Frontend Software Development Manager
Who we are:
For over 20 years, Global Relay has set the standard in enterprise information archiving with industry-leading cloud archiving, surveillance, eDiscovery, and analytics solutions. We securely capture and preserve the communications data of the world’s most highly regulated firms, giving them greater visibility and control over their information and ensuring compliance with stringent regulations.
Though we offer competitive compensation and benefits and all the other perks one would expect from an established company, we are not your typical technology company. Global Relay is a career-building company. A place for big ideas. New challenges. Groundbreaking innovation. It’s a place where you can genuinely make an impact – and be recognized for it.
We believe great businesses thrive on diversity, inclusion, and the contributions of all employees. To that end, we recruit candidates from different backgrounds and foster a work environment that encourages employees to collaborate and learn from each other, completely free of barriers.
We encourage you to apply if your qualifications and experience are a good fit for any of our openings.
As a Frontend Software Development Manager, you are an experienced 2nd line manager who will lead a software organization, consisting of multiple teams that are responsible for delivering highly scalable distributed services and applications. You will act as the anchor for building a top-tier team that will transform Information Management through technology that is smart, sophisticated, user-centric, and highly scalable. We’re building teams and a culture that respects the craft of software engineering, applying our expertise to problems that really matter.
If you want to solve complex problems that make clear and real-world impact in people’s lives, join us!
As a Frontend Software Development Manager, you will:
- Lead a team of talented Engineers who like to ship code and tackle hard engineering problems
- Be a hands-on 2nd line Engineering team manager who will spend up to 60% of your time on people management, recruitment and organizing teams, and 40% of your time in design reviews, sprint planning and other Agile artifacts
- Partner with peers across Engineering, Product Management, Operations, Support, and Human Resources to drive delivery of cross-functional projects and address technical and resourcing challenges in your organization
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members: help develop their careers, and assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals
- Build teams that are collaborative, inclusive, and respectful of each other
- Provide continuous feedback, address underperformance, and recognize the individual strengths and contributions of your team members
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the team’s code, architecture, and processes
- In collaboration with Product Mangers, Test Managers, and your Engineers, maintain a prioritized backlog and create short-term and long-term goals for your team
- Help your team build relationships across functions such as Support, Operations, Test, and other teams to ensure Global Relay’s continuing success
- Appreciate and advocate for information security and secure coding practices
- A degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- 2+ years of experience as a 2nd line Software Development Manager or Senior Manager overseeing an organization of 20 people or greater, including managing 1st line Managers or Leads
- 3+ years of experience as a hands-on 1st line Software Development Manager or a Team Lead, managing a team of 3 people or greater
- 8+ years of software development experience, shipping enterprise grade software, using multiple languages and frameworks
- Extensive people management experience, and experience aggressively recruiting for and building a software development organization
- Experience building and managing large, highly scalable distributed services, complex databases, microservices, and API’s in service and resource-oriented architectures
- Experience with large complex databases and managing data quality and lifecycle issues
- Understanding of modern frameworks and techniques for building web application user interfaces
- Lead a team of talented Frontend Engineers who like to ship code and tackle hard engineering problems
- Work hand in hand with UI/UX to ensure the design vision is delivered
- Experience with any of the following is an asset:
- Docker or Kubernetes
- CI/CD systems
- Big Data technology
- Security in an enterprise environment
Global Relay advertises the pay range for this role in accordance with the pay transparency laws of the province of British Columbia. In addition to the annual base salary (range listed below), compensation for this role also includes a corporate bonus, extended health benefits, and RRSP Matching, and (for applicable Sales roles) an enticing commission structure.
What you can expect:
At Global Relay, there’s no ceiling to what you can achieve. It’s the land of opportunity for the energetic, the intelligent, the driven. You’ll receive the mentoring, coaching, and support you need to reach your career goals. You’ll be part of a culture that breeds creativity and rewards perseverance and hard work. And you’ll be working alongside smart, talented individuals from diverse backgrounds, with complementary knowledge and skills.
Global Relay is an equal-opportunity employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We seek to ensure reasonable adjustments, accommodations, and personal time are personalized to meet the unique needs of every individual.
We understand flexible work arrangements are important, and we encourage that in our work culture. Whether it’s flexibility around work hours, workstyle, or lifestyle, we want to ensure our employees have a healthy work/life balance. We support and value a hybrid work model that blends collaboration with the team in the office and focus time from the comfort of your home.
To learn more about our business, culture, and community involvement, visit www.globalrelay.com.