Data Center Operations Specialist - L1
Who we are:
For over 20 years, Global Relay has set the standard in enterprise information archiving with industry-leading cloud archiving, surveillance, eDiscovery, and analytics solutions. We securely capture and preserve the communications data of the world’s most highly regulated firms, giving them greater visibility and control over their information and ensuring compliance with stringent regulations.
Though we offer competitive compensation and benefits and all the other perks one would expect from an established company, we are not your typical technology company. Global Relay is a career-building company. A place for big ideas. New challenges. Groundbreaking innovation. It’s a place where you can genuinely make an impact – and be recognized for it.
We believe great businesses thrive on diversity, inclusion, and the contributions of all employees. To that end, we recruit candidates from different backgrounds and foster a work environment that encourages employees to collaborate and learn from each other, completely free of barriers.
We encourage you to apply if your qualifications and experience are a good fit for any of our openings.
This position provides technical support of Global Relay’s mission critical data center facilities, server environments and related infrastructure. This includes specification, installation, and testing of server and storage systems and peripherals within established standards, as well as development and maintenance of data center support systems such as automated system provisioning, asset tracking, space planning, cable management, equipment monitoring and maintenance. Activities require timely troubleshooting of hardware including servers, storage, use of monitoring application software and operating systems to monitor, diagnose and resolve unique, non-recurring problems. These responsibilities require independent and team-based analyses, initiative and good judgment, communication and problem solving while working with little supervision. This position is intended as a long-term position supporting Data Center equipment, not a transitionary roll into network administration or server administration.
- Assist operations staff with the installation, configuration and ongoing usability of servers, storage systems, peripheral equipment and software
- Work with vendor support contacts to resolve technical problems with computer, equipment and related software
- Maintain a well-organized list of inventories of all equipment and parts
- Receiving, unpacking, assembling, racking and cabling of servers, storage systems and related components
- Ensure facility is maintained to highest standards possible to ensure 100% uptime is achieved
- Escort and supervise mechanical and electrical contractors when performing maintenance and repair work to ensure work does not jeopardize system availability
- Perform rotating shift coverage to meet all support needs
- Willing to do shift work, including night shifts and emergency coverage
- Liaise with facilities staff to ensure system availability
- Continuously fine tune and improve monitoring systems configurations and alerts
- Work closely with the Operations team to ensure high availability of monitoring systems and supporting infrastructure
- Assist in 3rd party technical audits as needed
- Monitor alerts and triage hardware specific problems
- Do periodic red-light audits to monitor hardware health
- Destruction and disposal of retired and decommissioned equipment
- Perform firmware and software updates to servers
The successful candidate will ideally have a post-secondary degree or diploma in Computer Science or Engineering related disciplines or applicable experience. Experience in supporting servers and data center needs within a mission critical environment, or have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience is an asset
Essential qualifications include:
- Excellent judgement skills in making critical decisions
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills in both verbal and written English
- Strong organization skill and initiatives
- Strong documentation skills
- Comfortable working under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Resourcefulness in problem solving abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of a large variety of server hardware configurations, able to assemble and repair server equipment
- Excellent cable management skills required. Pictures of previous cabling jobs would be an asset
- Experience working in a mission critical data center facility an asset
- Demonstrated ability to work both collaboratively in a team environment as well as independently in an effective and organized manner in a complex and challenging environment
- Ability to do repetitive tasks consistently and in a timely manner
- Good understanding of network architecture, design, and implementation an asset
- Previous experience working in an environment with formally structured change management process would be considered an asset
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as independently as needed
- Ability to learn on the go and take on additional roles and responsibilities
- Familiarity with HP monitoring tools and server support an asset
- Ability to lift and move large and awkward equipment safely
- Knowledge of electrical power distribution systems and how they are used in a data center an asset
- Familiarity with mechanical equipment systems (CRAC, CRAH, evaporative cooling) an asset
Working conditions entail working in the following environments:
- Extended periods of work in Data Center spaces, which can be noisy and have temperature extremes
- Extended periods of standing and lifting
- Working on ladders and overhead
This position requires the ability to lift and carry 50Lbs, and has prolonged periods of standing
What you can expect:
At Global Relay, there’s no ceiling to what you can achieve. It’s the land of opportunity for the energetic, the intelligent, the driven. You’ll receive the mentoring, coaching, and support you need to reach your career goals. You’ll be part of a culture that breeds creativity and rewards perseverance and hard work. And you’ll be working alongside smart, talented individuals from diverse backgrounds, with complementary knowledge and skills.
Global Relay is an equal-opportunity employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We seek to ensure reasonable adjustments, accommodations, and personal time are personalized to meet the unique needs of every individual.
We understand flexible work arrangements are important, and we encourage that in our work culture. Whether it’s flexibility around work hours, workstyle, or lifestyle, we want to ensure our employees have a healthy work/life balance. We support and value a hybrid work model that blends collaboration with the team in the office and focus time from the comfort of your home.
To learn more about our business, culture, and community involvement, visit www.globalrelay.com.