Lead Software Engineer
Montreal, QC, Canada
Posted on Thursday, February 1, 2024
At Kabam, we’re constantly raising the bar of excellence in free-to-play gaming. We hire for passion and diversity so that we can triumph in our collective skill. Our teams are made up of a fusion of personalities and interests bound together by a collaborative nature, fun-loving culture, and a drive to do what it takes to make great games. And this is where you come in…
We are looking for an individual who is passionate in building and maintaining advanced gaming systems and tools. Working collaboratively with other engineers and designers, you will have a significant impact and influence in the direction of Kabam’s games. If leading and solving complex problems excites you, this is the job for you!
In this role, you can expect to:
- Play a leadership role in the design and architecture of some of the most advanced modular gameplay systems that are robust, flexible and high-performing.
- Translate requirements into technical designs and identify appropriate technologies and frameworks.
- Evaluate and select appropriate tools, libraries, and technologies to meet project goals.
- Ensure scalability, performance, security, and maintainability in the software design.
- Play a leadership role in the designing, coding, testing, and debugging of complex software applications or components.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to gather requirements and define technical specifications.
- Follow and advise on coding standards and best practices to ensure high-quality and maintainable code.
- Iterate on software based on feedback, testing, and performance analysis.
- Analyze and debug some of the most complex software issues, identifying root causes, and implementing effective solutions.
- Conduct thorough testing and verification to ensure the software meets functional and non-functional requirements.
- Investigate and resolve performance bottlenecks and optimize software for efficiency.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including product managers, designers, and other engineers, to understand requirements and deliver large-scale software solutions.
- Lead meetings, discussions, and code reviews to provide input, share knowledge, and ensure code quality.
- Expert documentation of software designs, code, and technical processes to facilitate understanding, maintainability, and future enhancements.
- Actively participate in code reviews and provide constructive feedback to improve the overall codebase quality.
- Implement server-side logic, including APIs, databases, authentication systems, and data processing pipelines.
To be successful in this role, your background includes:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent experience
- Expert-level experience with C#
- 10+ years of experience in software development, preferably in gaming with 3+ years in a leadership capacity
- Shipped multiple online titles (on Console, PC, or Mobile)
- Professional proficiency with multiple game engines, or proven ability to pick up new ones
- Strong understanding of software engineering with back-end/server-side technologies such as Node.js
- Ability to write clean, simple, well-documented code from design requirements
- Proven track record of working independently and collaboratively in a dynamic team setting
- Strong experience working with source control such as GIT or Perforce
- Experience in Android / iOS Mobile application development
- Experience using Non-Relational Databases such as MongoDB or Firebase
- Up-to-date knowledge of the latest mobile gaming trends
- Ability to effectively communicate with technical and non-technical team members
- Experience working in Agile, Kanban, or similar project management methodologies
- Bilingual (French and English) is considered an advantage
Our success is due to the hard work of our people. We share our success with our people through flexible benefits and reward programs, sweet swag, snacks, and more. Here’s a look at some of the support we provide our people:
- Extended Health Coverage: effective day one, no waiting period! Our benefits cover health, dental, life, disability, and extended paramedical services such as vision care, mental health practitioners, massage, physiotherapy, acupuncture, and much more.
- DEIB Benefits: DEIB is important to us and to our people - that’s why our benefits include gender-affirming care, fertility care, and other hormonal treatments and drugs.
- Flexible Spending Accounts: our benefits are built on a flex credit model, so you’re able to choose the coverage levels that are right for you, and allocate the rest to a group RRSP/TFSA, Health Spending account, and/or Personal Spending Account.
- RRSP Matching: everyone retires eventually, and we help our people save for their futures with a contribution matching program once you reach 90 days with us.
- PTO and Parental Leave: we offer paid parental leave, flexible paid time off, paid time off for volunteering, sick leave, and holiday closures.
- Employee and Family Assistance Program: this program provides crisis management support, immediate mental health care, and generalized support for emotional, mental, and financial well-being.
- Telus Virtual Health: we provide increased access to remote healthcare providers for prescription refills or referrals from the comfort of your home.
- Learning and growth: We encourage people to grow both personally and professionally, and support this through regular lunch & learns and an education stipend.
- Pay transparency: We share with employees the pay range their role falls within and clear career maps to determine how they can grow within their role or level-up to a promotion.
- Cool spaces: Our offices are in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Vancouver, Montreal, Prince Edward Island, and Seoul. Whether it’s summers on the rooftop patio in Downtown Vancouver, watching the fireworks in Montreal’s South Shore, or trying local eats in Downtown Charlottetown - we want our people to feel like their time spent in office is worthwhile!
- Giving back: Our ‘Agents of Change’ initiative is how we support the communities close to our heart, and we have several events and fundraisers every year that Agents of Change organize.
- Hybrid Work: We aim to provide flexible arrangements that suit all work styles. All teams at Kabam are hybrid work environments, with a minimum of 2 days in-office to foster team collaboration and bonding. Full-remote options are also available for certain positions within Kabam.
Excited by this opportunity? Kabam is dedicated to growing our diverse and inclusive workforce, so if your past experience doesn’t perfectly match the listed requirements we encourage you to apply anyways - you could be a great fit for this or other positions.
We invite you to apply now and start the conversation with us. Together, we can create and support some of the best games ever made and entertain the world!
Kabam is a world leader in developing entertaining, immersive, and highly social multiplayer games, bringing high-quality graphics, next-generation technology, and revolutionary gameplay to players around the world.
Kabam’s games, Marvel Contest of Champions, Disney Mirrorverse, and Shop Titans, have generated hundreds of millions of downloads and have received multiple awards including Apple’s Editor’s Choice and Google Play’s Best Game of the Year.
Founded in 2006, Kabam has studios and offices in Vancouver, Montreal and Charlottetown in Canada, Los Angeles and San Francisco in the United States, and in Seoul, South Korea. Kabam is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Netmarble Games.
Kabam is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer committed to building a diverse and equitable workplace, and inclusive environment for all existing and potential employees. Employment decisions are based on candidate qualifications and business need, not race, color, ancestry, place of origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, political belief, religion, creed, marital or family status, medical condition, genetic information, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, prior criminal conviction or any other protected class in accordance with federal, state or provincial and local laws and ordinances. Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.