At IBM, work is more than a job – it’s a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you’ve never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world’s most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Octo, an IBM company, is an industry-leading, award-winning provider of technical solutions for the federal government. At Octo, we specialize in providing agile software engineering, user experience design, cloud services, and digital strategy services that address government’s most pressing missions. Octo delivers intelligent solutions and rapid results, yielding lower costs and measurable outcomes.
Our team is what makes Octo great. At Octo you’ll work beside some of the smartest and most accomplished staff you’ll find in your career. Octo offers fantastic benefits and an amazing workplace culture where you will feel valued while you perform mission critical work for our government. Voted one of the region’s best places to work multiple times, Octo is an employer of choice!
As Database Developer/Engineer, you will work within a team providing data analysis, operations & maintenance, solution development, enhancements and reporting services to our GSA customer using Agile development processes. You will work with varying huge data sources with different schemas and data elements to produce an effective and efficient outcome. You have an eye for spotting data correlations, troubleshooting, maintenance and a desire to dig into large datasets to find technical solutions and deliver business value.
We were founded as a fresh alternative in the Government Consulting Community and are dedicated to the belief that results are a product of analytical thinking, agile design principles and that solutions are built in collaboration with, not for, our customers. This mantra drives us to succeed and act as true partners in advancing our client’s missions.
The Program Mission…
This program will support the General Services Administration’s Information Technology mission to provide development and operational support of new and existing legacy mission-enabling applications. The team will work to modernize current applications by breaking them down into loosely coupled micro-services and leveraging a continuous integration / continuous delivery pipeline to enable an agile DevOps Strategy.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science/Engineering or related field.
Clearance: Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust Clearance
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- 8-12 years overall experience in technology. Government consulting experience desired but not required
- At least 4 years of experience working with Postgres in production environment, administrating the database instance, writing SQL queries / stored procedures, troubleshooting query performance issues, etc…
- Experience with migrating databases to Postgres
- Experience with upgrading Postgres in production
- Experience working in SRE /DevOps style environment
- Be a major player in all phases of the development lifecycle from user experience, design, architecture, development, testing, documentation, compliance, delivery, and maintenance.
- Work on sprint teams using agile, rapid development in environment using Continuous Integration and deployment techniques.
- Work independently and efficiently in high-paced environment.
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Clearance: Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust Clearance
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Intermediate proficiency in Python is highly desired, however not required. Candidate will be expected to quickly learn python after starting.
- Experience writing automated unit and integration tests
- Experience with AWS services such as S3, Cloudwatch, DynamoDB, RDS, MKS, Lambda, API Gateway
- Experience with tools such as Jenkins, Artifactory, and CI/CD pipelines
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes, EKS
- Experience with Bash/Shell scripting
- Familiarity with government security frameworks like FISMA
- Agile development methodology experience (SAFe, LESS, Extreme, etc.).