Staff Developer - Artificial Intelligence
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2023
The JaneX team is excited to be building Jane’s first-ever AI-focused team to make Jane smarter, improving our Clinical Charting, Billing, and/or other key parts of Jane to help Practitioners and Clinic owners do their jobs faster and more effectively. The members of this team are entrepreneurs who love to invent and forge new paths. We’ll be breaking new ground, using new technologies, and unlocking new capabilities that will give Jane a competitive edge. We need this team to operate like a startup, driving towards an ambitious goal of getting to general availability (GA) within a year.
Due to the nature of this team, you will have very few big Dev Org constraints on how you work, but you will have the challenges of delivering at a seed round startup pace. It’s going to be incredibly fun, with lots of learning, and a bit of a sink-or-swim feeling. You’ll get to leverage new technologies and innovations to deliver value in a new way at a fast pace. If you’re in a stage of life where you’re overtime is not realistic for you, you may not find this team the right fit. If you’re eager to push yourself and try and achieve something truly incredible in a year, this may be the one for you.
As a member of this team, you will drive innovative solutions from zero code to production. You would be delivering this brand new functionality, leveraging technologies like OpenAI to solve new business problems and give Jane a competitive edge to Help More Helpers.
Like with all positions at Jane, this position is a remote position, allowing you to work anywhere you want across Canada. Building a delighted team who can delight our customers is part of Jane’s DNA. In our most recent company-wide health check, 99% of our team agreed that our founders demonstrate people are important to Jane’s success. On top of that, 98% of our team felt Manager cares about them as human beings and that they are supported when needing to arrange time off from work. We’d never claim to be perfect, but we’re working hard to listen to our people and improve each day.
We really want the people who work at Jane to love being here, so it's important that we start with a bit about what makes our company unique and try to be as transparent as possible. Our values also provide some insights into Jane and hopefully, you’ll have a better idea if this might be the kind of company you want to be part of.
Before we were Jane, our Co-Founders were solving problems for their own clinics not realizing that a few years later, this team would grow to support tens of thousands of healthcare practices in more than 60 countries. Our platform is now helping to modernize the world of practice management software. We enable the likes of physiotherapists, mental health counsellors, chiropractors, and other allied health practitioners to run their practices in a digital-first way through features such as online booking, charting, scheduling, telehealth, and billing along with an evolving library of features. You can see more of them here. Although we’ve grown, still to this day, we’re rooted in solving clinics’ problems and making sure we don’t lose sight of Jane’s vision.
We have remained profitable for the past seven years, we’re product-led and growing organically (and responsibly) to the point where 85% of our customer growth is either from customer referrals or word of mouth. Growth like this is unique, especially in the world of SaaS, and it doesn’t happen by chance. We have a brilliant team of over 400 Janers who are doing an amazing job of listening to our customers, building what they need, and providing industry-leading support.
We pride ourselves on flexibility & autonomy, some of our team block out their calendars to pick up their children from school (and this is normal at Jane), and we even have a #kids channel in Slack. We’re not a clock-in clock-out system-type environment. With that being said, we’re not going to paint the picture of a perfect environment either. We’re a company that’s scaling quickly, we have many moving parts, many of us are doing this for the first time and sometimes, we don’t have processes in place or clear views which can require a lot of resourcefulness and a passion for problem-solving.
With all that to say, if you’re looking for an environment where you can grow, stretch yourself, and work with some incredibly talented people on problems that are positively impacting people's lives, Jane could be the place for you.
So what’s happening in 2023? We’re iterating on our existing product to make our customers more successful and we’re working on some complex technical challenges with the goal of operating with a world-class cadence for building and deploying products. From decoupling complex parts of Jane, increasing the predictability of our roadmap, and creating a greater flow for maximum effectiveness of teams. To provide some context into our growth, in 2022, we processed over 93 million patient appointments, and our scheduling application alone receives on average, 740 million API calls per week. This is up from 250 million per week in 2021!
Of course, it's not all about the numbers, but this puts into perspective the scale of Jane, from the thousands of practitioners whose lives are made easier each day to the millions of patients receiving treatment. If you’re the type of person excited by this growth, we’d love to speak with you.
The impact you'll have:
- Applying your expertise as a 0 to 1 specialist, embodying an entrepreneurial spirit that thrives on building products from scratch. You bring a wealth of experience and can share valuable insights on the lessons and challenges encountered throughout your career. You excel in challenging situations and find motivation in overcoming them.
- Demonstrating a strong track record of successfully shipping features, embracing experimentation, learning from failures, and iterating relentlessly. Your unwavering determination fuels the drive for continuous improvement.
- Leveraging your extensive experiences to make critical technical decisions for the team, while also fostering the growth and expertise of both your team and the broader Jane organization.
- Acting as a strong advocate for our customers' needs, ensuring that your team tackles real-world problems with a focus on prioritizing safety and security during implementation.
- Possessing a deep understanding of tooling and best practices related to code testability and maintainability. You utilize this knowledge to deliver production solutions that meet high-quality standards.
- Demonstrating comprehensive knowledge and a mindset geared towards effective operations. You empower the team to monitor and maintain their infrastructure in production, prioritizing observability, traceability, and reliability.
- Thriving in the face of uncertainty, you are motivated to roll up your sleeves and figure out solutions. Instead of waiting on other experts, you take the initiative by learning through reading books, taking online courses, and conducting experiments until the task is completed.
- Displaying confidence in mentoring other developers and providing guidance on best practices and design principles as needed.
- Exercising a strong sense of ownership, continuously striving for improvement in terms of quality and productivity across deliverables, code reviews, performance, and security.
- Ensuring the team is fully informed about their commitments through an agile and iterative approach. You foster a transparent environment where goals are well-defined and understood by all team members.
The experience we feel we need:
- Experience scaling systems both vertically and horizontally using a metrics-based approach to decision-making
- Strong knowledge and experience with event- or message-driven architecture (e.g. Kafka)
- Proven track record in creating and maintaining highly performant services, through performance profiling and tuning, in any of the following languages: Java, Python or Go.
- Cloud architecture (e.g. AWS, GCP, Azure), containerization (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes) and some Infrastructure as code (e.g. Terraform or Helm) experience
- Experience applying architectural patterns and design patterns in and across services, with an eye towards clean architecture and clean coding practices
- Experience in data modelling and different types of data stores (Postgres, MySQL, Redis, MongoDB, DynamoDB, Kafka)
- The ability to share technical details clearly and a documentation approach that reduces cognitive load for the team and increases shared context of the problem space.
- If you do not meet these requirements, we still encourage you to apply.
- Experience exposing services to third-party integrators - Advanced ML professional expertise
- Strong understanding of using cloud-based AI and ML tooling to accelerate time to production.
- Our hiring process consists of a 45-minute Zoom call with our recruiter, where they will discuss your background, motivations, and provide information about the role, Jane, compensation, and benefits.
- Next, there will be a 1-hour interview with the hiring manager, delving deeper into your experience and motivations, with a mix of technical and non-technical questions.
- You will be given a take-home assignment, assuming you are selected, which will be completed in Ruby, Java, C#, Go, or Python. Please note that the repository for this assignment will be deleted and not used internally or in production.
- Following that, there will be two 90 minute interviews focusing on technical and architecture topics, as well as project, customer, and values.
- Afterward, our team will hold a debriefing session to discuss their feedback. To mitigate bias, feedback is not discussed among team members until this meeting.
- Throughout the process, your recruiter will provide regular check-ins, updates, and feedback. Assuming all goes well, we will then proceed to the offer and reference check stage. If we decide to keep in touch in the future, you'll be provided with detailed feedback as to why.
As well as a great team, you'll have…
- The ability to work from anywhere in Canada. We also have some flexibility to occasionally work outside of Canada.
- An equitable approach to compensation means compensating you for the positive impact you have on our customers, product, and people.
- Jane’s Employee Stock Option Plan. Jane is privately owned, growing very fast and operating profitably. Profitable hyper-growth rarely happens at our scale. When it does, it creates value quickly (it already has for many of our team members).
- A flexible time off package that includes your vacation time, holiday gifted time off for everyone at Jane, and your birthday off (because who wants to work on their birthday?)
- Jane provides extended health care benefits to you and your dependents starting on your very first day. You’ll receive $750 per individual Allied Health discipline along with $2,000 in coverage for Registered Clinical Counsellors, Psychotherapists, Psychologists, and Social Workers.
- A yearly $500 wellness spending account to use towards maintaining your health and wellness in whatever way works best for you.
- A one-time $500 CAD total work from home stipend for a desk and/or a chair (i.e., you can spend the entire amount on a desk or just a chair, or split the $500 how you’d like between the two).
- Parental top-up that allows Janers to plan for the future.
- Access to eCounselling, primary care, legal and financial counselling, and career coaching.
At Jane, we’re committed to fostering an environment that allows you to come to work as your truest self. We believe it’s important to actively recognize, embrace, and celebrate our differences in order to make Jane an inclusive, equitable, and diverse workplace.
We want to build a team of people who make conversations rich with perspective and experience. We are committed to listening to every voice in order to learn and grow because doing this will allow us to meet the needs of the diverse community of helpers that Jane serves.
We do not tolerate discrimination, prejudice, or oppressive isms of any kind. Employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, experience, and the needs of the Jane community. We encourage anyone who requires accommodation or adjustments throughout the interview process to let us know, and we will do our best to support you.