Product Counsel (Vancouver)
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2023
We’re GeoComply! We're a market-leading technology provider with teams across five countries and three continents with a global customer base. And we have no plans to slow down.
We’re revolutionizing how people and businesses use the internet to instill confidence in every online interaction. Trusted by leading brands and regulators for the past ten years, our geolocation solutions are installed on over 400 million devices and analyze over 10 billion transactions a year.
At the heart of it all is the people - we are deeply committed to creating and sustaining a world-class experience for our employees and partners, and providing for the needs of our customers.
Are you a self-starting lawyer with experience supporting product management, development, and engineering teams and IP management and development, looking for a key role in a fast-growing tech company? Do you love to align legal strategy with business goals and deliver creative, pragmatic solutions to drive results?
We are expanding our legal team at GeoComply with the addition of a Product Counsel. This is not your typical in-house role. Sure, it has all of the usual legal responsibilities, but it’s also an opportunity for you to make a mark on the product development and roadmap at a rapidly growing and innovative international tech company and support our collective efforts to drive product innovation, expansion of our IP protection and portfolio, expansion into new markets and verticals, cutting-edge privacy and AI engagement, and potential M&A activity. Working collaboratively with our Legal leadership team, Product and Engineering teams, and other business stakeholders, you will combine your legal expertise, business aptitude, and insight to support our product development function.
- Provide the business with thoughtful, actionable, responsible guidance so that we can build products that help fulfill our mission: to instill confidence in every online interaction.
- Be responsible for spotting potential legal and IP issues, making risk-based decisions on behalf of the company, and working directly with product and development teams to advance our business initiatives.
- Advise on requirements affecting all stages of a product's life cycle, including design, development, marketing, product launch, distribution, innovation, and related product legal and regulatory concerns.
- Drafting product-specific contract terms and related documentation.
- Help manage ingested technology and software license compliance, including open-source software.
- Help drive the company’s patent program and other intellectual property strategies and initiatives.
- Counsel product and development teams on intellectual property rights matters (patents, copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets).
- Develop relationships with product and development teams, understand product development strategy, conduct patent mining meetings, identify patentable inventions, and coordinate the innovation disclosure process - with support from external patent agents and lawyers.
- Provide strategic guidance to assess and mitigate legal and business risk.
- Conduct or coordinate research on a variety of legal issues.
- Work closely with other members of the Legal team, including Commercial and Privacy, to ensure prudent advancement of the company’s product, data, and licensing initiatives.
- Engage with internal and external personnel and resources to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of legal services.
Who you are
- Bachelor or Graduate Law Degree (LLB, LLM, JD); must be a member in good standing of the provincial/state Bar in a relevant jurisdiction in Canada or the United States.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience, ideally both at a leading law firm and in an in-house environment.
- Having prior in-house experience specifically counseling product and development teams on legal, compliance, IP, and business issues at a fast-moving tech company is strongly preferred.
- Strongly preferred experience in intellectual property law, including maintaining a tech company's patent and trademark portfolio, and counseling development/product and marketing teams on IP issues.
- A background in software development, product management, and/or engineering operations would be an asset.
- Able to work both independently and collaboratively, meeting demanding deadlines and managing complex projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Sound and practical business judgment with the ability to think strategically and establish trusted relationships with business teams.
- Proven ability to balance competing risks and priorities.
- Solid communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written, to internal and external stakeholder audiences. A curious, active listener who is adept at understanding competing agendas, building consensus and rapidly moving issues forward in a constructive manner.
- Passion, hunger, drive, and the ability to regularly handle a high volume of work along with tight deadlines.
- Have experience with software engineering and license compliance
- Have experience with patent mining
- Have experience working in high-growth tech companies
- Have experience in regulated industries
- Have experience with Software as a Service (SaaS)
Joining the GeoComply team means you’ll be part of an award-winning company to work, learn and grow. We are fast-paced, high-impact, and have a can-do team culture.
To be successful in our organization, you need an eager attitude, professionalism, and the confidence to willingly work to prove yourself and your ideas, and earn the trust of the organization.
Here’s why we think you’d love working with us.
We’re working towards something big
We’ve built a reputation as the global market leader for geolocation compliance solutions for over 10 years. We’re trusted by customers from all over the world, and the next few years will be particularly exciting as we continue to scale across new markets.
Our values aren’t just a buzzword
Our values are the foundation for what we as a company care about most. They signify the commitment we make to each other around how we act and what we stand for. They are our north star as we work together to build a company we’re all proud to be a part of. Learn more, here.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are at the core of who we are
In collaboration with our team and external partners, we promote DEI in our recruitment and hiring practices; scholarships and financial aid; training and mentorship programs; employee benefits, and more.
Learning is at the heart of our employee experience
At GeoComply, we foster an environment that empowers every employee to gain the knowledge and abilities needed to perform at their very best and help our organization grow. From a professional development budget to local training opportunities, knowledge-sharing sessions and more, we are continually investing in employee career growth and development.
We believe in being a force for good
We profoundly care about our impact on the world and strive to make meaningful contributions to the communities we work and live in. Our Impact division focuses on philanthropic and social responsibility initiatives, including supporting our local communities, advancing equality, and harnessing our technology to protect vulnerable groups. Learn more, here.
We care about our team
Our GeoComply team is talented, driven and hard-working, and is known for its positive attitude and energy. At GeoComply, we take care of our employees with the total package. Team members are generously rewarded with competitive salaries, incentives, and a comprehensive benefits program.
We value in-person collaboration
The benefits we have seen from teams being together have been tremendous in how we are able to collaborate and swiftly inform each other on what is happening across the company. By introducing an 80% attendance rate, we have seen the value in achieving more together as a company as we continue to foster collaboration across team members and departments.
Interested in joining our team? Send us your resume and a cover letter. We can’t wait to meet you!
- - - - - - - - - -
At GeoComply, we live our value of Act with Integrity. Our workplace is built on mutual respect and inclusion, and we welcome applicants of all backgrounds, experiences, beliefs, and identities. Creating an accessible interview experience for all candidates is important to us. If you have any requests (big or small) throughout our hiring process, please don’t hesitate to let us know so we can do our best to prioritize your needs.
We care about your privacy and want you to be informed about your rights. Please read our Applicant Privacy Notice before applying for the position.