Senior UI Designer
Who we are:
For over 20 years, Global Relay has set the standard in enterprise information archiving with industry-leading cloud archiving, surveillance, eDiscovery, and analytics solutions. We securely capture and preserve the communications data of the world’s most highly regulated firms, giving them greater visibility and control over their information and ensuring compliance with stringent regulations.
Though we offer competitive compensation and benefits and all the other perks one would expect from an established company, we are not your typical technology company. Global Relay is a career-building company. A place for big ideas. New challenges. Groundbreaking innovation. It’s a place where you can genuinely make an impact – and be recognized for it.
We believe great businesses thrive on diversity, inclusion, and the contributions of all employees. To that end, we recruit candidates from different backgrounds and foster a work environment that encourages employees to collaborate and learn from each other, completely free of barriers.
We encourage you to apply if your qualifications and experience are a good fit for any of our openings.
Global Relay's enterprise applications have a substantial footprint in the messaging & archiving space for compliance. This role provides an excellent opportunity to help solve challenging problems and create incredible experiences that significantly impact high-profile customers.
The UI Designer focuses on visually guiding the user through a product’s interface via interactive elements across multiple platforms (web, desktop and mobile). This will involve creating high-fidelity mock-ups, iconography, UI illustration and other graphic assets for a range of products and services. The UI Designer will be responsible for taking Global Relay's Design System to the next level by delivering pixel-perfect designs that bring clarity and unity to our visual language.
Working with other UI and UX Designers, Product Managers and Engineering teams in a highly customer-focused agile environment, you will be involved in the product development lifecycle from concept to delivery to help define our products' vision.
- Design and evolve the look and feel of Global Relay's visual language
- Follow a Human Centred Design approach and adhere to UX best practices
- Apply with conviction the best principles of layout composition, typography, visual hierarchy and motion design
- Deliver pixel-perfect graphic assets that are aesthetically vibrant
- Lead and create user interfaces that are sleek and easy to use
- Translate high-level requirements and interaction flows into intuitive and functional user interfaces
- Communicate your design ideas with conviction within the UX team and non-creative stakeholders
- Develop storyboards, wireframes, mock-ups, and prototypes to communicate design ideas and solutions effectively
- Design and document new components and interaction patterns for Global Relay's Design System
- Ensure new components and designs meet WCAG and WAI-ARIA accessibility standards
- Adhere to existing patterns and apply consistency accordingly
- Identify opportunities for UI improvement or differentiation
- Facilitate workshops to get cross-team alignment on new standards
- Support engineers focused on building the design system
- Measure and monitor the performance of the components you work on
- Champion and establish a solid UI practice and be accountable for the UI output
- Work alongside engineering teams to test and iterate on the interface design
- Guide engineering teams through the build and QA process
- Collaborate closely with other UI and UX Designers to find practical solutions to challenging workflows
- Coach and support junior UI designers in the team
We’re looking for a UI designer with true artistic talent and a clean, strong visual aesthetic. Relevant training and work experience are important, but we’re really looking for your talent to shine through in the work you have done.
- 5+ years of experience doing visual/UI design for web, desktop and mobile applications
- Portfolio of relevant UI design work from shipped products/ apps/ services
- Bachelor's degree in a design-related discipline is preferable
- Solid understanding of user-centered design best practices
- Strong typographic and colour theory knowledge
- Ability to create icons, illustrations and other graphic assets for the web
- Ability to create and quickly iterate on high-fidelity mock-ups
- Ability to create high-fidelity prototypes to communicate motion and screen transition
- Ability to communicate UI ideas verbally and visually in an efficient and clear manner
- Ability to take ownership and solve problems creatively
- Experience working with and contributing to design systems and component libraries
- Knowledge of responsive design and mobile design guidelines
- Knowledge of accessibility best practices and approaches
- Knowledge of conventional design tools such as Adobe Creative Suite, Figma, Sketch etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and keep organized in a dynamic environment
- Motion design experience is an asset
- Experience in an enterprise business environment and Agile is definitely an asset
Global Relay advertises the pay range for this role in accordance with the pay transparency laws of the province of British Columbia. In addition to the annual base salary (range listed below), compensation for this role also includes a corporate bonus, extended health benefits, and RRSP Matching, and (for applicable Sales roles) an enticing commission structure.
What you can expect:
At Global Relay, there’s no ceiling to what you can achieve. It’s the land of opportunity for the energetic, the intelligent, the driven. You’ll receive the mentoring, coaching, and support you need to reach your career goals. You’ll be part of a culture that breeds creativity and rewards perseverance and hard work. And you’ll be working alongside smart, talented individuals from diverse backgrounds, with complementary knowledge and skills.
Global Relay is an equal-opportunity employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We seek to ensure reasonable adjustments, accommodations, and personal time are personalized to meet the unique needs of every individual.
We understand flexible work arrangements are important, and we encourage that in our work culture. Whether it’s flexibility around work hours, workstyle, or lifestyle, we want to ensure our employees have a healthy work/life balance. We support and value a hybrid work model that blends collaboration with the team in the office and focus time from the comfort of your home.
To learn more about our business, culture, and community involvement, visit www.globalrelay.com.