Geographic Information System Co-op
Employment Status: Co-op Student
Salary: $21.87 Hourly
Temp Duration: 4 Months
Workplace Flexibility: No
Posting End Date: Open until filled
We’re a Canadian-owned and BC-based energy company taking steps toward a lower-carbon energy future by providing renewable energy, natural gas and electricity to more than 1.2 million customers.
We’re looking for new talent to join us as we transform BC’s energy future. Our diverse team of more than 2,600 employees is committed to a safe and inclusive culture where each of us can connect, belong and grow. Join us and let’s work together for a better BC.
We're looking for people who believe in integrity, teamwork, and accountability, that have the ability to apply their skills and knowledge to work situations, and are exploring the idea of a career in the Electrical Utility industry.
This is a 4-month term starting in May 2024.
- Work alongside an experienced Data Integrity Coordinator and assist with creating and updating asset data in FortisBC’s GIS system.
- Spatially adjust facilities data to landbase for a targeted pilot area.
- Gain experience of how a utility company works and depends on GIS for its business processes.
- Become familiar with ArcGIS, ArcFM and other GIS applications at FortisBC.
- Become familiar with the Transmission and Distribution Electrical system within FortisBC’s service area.
Qualified applicants must have graduated high school and be entering or returning to a post-secondary technology institution with the following:
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Student - Second year or third year preferred
- Current enrollment and active participation in a recognized Co-op Program
- Valid driver’s license and current abstract
- Competent public speaker
- Experience with or knowledge of ArcGIS and competence in Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- General clerical skills including typing, drafting letters and memos
- Team player
- Good organizational skills with attention to detail
- Basic computer knowledge
- Demonstrated basic knowledge of power distribution systems and construction standards.
- Experience in an electrical utility environment an asset.
Our engaging workplace offers a wide range of challenging opportunities, while being safe, inclusive and diverse. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, while supporting life-long career development. We also encourage volunteerism and nourish the need to give back to your community.
To learn more about the recruitment process with FortisBC, please visit the You’re Applying. What now? page for additional information.