508 Compliance Specialist
As a Test Specialist at IBM, your analytical and technical skills will directly impact the quality of the software we create. Come work in an agile environment where you will help each iteration reach the next level. Whether the testing is manual, automated, or cognitive, you hold a key role in releasing the best deliverables to IBM’ers and our clients.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Octo, an IBM company, is an industry-leading, award-winning provider of technical solutions for the federal government. At Octo, we specialize in providing agile software engineering, user experience design, cloud services, and digital strategy services that address government’s most pressing missions. Octo delivers intelligent solutions and rapid results, yielding lower costs and measurable outcomes.
Our team is what makes Octo great. At Octo you’ll work beside some of the smartest and most accomplished staff you’ll find in your career. Octo offers fantastic benefits and an amazing workplace culture where you will feel valued while you perform mission critical work for our government. Voted one of the region’s best places to work multiple times, Octo is an employer of choice!
As a 508 Compliance Specialist at Octo, you will support compliance for all developed content for a team supporting the Veterans Affairs Section 508 Office in updating its policies and procedures documentation. This position will be responsible for remediation of electronic documents, to ensure federal accessibility rules and regulations are met or exceeded. The candidate must have a thorough understanding of Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and be able to apply this knowledge to create strategies and processes for ensuring maximum accessibility of client deliverables.
We were founded as a fresh alternative in the Government Consulting Community and are dedicated to the belief that results are a product of analytical thinking, agile design principles and that solutions are built in collaboration with, not for, our customers. This mantra drives us to succeed and act as true partners in advancing our client’s missions.
The Digital Transformation Center (DTC) supports Veterans Affairs (VA) with onboarding and maintaining enterprise SaaS and PaaS solutions used to support the mission of serving our Veterans and their associated stakeholders. We are digitizing information and processes for improved implementation, leveraging modern tools and low code/no code for reusability and faster delivery.
- Provide remediation services for WORD, PDF, and Excel records, that may or may not contain redactions and may or may not be images
- Conduct section 508 requirements for PDF and Excel documents. Specific expertise is needed for 508 requirements in order to troubleshoot issues and create accessible documents
- Remediate documents containing redactions
- Remediate documents that are images
- Remediate documents that are unable to apply Optical Character Recognition software
- The contractor shall not solely rely on automation to assist with making documents 508 compliant
- The contractor shall make and ensure all documents are compliant with agency’s standards
- Remediate documents to ensure 508 compliance
- Remediate documents with the time specified by the VA Project Manager (PM)
- Document that the documents fully passes the VA checklists
- Notify the PM when a document requires the insertion of Alt text
- Perform final document remediation within ten (10) business days after the PM has reviewed and returned the work product to the contractor for final remediation The process for remediation shall include:
- 1) The first remediation work product
- 2) Review and corrections of the work product returned to the contractor
- 3) Delivery of final remediated documents(s)
Years of Experience: Minimum of 3 years of experience with Section 508 compliance and remediation using appropriate tools
Education: Bachelor’s Degree or higher, and DHS Trusted Tester certification
Location: Remote within the United States.
Clearance: Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust security clearance.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Minimum of 3 years of experience with Section 508 compliance and remediation using appropriate tools
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher, and DHS Trusted Tester certification
- Provides assistance and advice accessibility policies and helps ensure compliance with all required government standards
- Has knowledge of WCAG 2.0/Section 508 accessibility standards and best practices, and experience with remediation
- Experience validating front-end features for 508 compliance against Web Accessibility standards, including test development, administration, outcome evaluation
- Clearance: Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust security clearance.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Experience or expertise using, managing, and/or testing API Gateway tools and Rest APIs (desired)
- Experience with test automation frameworks and tools (e.g., JUnit, TestNG, Selenium)
- Proven experience as a Quality Assurance Engineer with a focus on Java and Python applications.
- 2+ Experience in Software Testing
- Knowledge of continuous integration and continuous deployment (CI/CD) processes.
- Familiarity with agile development methodologies.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Advanced organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple assignments.
- Strong written and oral communication skills