Application Performance Management (APM) Architect
At IBM, work is more than a job – it’s a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you’ve never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world’s most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Octo, an IBM company, is an industry-leading, award-winning provider of technical solutions for the federal government. At Octo, we specialize in providing agile software engineering, user experience design, cloud services, and digital strategy services that address government’s most pressing missions. Octo delivers intelligent solutions and rapid results, yielding lower costs and measurable outcomes.
Our team is what makes Octo great. At Octo you’ll work beside some of the smartest and most accomplished staff you’ll find in your career. Octo offers fantastic benefits and an amazing workplace culture where you will feel valued while you perform mission critical work for our government. Voted one of the region’s best places to work multiple times, Octo is an employer of choice!
As an Application Performance Management (APM) Architect you will lead our efforts in optimizing system performance and ensuring the reliability of our technology ecosystem. In this role, you will specialize in Dynatrace and bring expertise in other APM tools to provide comprehensive monitoring solutions.
We were founded as a fresh alternative in the Government Consulting Community and are dedicated to the belief that results are a product of analytical thinking, agile design principles and that solutions are built in collaboration with, not for, our customers. This mantra drives us to succeed and act as true partners in advancing our client’s missions.
The Digital Transformation Center (DTC) supports Veterans Affairs (VA) with onboarding and maintaining enterprise SaaS and PaaS solutions used to support the mission of serving our Veterans and their associated stakeholders. We are digitizing information and processes for improved implementation, leveraging modern tools and low code/no code for reusability and faster delivery.
- Design, implement, and manage end-to-end APM solutions, with a focus on Dynatrace, AppDynamics, Splunk, or other relevant tools.
- Collaborate with diverse teams to understand business requirements and configure APM solutions to meet performance monitoring needs.
- Conduct system analysis, troubleshooting, and optimization across various applications and infrastructure components.
- Develop and maintain customized dashboards, reports, and alerts to offer real-time insights into the health and performance of the system.
- Stay abreast of industry best practices and emerging technologies in APM, ensuring our monitoring strategies align with the latest advancements.
- Work closely with IT teams to seamlessly integrate APM solutions into the existing infrastructure and applications.
- Provide mentorship and guidance to junior team members on APM best practices, troubleshooting, and tool-specific nuances.
- Perform regular performance assessments, offering recommendations for improvements to enhance system reliability and responsiveness.
Years of experience: 7 years if IT experience with proven experience as an APM Architect or in a similar role with expertise in Dynatrace, AppDynamics, Splunk, and other APM technologies. Relevant certifications in APM technologies or related areas are required such as Dynatrace Associate/Professional, AppDynamics Administrator/Professional, Cloud certifications such as AWS Solution Architect, Microsoft Azure Solutions Architect
Education: Bachelors in computer science or equivalent technical degree.
Location: Fully remote in the United States.
Clearance: Ability to obtain a Public Trust clearance.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Bachelors in computer science or equivalent technical degree.
- 7+ years of IT experience with proven experience as an APM Architect or in a similar role with expertise in Dynatrace, AppDynamics, Splunk, and other APM technologies.
- Relevant certifications in APM technologies or related areas are required such as Dynatrace Associate/Professional, AppDynamics Administrator/Professional, Cloud certifications such as AWS Solution Architect, Microsoft Azure Solutions Architect
- ITIL Foundation Certification is preferred.
- Comprehensive understanding of application architecture, infrastructure, and cloud environments.
- Proficiency in configuring and customizing multiple APM tools for optimal performance monitoring.
- In-depth knowledge of APM features such as real user monitoring, synthetic monitoring, and effective root cause analysis.
- Strong problem-solving skills, including the ability to analyze complex systems and identify performance bottlenecks.
- Familiarity with scripting languages (e.g., Python, PowerShell) for automation and customization across various APM tools.
- Excellent communication skills to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams and convey technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise