Full Stack Software Developer - Booking
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2023
The Booking Team is looking for a full-stack developer with a couple of years of experience under their belt and wants to build software in a scalable manner with high availability requirements. Our teams maintain a core domain of Jane’s business that receives close to 900M traffic and 2.5M booked appointments each week. Our team has a customer-oriented mindset and we care deeply about how our work impacts our customers. This role is perfect for someone looking for challenging technical problems as well as a direct impact on people’s lives.
Like with all positions at Jane, this position is a remote position, allowing you to work anywhere you want across Canada. Building a delighted team who can delight our customers is part of Jane’s DNA. In our most recent company-wide health check, 99% of our team agreed that our founders demonstrate people are important to Jane’s success. On top of that, 98% of our team felt the Manager cares about them as human beings and that they are supported when needing to arrange time off from work. We’d never claim to be perfect, but we’re working hard to listen to our people and improve each day.
We really want the people who work at Jane to love being here, so it's important that we start with a bit about what makes our company unique and try to be as transparent as possible. Our values also provide some insights into Jane and hopefully, you’ll have a better idea if this might be the kind of company you want to be part of.
Before we were Jane, our Co-Founders were solving problems for their own clinics not realizing that a few years later, this team would grow to support tens of thousands of healthcare practices in more than 60 countries. Our platform is now helping to modernize the world of practice management software. We enable the likes of physiotherapists, mental health counsellors, chiropractors, and other allied health practitioners to run their practices in a digital-first way through features such as online booking, charting, scheduling, telehealth, and billing along with an evolving library of features. You can see more of them here. Although we’ve grown, still to this day, we’re rooted in solving clinics’ problems and making sure we don’t lose sight of Jane’s vision.
We have remained profitable for the past seven years, we’re product-led and growing organically (and responsibly) to the point where 85% of our customer growth is either from customer referrals or word of mouth. Growth like this is unique, especially in the world of SaaS, and it doesn’t happen by chance. We have a brilliant team of over 400 Janers who are doing an amazing job of listening to our customers, building what they need, and providing industry-leading support. We pride ourselves on flexibility & autonomy, some of our team block out their calendars to pick up their children from school (and this is normal at Jane), and we even have a #kids channel in Slack.
We’re not a clock-in clock-out system-type environment. With that being said, we’re not going to paint the picture of a perfect environment either. We’re a company that’s scaling quickly, we have many moving parts, many of us are doing this for the first time and sometimes, we don’t have processes in place or clear views which can require a lot of resourcefulness and a passion for problem-solving.
With all that to say, if you’re looking for an environment where you can grow, stretch yourself, and work with some incredibly talented people on problems that are positively impacting people's lives, Jane could be the place for you.
Compensation Expectations for the Role
Jane’s committed to paying our team members fairly, clearly, and above all, paying for growth. This role has a minimum annual salary of $90,000 and a maximum annual salary of $135,000. As you may have noticed, this salary range is quite large, and this is intentional to account for the growth someone will experience in the role throughout their time at Jane (i.e., from building the skills, to accomplished, to highly proficient, all the way to achieving excellence in the role). When hiring talented folks to join the Jane team, we’ve found that new team members are best set up for success when hired with the expectation of being fully accomplished in the role, which for this role would reflect a salary between $106,900 to $112,500. It's also possible to join Jane at a salary above or below this, which would mean a salary below $106,900 typically reflects someone who has all the potential to be fully accomplished in the role but doesn't yet possess all the skills required, while a salary above $112,500 is typically for individuals who are currently in this role at Jane and had the opportunity to make a significant positive impact on our customers, product and company with deep Jane knowledge. At Jane, we pay for growth, which means that you’ll continue to have conversations about your career development with your manager and see your compensation grow over time as you build an amazing career with us.
More information on Jane's benefits package can be found here
The impact you'll have:
- Own functionality and scalability features by taking responsibility from inception to deployment.
- Uphold our high engineering standards and bring consistency to the codebases, infrastructure, and processes you will encounter.
- Collaborate with your Product Manager and Designer counterpart to ship high impact projects that will directly impact our customers and business metrics.
- Champion our customers' use cases ensuring solving real-world problems and creating a delightful user experience.
- Write quality code that leaves the codebase in a better condition than you found it.
- Understand the tooling and best practices around testability, maintainability of code, and the ability to apply this and create a production solution that meets a high-quality bar.
- Embrace teamwork and transparency by providing input and ideas to improve team processes.
- Bring your experience with delivering thin, tested, end-to-end slices of value to customers through an agile and iterative approach.
- Ask questions to challenge the status quo to expand your knowledge of the team's domain.
The experience we feel we need:
- Extensive experience working with Ruby on Rails, C#, Java or Python.
- Experience in developing web apps using Typescript and React.
- Strong understanding of development best practices, modern technologies, and design patterns and apply them to the development lifecycle for your team to improve the team’s codebase.
- Advocate of quality code and strive to leave the codebase in a better condition than you found it.
- Ability to demonstrate self-awareness of what decisions can be made and which ones require support or input from senior team members or partners
- Strong communication and collaboration skills to work effectively within cross-functional teams
- We offer a relaxed environment at Jane, if you need to stretch during your interview, use a stand-up desk, or attend to personal matters like letting your barking dog out, that's fine. We also have a casual dress code.
- Our hiring process consists of a 30-minute Zoom call with our recruiter, where they will discuss your background, motivations, and provide information about the role, Jane, compensation, and benefits.
- Next, there will be a 1-hour interview with the hiring manager, diving deeper into your experience and motivations, with a mix of technical and non-technical questions.
- You will be given a take-home assignment, assuming you are selected, which can be completed in Java, Ruby, Python, JS and C#. If your preference is front-end, you can complete the assignment in JS/TS and React. Please note that the repository for this assignment will be deleted and not used internally or in production.
- Following that, there will be two 60 minute interviews focusing on technical and architecture topics, as well as project, customer, and values.
- Afterward, our team will hold a debriefing session to discuss their feedback. To mitigate bias, feedback is not discussed among team members until this meeting.
- Throughout the process, your recruiter will provide regular check-ins, updates, and feedback. Assuming all goes well, we will then proceed to the offer and reference check stage. If we decide to keep in touch in the future, you'll be provided with detailed feedback as to why.
At Jane, we’re committed to fostering an environment that allows you to come to work as your truest self. We believe it’s important to actively recognize, embrace, and celebrate our differences in order to make Jane an inclusive, equitable, and diverse workplace.
We want to build a team of people who make conversations rich with perspective and experience. We are committed to listening to every voice in order to learn and grow because doing this will allow us to meet the needs of the diverse community of helpers that Jane serves.
We do not tolerate discrimination, prejudice, or oppressive isms of any kind. Employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, experience, and the needs of the Jane community. We encourage anyone who requires accommodation or adjustments throughout the interview process to let us know, and we will do our best to support you.