Software Developer Intern (May 2024 - 16 months)
At IBM, work is more than a job – it’s a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you’ve never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world’s most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
This position resides in Markham, ON and is a 16 month work term commencing in May 2024. It is mandatory that all applicants are enrolled in full-time studies at a post-secondary institution and returning to full-time studies upon completion of the work term.
IBM Automation is currently looking for a Software Developer intern to join our global development team building the next generation of AI-infused, cloud-native management tools for hybrid and multi-cloud environments.
As a Software Developer intern on the CI/CD team, you will be part of a multi-disciplinary squad working on our development pipeline. The main concepts attributed to CI/CD are continuous integration, continuous delivery, and continuous deployment. CI/CD is a solution to the problems that integrating new code can cause for development and operations teams. Specifically, CI/CD introduces ongoing automation and continuous monitoring throughout the lifecycle of apps, from integration and testing phases to delivery and deployment. Taken together, these connected practices are often referred to as a “CI/CD pipeline” and are supported by development and operations teams working together in an agile way with either a DevOps or Site reliability engineering (SRE) approach. Your work will involve close collaboration with Architects, DevOps Engineers and Offering Managers across our global organization.
The successful candidate will have technical skills in software development with multiple languages, agile practices, distributed systems, networking, data collection and observability technologies running on Linux and Kubernetes/OpenShift.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Skills in Linux, virtualization technologies (VMware, KVM), networking and cloud providers
- Experience working with CI/CD processes, DevOps methodologies and expertise with tools such as GitOps
- Experience with REST API back-end development
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with world wide teams.
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and do whatever it takes.
- Must be eligible to work 16 months starting in May
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Software development experience of backend systems using any of the following languages: Golang, Python, Java, Ansible, linux and bash scripting
- experience building and working with automation and test frameworks, pipeline technologies Travis, Jenkins, Prow, Tekton, as well as automated deployment and testing tools Terraform, Chef, Puppet, Argo
- Experience working with Kubernetes/OpenStack or related cloud-native technologies and containerization, utilizing Red Hat Openshift and OLM/ODLM principles and operators
- Registered in a formal co-op/internship program