Project Manager/Technical Writer
At IBM, our Project Managers excel by leading and coordinating a project team’s overall performance, scope, cost, and deliverables. Our clients rely on timely and efficient status reports, and as Project Manager, you will drive the charge with project direction, metric definition, and performance management. If you are ready to help our clients and project teams succeed, we would love to meet you!
Your Role and Responsibilities
Octo, an IBM company, is an industry-leading, award-winning provider of technical solutions for the federal government. At Octo, we specialize in providing agile software engineering, user experience design, cloud services, and digital strategy services that address government’s most pressing missions. Octo delivers intelligent solutions and rapid results, yielding lower costs and measurable outcomes.
Our team is what makes Octo great. At Octo you’ll work beside some of the smartest and most accomplished staff you’ll find in your career. Octo offers fantastic benefits and an amazing workplace culture where you will feel valued while you perform mission critical work for our government. Voted one of the region’s best places to work multiple times, Octo is an employer of choice!
As a Project Manager/Technical Writer at Octo,you will support multiple projects of medium to large scale and serve as the primary person responsible for technical writing and editing of all final deliverables. The ideal candidate will be able to recommend and implement improvements to the project and deliver substantial value to our customers and team members. This individual will support the Program Manager, to include providing technical direction, project management and coordination functions, supervision, coaching and mentoring to a team. You will write, edit, and proofread contract deliverables of various size, scope, and content targeting a variety of audiences. You will support the team in editing narrative and graphic products to identify and correct grammatical formatting and logic errors and to identify logical inconsistencies. You will work with the team to review documents, compile inputs/corrections, resolve incompatible comments, and provide final publishable documentation. Strongly prefer previous experience supporting the Department of Veterans Affairs and/or other federal organizations.
We were founded as a fresh alternative in the Government Consulting Community and are dedicated to the belief that results are a product of analytical thinking, agile design principles and that solutions are built in collaboration with, not for, our customers. This mantra drives us to succeed and act as true partners in advancing our client’s missions.
This program within the Department of Veterans Affairs will provide a cross-functional team capable of developing data products for emergent enterprise requirements by leveraging the toolset available on the Summit Data Platform. This team will provide responsive support for emerging data and analytics needs that originate from executive leadership and VA offices across the enterprise. These data integration and data insights will help solve emergent challenges for the Department in response to changing laws, regulations and needs for reporting to external entities, and ultimately will provide better support to the veterans.
Years of Experience: 8+ of related experience required including some technical project management/coordination experience and some technical writing/editing experience.
Education: Bachelor’s degree OR 8 years of additional experience will be considered in lieu of degree.
Location: Fully remote in the United States.
Clearance: Ability to obtain a Public Trust clearance.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- See below for experience and educational requirements.
- Must be able to define and implement project metrics for scope, schedule, cost, and quality.
- Must have intermediate level skills with project management tools such as MS Project, SharePoint, Visio, and capacity models.
- Technical documentation (confluence, JIRA, word) e.g. SOPs, user manuals, etc.
- Client-facing communications (emails, PowerPoint, knowledge transfer documents)
- Experience leveraging data and metrics to help drive decision making.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Solid interpersonal skills and demonstrable team building skills. Must exhibit exceptional relationship management skills.
- Experience adapting to new technologies is a must.
- Ability to work collaboratively and lead/work within a dynamic team environment.
- Clearance: Ability to obtain a Public Trust clearance.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Strongly prefer experience supporting the Department of Veterans Affairs and/or other federal or government organizations.
- Experience managing projects within an Agile environment strongly preferred.
- Prefer related certifications (PMP, CSM or PSM).