivery and documentation
- Reviewing user stories to ensure a quality user experience, well-defined acceptance criteria and thorough test coverage
- Participating in design and code review to ensure quality and testability of feature code
- BS in Computer Science or Related
- 5+ years of data engineering experience
- Good understanding of modern data platforms including data lakes and data warehouse, with good knowledge of the underlying architecture, preferably in Snowflake
- Proven experience in assembling large, complex sets of data that meets non-functional and functional business requirements
- Experience in identifying, designing, and implementing integration, modelling, and orchestration of complex Finance data and at the same time look for process improvements, optimize data delivery and automate manual processes.
- Working experience of performance tuning and optimization, bottleneck problems analysis, and technical troubleshooting in a, sometimes, ambiguous environment.
- Working experience of working with cloud based systems (Azure experience preferred)
- Acknowledge the presence of choice in every moment and take personal responsibility for your life.
- Possess an entrepreneurial spirit and continuously innovate to achieve great results.
- Communicate with honesty and kindness and create the space for others to do the same.
- Lead with courage, knowing the possibility of greatness is bigger than the fear of failure.
- Foster connection by putting people first and building trusting relationships.
- Integrate fun and joy as a way of being and working, aka doesn’t take yourself too seriously.
Authorization to work in Canada is required for this role.