UX/UI Co-op - Summer 2024
UX/UI Co-op - Summer 2024
Job Title: UX/UI Co-op
Term: May 2024
Duration: 4 or 8 months
Openings: 1 position
Salary Range: $3,650- $4,350 CAD per month
Application Deadline: Saturday, February 26th, 2024
By joining the Kardium team you can help make a difference in the lives of millions around the world. Kardium is developing a ground-breaking medical device for diagnosis and treatment of atrial fibrillation, a heart condition that can cause strokes, heart failure, and other heart-related complications.
As a member of the UX/UI team, you will work closely with Kardium’s Senior UX Designer, Product Management, Usability, and Software Development teams to update and promote our design system and design new features/UX improvements for the software that drives user interaction with the Globe system.
You will conduct heuristic/UX expert review of existing features and propose (and test) alternative designs, representing improvements to our software. Your work will help embed with UX/UI best practices and adherence to regulatory guidelines.
You will be instrumental to ensuring best UX/UI practices for consistency, accessibility, and usability in software used in a highly technical domain.
What you’ll be doing
You will engage in activities that develop practical and transferable skills such as:
- Participate in a cross-functional UX team. We work rapidly and using principles and methods from lean UX & design thinking: identify the problem/user goal; investigate for user insights, develop design concepts, evaluate concepts for usability & feasibility, implement tested solutions, analyze & improve
- Research and promote inspirational UX/UI design patterns, including competitive analysis and benchmarks from other domains
- Create design documentation to support the design process (wireframes, conceptual designs)
- Design UX/UI prototypes and mock-ups to test with users and guide software development
- Communicate design guidance to product development teams
- Participate in hands-on user feedback sessions
- Design graphical elements and icons as part of the user experience
What you bring to the team
Our Kardium team is smart, creative, and passionate about developing cutting-edge medical devices to help improve people’s lives. We work in a collaborative environment based on trust and respect. We know that only by working together can we solve what was thought unsolvable.
You are suited to our approach and possess these attributes:
- Partial completion of a degree or diploma in: UX design, interaction design, human computer interaction, digital media design
- Demonstrated experience creating UX /UI documentation, such as mock-ups, design guides, wireframes, and/or prototypes
- Experience with standard design tools: Adobe Suite, prototyping tools (Adobe XD, Sketch, or Figma)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Exposure to UX/UI best practices for accessibility, visual design and interaction patterns
Why work at Kardium?
A meaningful Co-op term experience, working with truly innovative technology and an ambitious team, combined with:
- Knowing every day that you are making a difference in people’s lives by helping treat a condition that debilitates millions worldwide
- A great working environment with opportunities to develop your skills and knowledge
- Opportunity to extend your knowledge by interacting with other team members in a multi-disciplinary environment that includes electrical and mechanical engineers, biologists, and specialists in human factors, and clinical and regulatory affairs
- An engaged leadership team who believes in mentoring and growing employees’ careers
- Supportive and fun colleagues with plenty of social events to encourage people connections
- And our employees think we are great too – check out Glassdoor to learn more!
Thanks in advance for your interest in Kardium!
How to apply
To apply for this position, please upload three separate documents in PDF format via our Careers Page:
- Cover Letter
- A copy of your most recent transcripts
- Optional: UX/UI portfolio or sample project
Applicants should be prepared to show in an interview a portfolio example of at least one relevant UX/UI design project.
Please note, there are also required questions below to be completed, as a part of your overall application.